Over heating?

charswrx

Hello, was wandering if anyone could shed some light. 

I have a 2004 impreza wrx and in the past few days it has started to over heat when sat still. I've owned the car 2 years and this is the first time it's done it. However, I can get the temp gauge to drop by turning off all exterior lights and any heating? Seems odd. I've looked under the bonnet and can't seem to see a coolant redo lit I think the prev owner may have removed it, could this now be causing problems? 

Sorry if this is a silly question 

Same problem here. Stood in traffic today and temp gauge showed a warning. However, once got going warning disappeared so (in my naivety) I put it down to the weather being so warm and no cool air getting into the engine.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

There's 2 temperature sensors on the water crossover pipe, behind the alternator/p.s pump .

One is for the ecu temperature and the other is for the fan , I don't know which is which but if you look at a pic on icp website for it you'll soon know (as they're visually different)

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Ok. My problem is the oil temp and pressure. I keep getting both showing a warning. The fans are working with air conditioning on. Any reason why I would be getting the warnings. Oil checked and fine.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Checked my fans and all ok there. After checking the sender unit, there was some weeping from the connection so stripped out and reseated it. Fingers crossed seems to have sorted the problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a recent issue with high oil temp and low pressure warnings on my gauges.

Problem occurs when at idle. Once driving again the warnings disappear. Fans are all ok. Stripped out the sender unit this weekend and refitted but there appears to be a leak from the silver Colette that fits around the braided pipe. Could this be the issue? Also Been reading some scary stories about the oil pickup pipe in the sump cracking which could also be the problem. Don't really want to run the car till I've got to the bottom of it for fear of doing some serious damage

Bit of an update. I have always been told that because of the way the Battery charges, it's always best to have the lights on when starting the car, so that's what I do. Invariably I just leave them on then. However, today I decided to turn them off and noticed something a little confusing on the gauges. With the lights off the temperature reading dropped 5/6 bar and the oil pressure went up 5/6 bar. For the rest of the time I drove it, not a warning light in sight and the readings appeared a lot more in line with what I would expect.

So my question now is, why would having the lights on affect the gauge readings. Presumably something to do with the electrics?

On 20 May 2016 at 5:36 PM, Phila67 said:

Bit of an update. I have always been told that because of the way the battery charges, it's always best to have the lights on when starting the car, so that's what I do. Invariably I just leave them on then. However, today I decided to turn them off and noticed something a little confusing on the gauges. With the lights off the temperature reading dropped 5/6 bar and the oil pressure went up 5/6 bar. For the rest of the time I drove it, not a warning light in sight and the readings appeared a lot more in line with what I would expect.

So my question now is, why would having the lights on affect the gauge readings. Presumably something to do with the electrics?

I seem to have the same problem, tested the car and the fans seem to kick in when they should so there's no problem there. However when I'm sat at idle with my lights on my temp gauge slowly creeps up yet when I turn the lights off it drops back down to normal? Seems very strange to me. Hoping someone could shed some light on it! 

• Like 1