Brake Pad Choice - Help

I need to replace my brake pads as they are getting near end of life ;-)

I'm also planning on doing a couple of track days this year and have a performance driving course booked for middle of May. What I'd like to do is get some pads which are good enough for everyday fast road and also the odd track day. I'm also a little heavy on brakes from past couple of track days I've done, so a little unsure what might be best.

I've narrowed down to 3 possible options, Ferodo DS2500, Performance Friction Z pads or EBC Bluestuff NDX (not the regular blue stuff compound).

Car is a 2014 (new shape) STi with standard tune/Brembo brake setup.

On a side note any other potential upgrades to consider, specifically on the safety/reliability side. No interest in performance at the moment until my driving skills match the cars :-)

Thanks all

Darren.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Geoff, I had the DS2500 in my S2000 as daily pads and never had a problem with them, just not 100% sure they are right for the STi with the increased weight and other differences.

BTW I would be changing pads all round to the new compound.

Yeah looking forward to hearing people's comments. I was quite impressed by the reviews/feedback on other forums for the EBC Bluestuff NDX, so they are top at the moment with PF Z second and Ferodo 3rd just down to the noise problems a lot of people report, and initial cold braking.

I have run black diamond in the past and been pleased with the results - currently running Brembo discs which are good for the road use but I don't know as they would be great on the track - that may well be down to original rubber hoses in place and not due to the pads themselves

• 2 weeks later...

So fitted the EBC Bluestuff NDX and no problems at all, fit really well. Just going through the slow bed in and then get some heat cycles through them. Got a performance driving day at Millbrook in May, so need them perfect for then. Brake fluid change next in April for some Motul 600.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

So small update... Blue Stuff have worked really well under normal day to day conditions, and no issues from cold..... But.... Under hard braking (on the road) they do make quite a bit of noise and hasn't really got better the more I tried to bed them in further. The brake performance isn't affected but he noise is a pain. I'm going to email my contact EBC technical and see what he suggests.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update after a few 'summer tyre' hard braking sessions and lots of smelly brakes, they seemed to have improved a lot. Gonna do another bedding session beginning of May and some spirited runs to check them again, but looking better. I guess the info I found on long hard bedding in is looking correct.

Clinic got a pro drover to test the new one and biggest issue he fed back was brakes. He littleraly fried them in two laps. Change out the front set up for a decent 6 pot caliper setup (stay clear of ksport) and you'll find a big difference. Rear ones can stay as is, most of the braking on a subaru is front end

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. Just completed a day's performance car driver training at Millbrook and EBC Bluestuff NDX didn't perform too bad. A few observations from myself and the instructor though. Even after the many bed in sessions, the pads did seem to heat up very quickly, but I didn't get any brake fade. The compound does seem to be very 'grabby' and not as progressive as you might want. I have the same pad on front and back, and I managed to get the rears to lock up quite consistently, and had it step out a couple times on some straight line avoidance techniques. No big issue, but not what I expected, seemed to have affected the brake bias. I'll most likely keep them on for the time being but won't be using them again in future.

• 5 months later...

I used DS2500's on my 172 Clio with Brembo high carbon front discs. They were excellent and never had any issues with noise or fade either fast road use or track days.

I'm about to go the same route on my 2014 WRX STi but fitting Brembo drilled speedline front discs to replace the OE ones which are badly pitted on the face. Just waiting for Demon Tweeks to supply and fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I see from another thread you already bought the DS2500, and I'd be really interested to know how they go on the heavier STi. I used them for a good while on my S2000 and was very happy but got recommended they weren't up to scratch on the heavier WRX STi. In the end I bought two lots, one set of EBC Bluestuff NDX and PFC Z rated pads. The EBC are at best OK for normal use but crap on the track/fast road. I'm just about to fit some new discs and PFC Z's so I'll see what they are like. Be good to know what the DS2500's are like as a third option.

I've had some pfc carbon metallic pads in my brembos for about 1k mls now . They well out perform the previous red stuff pads for cold bite and fast road use .

I got the front pads and a full set of Goodrich phantom braided lines for about £175 delivered from Alyn @Asperformance [emoji6]

• Like 1

I've had some pfc carbon metallic pads in my brembos for about 1k mls now . They well out perform the previous red stuff pads for cold bite and fast road use .

I got the front pads and a full set of Goodrich phantom braided lines for about £175 delivered from Alyn @Asperformance [emoji6]

Can't beat AS Performance, very knowledgable guys.

• Like 1