Spare Wheel for XV

Fkend

the spare wheel and other bits are crazy money

when I looked I got quoted £470

lucky for me I am now sorted out

I can't believe they put a tin of gunk in a car that's designed to go off road crazy..

• Like 1

Having just joined I thought I would add my first post.

I bought the spacesaver which I keep in the garage and put in the back when I go on a long journey.  If I need all the boot space, I just drop a seat down!

I decided not to buy the spacesaver boot kit as it was another £200+ and would reduce the boot size.  Works well for me.  The interesting thing is that the XV spacesaver is wider than most family saloon cars!

• Like 1

welcome topmarque :-)

I was lucky enough to find a braker's yard that had got a water damaged xv in and managed to do a deal on the wheels so I have a full spare set of which one is in the boot as spare wheel.

the problem is that if you empty all the boot out the wheel well is not designed for a full size wheel and tyre so I just put it in the boot.

you loose a lot of space that way but at least I have a spare wheel and not a tin of gunk.

after a couple of weeks it started doing my head in so I had a re-think

I thought as I don't use the boot that often, I would make a false floor, at least that way the wheel would be hid and I would have a flat floor to put things on

kind a works fine for me.

Would of been quite easy for Subaru to of made a steel spare fit in boot well.

Think it should be a legal vehicle requirement ... Tyre puncture gunk can be useful quick fix but not going help you in all scenarios.

the other problem is if you use gunk in tyre then I am led to believe you can't get it repaired

Still can be repaired but tyre shops hate the stuff as so messy & tyre fitters are not good cleaners so prefer push you a new tyre.

Hi Fkend

As the images show, you will loose boot space with the spare tyre. I feel it as I have spare boots, rucksacks and climbing gear in the car, however my feelings are the same as yours. Why have a AWD car that can go anywhere and nobody can come and help you if you get stuck. The loss of space in my opinion is vast. Further to this it will cost £400 odd for the spare.

In my opinion its worth the money to have the peace of mind.  

agreed spare wheel is a must...

at this point in time I am going to keep the full spare set, it gives me the spare I need also when my tyres are done a full new set go at

also it gives me the option if these tyres are not good in winter months I can put a full set of winter tyres on

if they are good I might split up and sell next year..

Right I now have a full sized XV wheel and tyre and here is where I found it at Nippon Auto Spares, Derby, DE24 8AG, tel. 01332 293399, email sales@nipponautospares.com. These guys are most helpful and I received the next day.

Now to see about mounting it without loosing too much interior space, will post photo when done.

Hi no I didn't, I removed everything from the boot and sat my full size wheel in

to be honest the wheel well is slightly small for a full size wheel so it does not sit completely flat but close enough

I then made some supports from tubing and placed them round the floor area

this allowed me then to sit my original floor on top of them and the put in my rubber mat

it's not the best job on the world but it gives me a flat boot again which is useable space.

when it gets a bit warmer ( spring ) I will re do it properly

I will use the tube supports but I am going to buy some mdf and cut the correct boot shape and make it look like a professional fit

• 3 months later...

I have just ordered a new XV, and opted for the spare wheel kit (factory mod to floor) so car will not be here till May. Usefully, the dealer has paid half the cost (part of the deal package I negotiated), so happy with that. Had to buy a wheel and jack, etc for the Kia, and that cost best part of £200, but did not need to modify the boot floor.

Does anyone know the law relating to spare wheels being firmly fixed in car (such as bolted to the floor), so it does not fly around in an accident? I was going to get a spare from a scrapper, but told nowhere in boot to mount it.

Not sure about the law but certainly a good idea, one thing that is also very sensible which a lot of people don't do is fasten the rear seat belts when not in use. the seat belts are much stringer than the seat hinges and heavy thing in the boot hitting the seat backs at force can cause folding seats to fold, fastening the seat belts ensures that the seats can't fold and forces any loose items to the base of the seat.

I would imagine its ok not to have it fixed, certainly I had a car once that just had it sat in a well and wasn't fixed, but don't quote me on legality. as far as I am aware the only physical things that police can check internal of the car are that the Battery is secured and that the washers are full, not seen anything about secure spare wheel.

If you're going to drive about with a loose spare wheel then I'd certainly fasten the rear seat belts (the outer ones) so that each seat back is secured in its upright position.

Yes, I am not sure on the law on this. I ordered the car, and asked about a spare, expecting it to fit in the space where the plastic storage tray is, and that was when I was told it was only available with the factory modified boot. Ends up with the floor slightly higher, but flat all over, and with a bolt to hold wheel secure. 

Factory wheel mod is no different to what guys are doing really as they do not use a modded boot deck, main difference is neater finish unless you really go to town on your home conversion

To be honest it very easy strip boot so tyre low as possible then build up floor to suiite & use original floor covering.

Also very easy fit a ring bolted to floor to secure wheel if can not find any suitable fixings for a ratchet strap.

Half price at £200 from dealer not too bad but £400 is a joke for something that should be standard, could of easily dipped the boot to fit a purpose made but full size steel spare. Not too bad in the UK but if I was in France or Oz or Canada with just a can of gunk it could be a disaster :-/

agreed simply do it your self dealer price is crazy

I just built my floor up around the spare wheel using stiff cardboard tube, works fine

as Dogconker has said fasten rear belts ( strange I have always done this on all my cars ) lol