Very poor performance in damp conditions - Noob help

Manners0485

Hi, Wondered if anybody can help me?

Please go easy on me as I am a noob to this forum. :unsure:

I bought my 2004 Impreza Gx sport the 2.0 litre Blobeye model a couple of months ago. This is the first Scooby I have owned. I have been fairly made up with the car and is great in dry conditions. 

However when road conditions are slightly damp or wet the back end of the car slides out everywhere. Even taking corners or roundabouts at 15mph makes me very nervous as you can feel it trying to kick out. (Kind of thought this was weird as I thought the car was All Wheel Drive)?? :huh:

Yesterday I had the tracking done and the wheels were majorly out of alignment, I had the two front tyres swapped with the back 2 so that I had the two Michellin tyres put on the back and two mid range tyres put on the front. All tyres have plenty of tread left on them and all wheels were balanced.

I haven't tested the car yet to see if it has resolved the issue as road conditions are dry here today but has anyone got any ideas as to what this could be ???

I have also considered lowering springs to drop it a little (not too low though as I'm trying to keep it standard looking)  has anyone got any recommendations on some fairly priced springs for my Model as I can only find some for the turbo models.

Thanks in advance

Yesterday I had the tracking done and the wheels were majorly out of alignment, I had the two front tyres swapped with the back 2 so that I had the two Michellin tyres put on the back and two mid range tyres put on the front. All tyres have plenty of tread left on them and all wheels were balanced.

I haven't tested the car yet to see if it has resolved the issue as road conditions are dry here today but has anyone got any ideas as to what this could be ???

This was probably the cause.  Should be sorted then?  Don't go back to a garage until you know the problem persists you could end up paying for something you don't need.   

To be honest Stants I'm open to any ideas as its pretty dangerous the way its been handling, I spun it on Friday trying to exit a roundabout about 10-15mph but luckily enough managed to gain control again and miss the kerbs and other traffic. Last time I checked the tyres about a week ago were around 40-45psi all round.

Also I've just remembered that when I went to ATS to have my tracking done one of the guys there mentioned that he thought the tyres weren't correct for my car somethin about the tyre wall or somethin. As it was ATS I was thinking it could have been some kind of sales pitch, can't remember what size tyres they are now but will post in here tomorrow, to see what you think. Thanks again mate

Cheers Bowthruster. The usual guy I go to was shut on weekends so had to make do with them. Yeah I've never trusted them. Was getting the runaround yday, ATS saying all 4 tyres were the wrong size and another garage saying they were all ok. Got to watch ATS do my tracking on a tv monitor though which was interesting.

Cheers Bowthruster. The usual guy I go to was shut on weekends so had to make do with them. Yeah I've never trusted them. Was getting the runaround yday, ATS saying all 4 tyres were the wrong size and another garage saying they were all ok. Got to watch ATS do my tracking on a tv monitor though which was interesting.

I wouldn't say all big places are like that, my van gets it's tyres on account through ats. Know the lads there well so when ever I need something for my car nothing's too much trouble eepends on the people I suppose

One last thing fellas, I've got 17" rims on at the minute with 245/45R tyres. When getting my tracking done the guy at ATS suggested the tyres weren't right for my car? But another garage I went to to have my wheels swapped around said they were fine? Can anyone shed any light on this? I've always thought my car sat a little bit high, (the gap between the arch and the wheel is what I mean).

post-3243-0-88177200-1413795421_thumb.jp

post-3243-0-71376000-1413795459_thumb.jp

Do you know what was the oem rim size ?

If you go up from stock you newd to decrease the sidewall hight tp take into account the increase, bigger rims would normally give a harsher ride and be more 'crashy' over lumps and bumps, having the tyres overinflated will cause the contact patch of the surface of the tyre to be smaller giving less grip and increased tyre wear

silly question, but when you say the back kicks out are you coming off the accelerator? at the time?

Scoobs suffer from liftoff Oversteer.

As has already been mentioned tyre pressure, the only other thing I can think of is Crap tyres TBH, if they are a budget make I think that's the most likely cause.

If you can go for a better make of Tyre like Falken, Goddyear, Vredstien, Toyo, Yokoham etc.