2004 wrx subframe removal

Boz

Hey guys, new to forum and looking for advice. 

Had my 2004 blobeye  wrx  for 10 months now and is currently in garage having new engine put in. (Another topic entirely lol ) 

have found that my u frame / sub frame is totally rotten, is it worth replacing with another which will rot in a few years or just remove completely as I have seen a lot of people just take it off. 

If removing is the way forward do any modifications need to be made or is it just a matter of losing the undertray and u frame and everything else sits fine without it? 

Thanks in advance for your input 

Hello mate, I had a 2003 blob wrx wagon and mine was really scabby too, I read up on it a lot and found lots of conflicting views saying it makes no difference to the drive, it makes it worse, it makes it better, so I took mine off and drove around for a couple of days without it and I didn't like it at all, in my personal opinion ( as others have stated that theirs felt better) it made the front feel a bit vague and very mildly floppy and lost a bit of road holding if that makes any sense, now it may just be the fact that I knew it was off and it played on my mind, but I don't think that was it, it's quite a big chunk of metal to lose and maybe beneficial in the case of an accident (God forbid) but I for one would rather it be there and I'm also a stickler for the plastic undertray to keep all the crap off my engine, upshot was I went straight down my local scrapyard and got another c frame and sprayed it internally and externally with wax oil, I think you can also buy aluminium tube crisscross type braces to replace it, give it a razz around with it off and see what you think maybe

Suppose it does play on your mind and your looking for differences when driving.

Is it just a matter of taking it off then cos it looks like the anti roll bar and radiator are connected?!

Was trying to find uprated versions but couldn't find any in the uk. Plenty of aftermarket available in US but not so here.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Yes mate just unbolts, the rad and fans are bracketed onto the very front integral chassis crossmember, the anti roll bar should be bolted to the big black removable crossmember that holds the engine and that houses the steering rack and has the bottom control arms bolted to it, that's the sort of thing (pink thing) I was on about, but if you look long and hard there are all manor of extra bits/bigger ones if I remember 

Will maybe leave it off temporarily after engine install then see what it feels like. Just can't be dealing with garage moaning in my ear that it's supposed to be there and they shouldn't not fit it back up again lol

• 2 weeks later...

Haha I've scratched bottom lip on bumper so maybe I can get a new one at same time on them :p haha

Rather them hit pot holes and do minor damage than screw an engine up tbh. I worked at Renault in my younger days and drove someone's Clio 192 into the ramp scuffed the ally (I was 17) he wasn't to impressed and my boss gave me a Royal bollocking for costing the garage £500 for new wheel and tyre :/

**** happens lol