06 Forester 2.5 XT just purchased

wilfy

Hello there,

I have just bought a 2006 Forester XT. it's got 103,000 on the clock and came with full service history - I had been keeping an eye for a while, paid £3500 which I think is reasonable. Cambelt done at 96,000 and everything (electrics/mechanical) appears be functioning ok. The only 'fault' I can pic out is a bit of rust (exhaust backbox mainly) and quite severe condensation/water in headlamps (cure for this?).

I'm moving to Morzine, in the French Alps in December and want the car to as reliable as I can make it before then.

What would you guys recommend checking/replacing? Are there any notorious weak spots on these vehicles, or any factory parts that would benefit from an upgrade. Some of the bits beneath the bonnet look a little corroded/rusty, which had me a little worried initially, as my Audi A4 of the same age is pretty much mint under bonnet.

I've been trawling the forum for a few weeks trying to gain some knowledge on these wagons, but any pointers greatly appreciated!

Couple of pics.. everyone loves pics!

Oh, and it's like a rocket ship!.. :)

post-3236-0-30212600-1413649700_thumb.jp

post-3236-0-79655200-1413649707_thumb.jp

• Like 2

2006? looks like pre face lift model (big fog lights and small mirrors) to me?  :huh: but my be one of the last one before the face lift came out? any way enjoy  :)

btw; not sure why you bought a right hand drive vehicle to take it with you in your move to the left hand main Continent (France)...

Definitely 2006, registered September 2006. Only in France for the year.

I thinking of getting it booked in for a full mechanical inspection. I'm not sure what else I can do to try and ensure reliability! It's always a bit of pot luck when you buy an older car with 100k+.

Looks nice and clean, I prefer the pre face lift models think the bottom of the front end looks nicer,

They like regular servicing so even if you just change the oil and filter inbetween servicing there should be no reason for it not to go on for anothr 50-100k without any problems, just warm the car up and make sure everythings up to operating temp before giving it the beans as the head gaskets were an issue on the 2.5 motors in the early models.

Have a look for subaru specalists in your area as they tend to be a lot cheaper than the dealers.

Maybe speak to Opie Oils (trader on here) regarding a different oil for the colder weather

• Like 1

Facelift came on the 05 plate, but I've seen pre facelift cars registered as late as 56 plate....guess it took them 18 months to clear the old stock, so can imagine some bargains could have been had at that time [emoji41]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good Choice.

Very nice and in the best shape and colour  too  :D

Bet that you notice a difference in the way that she drives compared with the Jimny, especially when you press the right pedal or go around corners?. 

Keep us posted as to how you go on, if you have any problems then i'm sure that someone on here will be able to help in some way.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Good Choice.

Very nice and in the best shape and colour  too  :D

Bet that you notice a difference in the way that she drives compared with the Jimny, especially when you press the right pedal or go around corners?. 

Keep us posted as to how you go on, if you have any problems then i'm sure that someone on here will be able to help in some way.

Good Luck

I was at a poker night last night, and dropped a friend home after as I wasn't drinking. It was dark when he got in the wagon, so he couldn't see what car I had bought, and just assumed it was an old wagon to get my kit out to France. We got on the main road, and gave it some beans and he shouted in amazement "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!??!!". Brilliant.

lol they are good.

best thing is just good checkover & quality oils, filters, plugs. leads, tyres as required.

Could also be worth getting an OBD2 reader & learn basics of using it as if get the warning light you will be able have look at stored codes etc yourself and perhaps fix yourself or give you useful data aiding route of repairs,

Generally they super reliable so good chance you will have trouble free run in France.

have 1 Forester in annually for servicing/MOT and it over 200K & still good, have few Legacys too around 170K+ that still run perfect.

Definitely 2006, registered September 2006. Only in France for the year.

I thinking of getting it booked in for a full mechanical inspection. I'm not sure what else I can do to try and ensure reliability! It's always a bit of pot luck when you buy an older car with 100k+.

sorry mate, i thought you migrated to France  ;)