is this a wise modification path?

ChrisD

Hey guys. 

My 2003 blob currently has the following...

TD04 turbo

255 Fuel pump

Fully de-cat Exhaust (2.5") still has a cat in the up-pipe

High flow panel filter

and I am looking at getting ...

Second hand VF35 

Second hand Pink injectors

Second hand De-cat Upipe.

1. is it okay to get these parts second hand? 

2. is this a wise upgrade path to get to a fun level of power without having to compromise reliability? 

Please help me :) thank you ! 

Pretty typical up grade path, as long as you find decent second hand parts you'll be fine.

brakes would be a good upgrade before though, on a wrx they aint great

• Like 1

Or you can get much much more fun if you put money on handling.

I had some test run with different Impreza`s so I can tell you the handling part really does make a difference ;)

Upgrade the followings: ( yes I know this doesn`t sound as cool when you tell this the other guys as your engine is still stock but if you give them a ride with the below stuff installed they will think twice before they upgrade something in their cars :D )

Bushes to poly

Engine mount/Transmission mount ( you can get this as a kit )

Strut braces

Anti roll bars ( front, rear )

Coilovers

Quick steering rack ( just for fanatics :angry: )

And you get a totally new car from the fun point of view and a top of that you can put a more powerful car to shame.

If you get 50 or 80 BHP more you will enjoy that for less than 2 weeks and you are done ;) ( after that you probably will get used to it )

• Like 1

It has quite a few of the handling mods, plus the most important, good tires :) 

will do the rest at some point :)

love the handling mods, its what really turns my passengers from "Subaru's arnt that quick" to "Stop the car! JESUS, you're not gonna make it !!! AAHHHH"...

• Like 1

It has quite a few of the handling mods, plus the most important, good tires :)

will do the rest at some point :)

love the handling mods, its what really turns my passengers from "Subaru's arnt that quick" to "Stop the car! JESUS, you're not gonna make it !!! AAHHHH"...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh :D

• Like 2

Must admit I was looking to up my power to around 400 ( currently have 355) but think pound for pound I'll get more out of suspension upgrades such as mentioned above. If I can save enough on my next trip away for work I'll go for the tein coilovers possibly with the active pro edfc.

that's a normal list of upgrade parts and that's what I have had fitted to mine. I've been running 330bhp for 5 years and I haven't got bored with it. yes I'm used to it, but I don't think it needs to be any faster in a straight line.

the std brakes are poor, I've got uprated discs and pads and new fluid, I've got some braided lines, but not got round to fitting them yet

I agree with the handling upgrades, but it depends if you like going round corners really fast. since my accident I don't like going round corners fast :(

Thanks guys, what would I expect to pay for second hand pinks and vf34, found a guy wanting 120 for pinks and 380 for turbo. Also what would I expect to pay to have them fitted?

its the gearbox thats the weak element, budget for a clutch as well,

:

320mm Discs front and back minimum

EBC greent stuff pads.

Airfilter (Cone filter are best)

Maffless remap

Alcatek ecu or Simtek ( best overall ability to map the engine, Launch Control, Anti Lag, Maffless) some if not all can be added to ECUtek which is cheaper, however a standalone gives the option for mutiple maps, for meth, low boost, ETC

Vf34 or VF30 ( make sure there is no play in the turbine, side to side and in and out,slight movement is normal as oil takes up some slack)

Injectors, make sure rubbers arnt clean, if there cheap, they are so for a reason, get them ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt will last ages and give best performance.

Spark plugs, fresh set of Iridiums

Exedy Pink Clutch

alloys front and rear Drop links, Or anti lift kit depending who you ask

Coilovers , get these properly set up, height, toe in, and camber ( mines set up for fast road so has slight camber)

DV ( vent to atmosphere, sounds good and gives swifter gear changes)

STI Top mount Intercooler, good for 400bhp

Metal Y pipes for top mount

3" Full decatted stainless exhaust

Stainless Uppipe

280 Uprated fuel pump.

With all the above and depending on your engine you should easily get over 350

• Like 1

VF35 and VF34 are both based on a vf30. VF35 has a smaller exhaust side improving spool but slightly dropping peak, VF34 hs a roller bearing core but retains same exhaust.

35 and 34 have pretty much same spool but vf34 tends to have 10bhp ish more peak, cos of its better peak tends to hold its value better second hand as well as being bigger cost from new

• Like 2

Go for quicker spool, got to think will you be runing into 5-6k rev range on the road regularly or would you want it to get there faster without the need to be smashing it everwhere ?

• Like 1

Seeing Dave's lovely car yesterday as persuaded me to upgrade :3!

well that and being overtaken by a A45 AMG Merc ¬¬ if i had that turbo it would'nt have happened haha!

Booked to be in, in 2 weeks from today :D 

• Like 1