Worth saving ?

MikeDB

I've got a 2002 Impreza 2.0 GX which has been a good runner with 78000 miles and is generally in very good shape.   But it's just failed the MOT for severe rust on the offside rear inner wheel arch.  Apparently water has been working its way down from the filler cap and rusting away from the inside so it really needs a complete new inner wheel arch which I can't seem to identify a source of even.

Repair thus involves removing exhaust so that the fuel tank can be dropped, the cutting out the inner wheel arch back to good metal (i.e. remove most of it) and fabricate a new arch almost from scratch. 

Has anybody had similar work performed and what was the cost ? 

I need to decide whether to repair it or scrap it for parts.  I assume the main value as parts is the engine and transmission.  Any idea what value those have nowadays ?

Depends on cost, if it's got no other faults then it may be worth keeping if you still have a need for it. You could spend 1k+ buying something to replace it only to find out it's a right nail

Sent from the moon using telepathy

Rest of the car is good.  New clutch and suspension with no rush on the other three corners.  If it had been the left hand side it would have been an easier fix but the right hand side involves removing the fuel tanks which involves dropping other bits so adds considerably to the cost

depends on what your planning to do with the car, cant imagine you'll get much change from a grand for that amount of work so not worth doing if you plan to sell. If you plan to keep it and mechanicly its spot on prob worth it, you could easily pay 2k for the same model and end up with a decent body but mechanical dog.

Breaking it for parts is only a limited market, cos its none turbo engine wont be worth more then a couple of hundred and rest has limited value, may get a better offer as a whole breaker