Warning about PPE when working on cars!

BlackBosh

Probably common sense to most but to the cowboys like me that chance it I spent this morning in A&E after some grit/rust/metal was flung into my eye during grinding. Extremely painful, uncomfortable and a morning of work missed could have been worse but a week of no contact lenses is like hell to me haha. Lesson learnt got myself some decent specs for this type of **** in the future. Cheers

Glad nothing serious, but potential. Three things to consider with PPE and working on cars.

1, Wear safety specs as described above not just when grinding but also when lying under your car and looking up. Just asking for something to fall in your eye otherwise.

2, wear gloves if you're going to get oily or greasy, these substances can cause dermatitis which can be progressive and horrendous in some cases. Surgeons type gloves are fine and you can buy a box of 100 for a few quid or cheaper online. Same with brake fluids etc, and diesel! Always use the free gloves when filling up a diesel.

3. Don't put oily rags in your pocket for convenience, there's a strong link between this action and cancer of the !Removed!, as the oil seeps through pocket linings. And you don't want that! Obviously this advice is for the lads but I would imagine it's not s good idea if you're a girl to do it either.

That's it, done my safety bit now, and I'm not even getting paid for it.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Obviously the last 2 don't happen the first time you do it, but doing these things repeatedly, especially if it's frequently greatly increase your risk.

And I've done all of the above too. But not since I've been doing safety professionally as I've see. The results of these sorts of things, not pretty.

Meet a guy who has contact dermatitis from working with cement and concrete and its a real eye opener. It can flare up at the slightest contact with anything with lime in it (and I don't mean lime juice before you all start). This guy couldn't touch anything when his hands flared, not even hug his kids goodnight, that's when it hits home, all he needed was waterproof gloves

!Removed! hell I used to work with it all the time and have just used my hands crazy. :( Another reason why a career change would be good for me :D I do need to get some more safety glasses acacutely I bust my last set :( 

With your job it's solder and potential for asbestos in wherever you're working. I'll stop there else you'll not sleep tonight.

Basically everything out there is trying to kill you!

If you become a programmer etc, you'll have RSI and back/neck problems before you know it, oh and you'll have dodgy eyesight too. [emoji12]

• Like 1

Yep worked in asbestos without knowing it too, Mind you I remember making dens from it when I was a kid :wacko:  I know different grades and so on of it. I also remember my old man saying they used to be covered in it years ago when they used to unload the lorries with the old Asbestos down pipes, But I guess the people that work with it all the time was most at risk like most things I guess. I remember working on SCM chemicals loads people got gassed from acid on there made them really sick used to seem them looking almost green  :o I'd take the chances with bad eyes and back :D

Don't blame you. To be honest everyone has inhaled asbestos, your biggest exposure and mine would most likely have been at school, to make schools fire safe they were virtually built out of the stuff. Ignore the different grades as being safe and dangerous it's a bit like saying it's safer to be hit by s transit doing 70 over an artic doing 70. Neither is good.

Anyway getting a bit morbid now. I just wanted to make the point that gloves and glasses should be 2nd nature when working on cars.

Looking at gloves myself, just posted about coming off my bike today cause I forgot my favourite 661s I'm just having a bad week, was a massive off as well must've slid 20ft! Was mega!!!!

My boss asked if I wanted to go round and borrow his cutting tools (I'd mentioned a job I needed to do and he has a man cave), politely declined I'll just give myself some time to get out of this routine of damaging myself [emoji6]

I just wish i got my trousers paid for [emoji20] As always it gets take a bit too far, like having to wear a hi vis and hat when changing a light bulb. Im already up a bright yellow set of ladders !

Don't get me started on risk assessments grrr

I agree that people tend to use blanket policy for things which is what makes people have a poor view of safety. Like wearing hard hats where there is no need. Risk assessments are needed to work out and record the controls needed, trouble is people go silly and start risk assessing people using stairs and scratching their backside. Risk assessments are for significant risks in an industry not paper cuts etc.

As you may have gathered I work in safety, but in construction, nuclear and Oil and Gas industries where you'd want things to be safe. We don't risk assess paper cuts as we have much bigger fish to fry, like not blowing up half of Lincolnshire.

Haha I agree completly my dad was an engineer at Devonport then went onto govt inspections of poweratations and what not but doing them for my job is just a waste of time, even jad to do one for driving my van

Need some legal standing so when asked to do a risk assessment for opening a door I can turn around and say no need boss look. That way when asked to do a risk assessment for doing a demolition it has some weight and value and thought will go into it