Oil pump question

Hey guys 

Does anyone know what the two blanking plugs are at the bottom of the oil pump are? (same on all EJ engines I think) 

I was thinking that if they are a supply and return it could be a way plumbing in an aftermarket oil cooler?

Any ideas?

thanks Mike

I've always assumed that they are bungs for access for internal machine work but I've never taken a oil pump appart tbh .

I think most aftermarket subaru specific oil coolers come with a "sandwich plate" that replaces the factory oil cooler (the bit the oil filter screws to) which has feeds to the bigger front mounted oil cooler.

The Stock cooler with a mahle oil filter doesn't stick out past the headers or sump but it sounds like you're not after a stock application .

I have seen a impreza with a oil filter relocation kit (somwhere on the net).

But can't think where unfortunately .

I'm not keen on the sandwich plate design myself so fitted my oil temp sensor in the bung over cylinder number 3 but that was also because thats the hottest cylinder .

I did do some research into oil coolers and decided I wouldn't need one unless I did regular track days as my average oil running temp is 95°