Newer Generation Subaru's. What would you Buy? Or Older Model ?

Moss

OK,   I have a question about the New Generation of SUBARU's   ..   I have always liked the look of the old model Subaru's   The older Outbacks and Forrester's  the Late 1990's to 2003.   Cars that were built to last; some with extremely high mileage on them; do you think the newer models will last as long and give the same service and reliability as the older models?  if you were in the market for a change of vehicle (New or Used) what would you look for and why?

I've noticed the the choice of engines in the Subaru's  has altered a little 2Litre and 2.5,Liter, petrol.  or Diesel 2,litre and 3,litre engines.   What size engine would you opt for in your next Subaru Outback or Forrester?   would it be petrol or diesel?  Why?

Do you think the 2-liter petrol and 2,litre diesel engines are as good as the 2.5,litre petrol engine?

I'm really smitten with my newly acquired Subaru Outback AWD,  It's a 2002 model that belonged to my Brother (who passed away recently) he bought the car when it was just over a year old; and it's done 57000, miles.   I like it so much that I've decided to keep it.

I had considered a newer version of the Outback or Forrester?  But there seems to be a lot more character with the older models.

I've read and followed a few discussions about this subject; What are your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I was always a RWD person. Got "into" the 360GLT Volvos.  A very good quite basic 2.0 four manual. Had a few over a number of years then Volvo went to FWD.  I went on to Mrecedes because they were RWD. Had a few of them, all autos. Then went into caravanning: yeh I know!!  but only for use in France. Needed to get a 4wd to cope with the caravan on sloping grass pitches where I had seen 2wd struggling to get in or out, but MB only had that massive M thing. I know MB made a 4wd E class but only in lhd.  Not for me.  So looked hard and long at all the 4wd options. Test drove quite a few including Skoda Yet, Superbs etc. Then I test drove a Subaru Forester.  Mmmm. Like it, but not as much room as the MB estate.  Test drove the Outback.  Mmmmm.  Like it.  Lots of room in this one. Equally as much as the MB estate.   It was a dealer sale with my trade in and a two year warranty.  A 2006 2.5 S Outback Petrol Automatic 2 owner FSH 74k. No sun roof (Good) No turbo (Good) 2.5 power (Good, no substitute for grunt) and of course the all important 4WD. (Good) That was two years ago.  Got no thoughts of changing it for a newer model.  After 2009 they got the electric hand brake.  Not for me.  The rear side windows got squashed.  Not for me. A choice of petrol or diesel.  Give me petrol any day. Quieter, cheaper to service, less polution. If I had to change my Outback I would look for one very similar to this one. Sohc, no sun roof, good automatic, easy to service, comfortable.  Great.

I can't comment on previous models because I have never owned one, but in September I took delivery of a new Outback 2.5i SE Premium and apart from a few very minor niggles I can't fault it.  The minor things are that the clock and outside temperature displays are small and not conveniently placed to see easily when driving, and the radio isn't DAB digital.  Apart from that the car is perfect for me and is much better than the Volvo V70 I owned previously.  It is surprisingly quiet and refined, and reasonably economical.  I went for the petrol model because firstly I just can't stand diesels  and it wouldn't make sense for me anyway because I don't do a very high mileage.

I can't comment on previous models because I have never owned one, but in September I took delivery of a new Outback 2.5i SE Premium and apart from a few very minor niggles I can't fault it.  The minor things are that the clock and outside temperature displays are small and not conveniently placed to see easily when driving, and the radio isn't DAB digital.  Apart from that the car is perfect for me and is much better than the Volvo V70 I owned previously.  It is surprisingly quiet and refined, and reasonably economical.  I went for the petrol model because firstly I just can't stand diesels  and it wouldn't make sense for me anyway because I don't do a very high mileage.

Dalesman,

We must kindred spirits; we think along the same lines.  I also prefer petrol engined vehicles, even though the running cost is a little more expensive.  I've been looking at the new 20L, outback  - although I have decided to run my 2002 2.5, outback for some time yet, after all it's only done 57,000 miles.    Would appreciate it if you posted a photo of your new Sabaru Outback.

Dalesman,

We must kindred spirits; we think along the same lines.  I also prefer petrol engined vehicles, even though the running cost is a little more expensive.  I've been looking at the new 20L, outback  - although I have decided to run my 2002 2.5, outback for some time yet, after all it's only done 57,000 miles.    Would appreciate it if you posted a photo of your new Sabaru Outback.

I don't have any photos yet.  I'll take one and try to post on here as soon as the weather improves - which could be some time!

Martyc.

2003 model is I believe same shape as the 2006 up to 2008.  2009 came the change with the pointy rear side glass and the "leccy" handbrake.  If did not have a reasonable priced "trade in" at the dealers I would probably have bought an earlier model from a private sale. As it stands I have no thoughts to change my Outback.   It does everything I want it to do and more.

Martyc.

2003 model is I believe same shape as the 2006 up to 2008.  2009 came the change with the pointy rear side glass and the "leccy" handbrake.  If did not have a reasonable priced "trade in" at the dealers I would probably have bought an earlier model from a private sale. As it stands I have no thoughts to change my Outback.   It does everything I want it to do and more.

How about posting a photo of your Outback?

• 3 weeks later...

As a new owner of an Outback I like the shape I have. Its 2011 model. I have driven the latest model and don't see much difference between the two. Prefer Diesel as I do lots of miles. But I did have a 2005 Impreza sport and loved the look of it. Did not understand why they had to change the shape and style to a hatchback. To be honest I still think that all Outback's look the part no matter what. And still put a big smile on your face when you drive them. :biggrin:

I've had several around the 2000 era and whilst I loved them all I had common issues with heads leaking and auto box starting to slip , neither of which aren't cheap. I've now got a 55reg outback and absolutely love it especially the manual 

far more economical than the 2000 autos too

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2015 at 0:57 PM, Moss said:

Dalesman,

Finally managed to take a few photos.  Sorry for the delay.

2016_0314Subaru%20OutbackP1030281%20-%20

2016_0314Subaru%20OutbackP1030283%20-%20

• Like 2

That's a very nice colour; there is definitely some class about the Outback.    I'll bet that's a lovely vehicle to drive (Beautiful) 

Your a lucky guy Dalesman.   

Thanks all.  Yes Moss, it certainly is a lovely car to drive.  It's surprisingly quiet and has plenty of power.   I used to think that no car would be better than my old Volvo V70, but I was wrong.

I've just traded my 2010 diesel outback for a 2.5 SE Premium - I figured I'd have to do 60,000 miles to break even on the diesel (ignoring the S/H values down the line - and who knows what will happen when there's talk of diesel banning in all sorts of places) and I just don't do the miles now I'm retired.  Plus there's all the worry about keeping the DPF clean with mostly short journeys as I do now. Only done about 600 miles but very pleased with it so far apart from the ludicrous decision by Subaru to supply it with 18" wheels and summer tyres.

Actually thinking more about this maybe it's not a dumb decision - in that it more or less forces you to buy proper winter tyres rather than "take a chance" with the Geolander M+S types fitted to the 17" models.

Now my next question - does the SE Premium have TPMS or not?  Some dealer websites say it does but the official Subaru site makes no mention of it in the specs list.  My dealer confessed that he didn't know.  All I know is that I have the button in the glovebox and the warning light on the dash, but do I have the sensors in the wheels?  Anybody know?

• 8 months later...

I've had the later 2001 Impreza and I prefer the old classic. Although it suffered from more understeer, it was more organic when driving. Great fun in the snow. I did increase the boost and I had engine problems. The mechanic replaced the crank bearings with ACL and the engine is as solid as ever.