2008 wrx

coll

Hi , recently bought my first subaru and am loving the car so far . Had a frp before so feels like a smoother less rigid drive think I am hooked ;)

The car has no mods whatsoever which I am fine with as I ain't no boyracer " but would really like it to sound sporty and was wondering if I should just get a back part or a full system . There is 2 available at cobra exhaust one load one not but don't wanna spend 400 bucks without hearing it first and there utube vid of the load one sucks. Also with a new full exhaust would it need remapping " as i say it's fast enough for me as it is :)

One final thing reading a few bits about the 2.5 litre being unreliable is this true ? The car has 50 k miles and I will do about 8k a year . Oh and one last thing can I get away with normal unleaded and premium every 4 pitstops or premium every fill ?

Any other advise welcome "

Ghetto & welcome, one of the hatch owners will be along at some point with better advice but here's mine, only run it on vpower ! They suffer form det issues if you stick normal fuel in,

I have a cobra with sports cat and resonated 2nd section so I'll get a vid for you if you like,

The early cars suffered from Ringland failure a remap will sort this, iirc the dealership originally should have addressed this as was part of a recall, i'd check paperwork, if not may as well get a map and exhaust [emoji16] maybe not solely for power but the torque & mpg gains it offers.

Anyway that's me I'm sure Jay aucky Alex or the others will give some more advice

Welcome.

afraid mapping wont solve the ringland and headgasket issue, they fail in standard form and moded alike. Just pot luck wehter they survive or not tbh. wouldn't worry about it unless you need to.

Hi

Thanks for the replies " really appreciate it :)

Ok will stick with the premium fuel for sure and

A vid of the exhaust would be great .

So the 2.5 could maybe have issues further down the line , that's a bummer :( although on the plus side people do call me "miss daisy" so that should help !

The cobra place near me never mentioned the sports cat or remapping afterwards ' just don't want it too loud, my frp had a milltek system and loved the popping :)

Nah they don't do maps, you'd have to visit the clinic or somewhere similar, GR performance is round the corner from you,

Depends what you ask for from cobra, they do full turbo back or cat backs to just sections if you want,

There's local ish meet down at sheffiled subaru services on the 2nd Monday of every month if you fancy popping along

Yes they are down at Mexborough .. so on my doorstep " nice . Never tried these guys before would you recommend? It's odd really I have read loads of reviews of the 2008 wrx and not seen one where they say the 2.5 litre engine had any problems so hopefully it's only a few isolated cases . The meet up sounds good too ' again only a few miles away . What really pleased me recently was getting 35 mpg on a trip to London and back " can't beat that for a high performance motor !!

I had my car mapped at GR can't fault them, nick on here had carberry ecu software done by them too. Bit of a mission to get them on the phone may be worth popping by.

Have a look in the Yorkshire & Humber section for pics of past meets and what not,

That's it if you don't mash the pedal into the carpet at every opportunity they can be driven sensibly and return 'normal' mpg

Hi mate

welcome to the club

nice to see another local :)

with the 2.5 failure debate. The WRX and STI have different engines. The WRX has a small % of failures, the STI failure is a lot more common.

only use 99 ron fuel, there are a few tescos around here and it's only 5p more than normal petrol. that's only £2.50 extra per tank for piece of mind. If you shop at tesco, you can get up to 20p a litre off too.

pop along to the meet, it's usually a good turn out, last month wasn't as busy as normal and there was still 12/15 cars there

Hi

Thanks for that boozydave was thinking should I have got the sti instead but tbh the wrx is a cool car and I read a lot more positive than bad . You think the subaru are common till u have one then you don't see many about at all lol " I will look out for you mate :) and stants I would really appreciate that too .

Hi coll welcome to the club.I have a 2007 wrx hatch, my personal opinion is if you dont drive hard then you made the right choice goin for a wrx rather then a sti, yeah you get a couple more toys and leather n alcatara seats in sti but basicly their same seats as in wrx, more bhp in sti but you dont drive fast so dont need that.you get 36mpg am jelouse mine stops at about 25.5, had it down at 18 yesterday.petrol I allways use Shell v power rather pay bit more then damage car with cheap crap.I wouldnt worry 2 much about head gasket going if you dont drive hard, has car got good service history, carnt really help on the exhaust as am looking for a nice not 2 loud 1 myself, so if you get 1 then let me no and vidio for sound, if you see me give me a wave am usually round cortonwood, mexbrough way.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

330 :) nice indeed . One a side note while I wait for the vid "taps foot" ;) I have been rechecking service history and the books stamped at all the correct intervals but I can't see any paperwork for a cambelt change which is 40k on turbo I believe ? Worries me a little cos would think it would have been done but don't wanna pay out that sort of money if it has been done and receipt missing !

If it was going to go pop it would have done it by now.. run on Vpower or Momentum is the best option

If you do alter anything like a zort, get it re mapped just to be on the safe side... go to ScoobyClinic and have it properly done.

Non of this on road mapping and piggyback map copies or what ever they call them lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, if it's any help I have recently put a cobra exhaust on my 59 plate wrx-s. Like you I just wanted a bit more noise but not silly, so went for the cat back resonated.

I really love it, it now sounds like a scooby, but not a boy racer one ! If you have the window down you can enjoy it, but with them up you get very little noise difference than before. In my opinion an ideal compromise.

• 5 weeks later...