Clunk/rattling noise coming from the back end

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. Since I have had my 2004 blobeye (only a couple of months) it has always had a bit of a clunk/rattle from the back end. It is more noticeable on the passenger side but I think there is a noise on the other side as well, just nowhere near as loud.

Originally I thought it was something to do with the boot maybe as it has an STI spoiler but I suspect only the stock WRX torsion rods (boot springs whatever you want to call them). So I took the boot, hinges and rods off this weekend and took it for a drive but it was still making the noise.

I have been reading up on this problem and it seems to be fairly common on stock suspension whereby the suspensions rattles as it does not have enough grease in them but this has KW coilovers (I think V3's) on them which LED me to think that maybe the top mount has gone.

I took the top mount cover off, as I already had the rear interior out to remove the boot, and they seemed OK from a visual inspection on top but are there any tests I can try to find out if it is definitely the top mounts or has anyone else had any similar issues whilst using coilovers?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Rear shock rattle happens on all of the blobs/bugs and hawks eventualy, options are replace with standard shocks, and they will fail again, or replace as a whole set.

pedders do a full kit of shocks, lowering springs and top mounts that come fully assembled ready to fit. Personaly i'd go that route for a proper fix that isn't silly money, wont get much change form £1000 fitted inc vat though but thats ball park figure

P.S.  PEDDERS SUSPENSION DOES NOT FIT WAGONS, spring rates are wrong. pedders have been getting some totaly unfair  flak from people being supplied them without the suppliers understanding the fitment properly. It says it very clearly on their website.

Would that still be the case even after all the standard shocks have been swapped out for KW coilovers?

It does appear to be a common fault with the standard shocks eventually failing but I can't say I have seen many/if any posts regarding this happening once everything has been replaced with coilovers.

Ah if its not on standard shocks then prob not, sorry missed that bit. could be the top mount or possibly a bushing issue, need to get it looked at to see where the noise is comming from

I have managed to have a bit of a better look at the drop links and ARB bushes and they both appear to be fine. They don't appear to have any excessive play and also don't appear to be perished at all.

Apart from the top mount I can't really think what else it could really be, somebody else had suggested to me that it may be the ARB hitting the back box but that appears to have plenty of clearance as well.

Have a drive about with someone in the back to see if they can pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

As top mounts are at ear level and I'd have thought that you'd hear them high up in the back .

Have you completely emptied the boot as it could be something as simple jack/tool bag or space saver spare wheel

Droplinks and trailing arm bushes are another likely culprit if the coilovers are in good nick , kw's are a good make but obviously can fail as well as the standard shocks

Yeah the jack and toolkit have both been removed and I took out the boot liner, wooden panel and spare wheel all to no avail.

I am fairly certain that the noise is coming from high up on the suspension as it sounds like its coming from the top when I am driving about but I will take it for a drive later with somebody in the back to be 100% sure.