first time subaru owner

Gaz1982

Hi everyone Gaz here from Cardiff south wales.

I have recently bought my first Subaru, I'll admit I have never been a huge a fan of Subarus but after buying a 1996 Legacy GTB I am a changed man and I love it.

First thing I noticed is that its proving difficult to find aftermarket parts as I would like to modify it a little, I heard a rumour that WRX parts fit. Is this true? If anyone could shed some light on this I would be very grateful.

A lot of impreza parts will fit the gtb. There's a list of them on the ukLegacy forum somewhere... I'll see if I can find you a link.

Welcome, nice to see another GTB! We all like to see some pictures if you've got some?

Hi thanks for the warm welcome. I'd like to just generally like to tidy it up as I only paid £650 for it form London on Friday.

It had the wind deflectors on it but they were broke so I took them off but I can't find them anywhere lol. A friend is selling a dump valve off an early WRX, I'd have it if I were sure it would fit.

I would just like to put a subtle kit on it and maybe tidy up the engine bay with hoses, rad, performance air filter and upgrade turbos.

I will post a pic as soon as I work out how to do it :D

Blimey! That is a bargain! Wind deflectors are a pain to get hold of. Again though, eBay can throw up all sorts of wonders.

I've got a funny feeling that fitting a VTA dump valve to legacies is not the best of ideas. Something to do with the air flow being measured post turbo, so they have 2 recirc valves as standard? Fitting a VTA will throw up all kinds of error codes.

I'm not too sure about upgrading turbos etc (I imagine you're probably more knowledgable than me on this) but I'd say spending money on a re-map to try an map out the gap between the turbos a bit and get the best from the new air filter is probably more beneficial?

Ye it has a slight oil leak I looked at it yesterday and seems it's coming form either the sump gasket or further up but its so tight up and around there I simply just don't have the time to mess around with it so to the garage it goes over the weekend.

I know one or two things about turbos I owned a 420bhp RX-7 but I'm no expert.

Re-map is a good idea I completely missed that idea (stupid me!!!). Think I'll be car part shopping tonight that link you gave me is very useful thanks.

Ill fit that dump valve just to try it as its going cheap but if it flags anything ill take it straight off.

Ah right ok ill look into that. turns out the dump valve doesn't directly fit I have to make a bracket which is simple enough. Single turbo is very costly but then it does eliminated the lag from switch over with a twin obviously but I like the idea of a twin ill just reduce the lag on a remap and fit anti lag if I can find It. Going to view a Legacy on Friday that's spares or repairs if you need anything?

They did... I can't remember the difference exactly now. I wouldn't quote me on it, but I think they're a limited edition. And I think came with a 2.2 rather than a 2.0 engine?

I've been having a nose around online... found some japanese brochures with the GTV featured http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/BDBGlegacy/BDBGlegacy.html . Does your front grille badge have the red background? That seems to be one difference I can see. And does it have the Bilstein badge on the back or like a wreath with some writing? I think the leather interior was standard and maybe some sort of wood grained interior?

I also thought:- impreza 4-pot calipers on the front are a good sensible mod too, particularly if you're going to be increasing the power!  You may need to change your wheels so they fit over them. 

Ah wicked mate that's brilliant thank you. I'm going to change the wheels anyway. The legacy got broken into last night and about £600 of audio was taken from the boot. So I'm now parts shopping on perfectrun.jp ha ha

Oh, sorry to hear that! Maybe a decent alarm will be on the parts list too?  :lol:

Must be something to do with bad luck when first getting a legacy... My old GX, I cracked the windscreen shortly after getting it to (then discover a load of rust underneath when it came to be replaced, which cost me the best part of £300 to get sorted) and my heater matrix decided to give up the ghost after a 200 mile trip home with my GTB!

I know! Still can't imagine having anything else now though. 

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php/topic/108514-how-to-program-keyless-entry-for-bgbd-and-bhbe-series/?hl=keyless

Your car is a BG, just in case you weren't sure. 

Gear linkage centering springs are usually shot on these too... worth replacing if you're stick feels a bit floppy (I'm going to be mature and not giggle at that!) 

Ha ha my stick is solid as rock there's no play in it. My clutch pedal sticks though I'm wondering maybe the slave cylinder is on its way out. I thought mine was a GTB as it's a 2.0. Just bought myself a key's gear knob to cheer myself up [emoji23]. You wanna take a look at www.perfectrun.jp there's loads on there for the EJ20H import prices ain't bad either I paid £7 shipping direct from Japan.

I remember my gx rear diff was a bit leaky... Wouldn't know much about sorting it out. I'm sure someone on here will though. Or it's a good chance to upgrade, I think WRX ones fit and would be a bit stronger?