What Grade Oil

Mr Dulux WRX

either or mate, if it's a stock engine then either will be fine, fully is better and if you have mods or want the best then i would suggest using millers oil, Opie Oils is on here, i think they do a discount for S.O.C. members

there is always a debate about this on every Subaru forum.  most use 10/60 miller full but in cold this has been said to be to thick. Silkolene Pro R 15w50(now called Fuchs Titan) is red and sound interesting but a bit thin good for summer they say. I hav always put 10/40 myself and changed regular. but don't hav massive power output. so all said do what ever you thick and don't blame us if you don't like it. ;)  :D

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Yes, it does. Here is something from Fuchs/Silkolene from a few years ago (although the information is relevant).

A while ago now, we ran three Silkolene performance oils in a Honda Blackbird motorcycle. this fearsome device is fitted with a light, compact, naturally aspirated 1100cc engine which turns out 120+ bhp at the back wheel. The normal fill for this one-year-old engine was 15w-50, so the first reading was taken using a fresh sump-fill of this grade. (The dyno was set up for EEC horsepower, i.e. Pessimistic)

15w-50
Max Power 127.9 bhp @ 9750 rpm
Torque     75.8 ft-lbs @ 7300 rpm

After a flush-out and fill up with 5w-40 the readings were;

5w-40
Max Power 131.6 bhp @ 9750 rpm
Torque 77.7 ft-lbs @ 7400 rpm

Then we tried an experimental grade, 0w-20 yes, 0w-20! This wasn’t as risky as you may think, because this grade had already done a season’s racing with the Kawasaki World Superbike Team, giving them some useful extra power with no reliability problems. (But it must be said, they were only interested in 200 frantic miles before the engines went back to Japan)

0w-20
Max Power 134.4 bhp @ 9750 rpm
Torque 78.9 ft-lbs @ 7400 rpm

In other words, 3.7 bhp / 2.9% increase from 15w-50 to 5w-40, a 2.8 bhp / 2.1% increase from 5w-40 to 0w-20 or a 6.5 bhp / 5% overall. Not bad, just for changing the oil! More to the point, a keen bike owner would have paid at least £1000 to see less improvement than this using the conventional approach of exhaust/intake mods, ignition re-mapping etc.

Am I recommending that you use 0w-20 in your Subaru’s? Well, perhaps not! The 5w-40, which is a “proper” PAO/Ester shear-stable synthetic, will look after a powerful engine better than a heavier viscosity “cave at the back” conventional oil, and provide a useful extra few BHP. 

Cheers

Tim
  • Like 1

it can do but you are looking at only a small amount - and it becomes a trade off between how much wear internally you are willing to accept against the maximum amount of performance the engine can generate - if you are not racing I would not worry about it

I think on the Blobeye I use 5-30 but the bugeye I use another grade without going out to check I can't remember off the top of my head. Opie-Oils is shut now for christmas so be after Christmas before Tim will be able to reply. And It's his Birthday today so I'm guessing he will be building up to speaking to god on the big old white porcelain telephone :D