Outback 4th Gen 2.0 diesel motorway manners

ShakeyJake

Hello all,

I'm driving round in my Land Rover Defender. It's been a good friend through the years but unfortunately I fancy something new and there's the need for a car that does better at high speeds. I've always loved the Subarus and really fancy the outback. I've been to look at a few and they drive great but why one thing you can't really get the feel of on a 20 min test drive it's their cruising potential. How is the 2l boxer diesel at a long cruise? Say a few hours at 80 or 90? Are they noisy? Is the engine stressed or relaxed?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Hi jake. I drove my 2.5 petrol gen 4 all the way back from Inverness to south wales, and thought I'd gone deaf it was so quiet! I drove a few diesel versions and they were a bit noisier but not by much. Coming from a defender I bet anything would seem quiet!

• 11 months later...

Thanks 4eyes. I've been out of the car market for a while due to a change in circumstances but I'm back now! I'd be keen to hear from anyone else who has the 4th generation diesel.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI

I have a 2011 Diesel Outback and no problems with noise. Was all around Scotland over the summer and it was ok. At one stage I even managed to get fuel consumption of 52MPG. and that was around 70 on motorways

• 1 year later...

Got a 64 plate cvt diesel and it starts to get noisey at 95, by noisey I mean you can hear it working in the background with the radio volume level set to 13 and holding a standard volume conversation (read as it's quiet.)

Drove form London to Inverness on half a tank at 70 stopping every couple of hours to kick the dog out for a ****.