Hi

Joeroo28

Hi guys I'm not overclued on engines what's the difference between a map sensor and a maf sensor? Do I need an upgraded map sensor before I get a re map? 

Thanks 😆

MAF stands for mass air flow (or similar) MAP stands for manifold absolute pressure. They're 2 different ways engine management units use to gauge airflow for fuelling purposes (I.e more air, more fuel). Previously maf's tended to reach their efficiency/accuracy limits a lot quicker than map sensors (hence why maf-less is popular for very high performance tuning).

If you could tell us more about your vehicle and state of tune etc we'll be able to advise further [emoji2]

Sent from the moon using telepathy

Wotcha and welcome - As above plus running without a MAF means the engine is hard to map at lower revs and off boost meaning it can run rich obviously impacting fuel economy.

If you are looking for a daily driver don't rush to remove the MAF as you are not going to be on boost all the time.

If you are looking at running a significant amount of pressure above standard you will need to change the MAP to one appropriate to the expected target boost pressure 

As above and I'll add that the maf measures the air coming through the air filter towards the turbo . Whereas the map sensor measures the pressure in the inlet manifold (after the turbo) .

It does depend on what year your car is as to whether you need to upgrade your map sensor .

The early v1 (92 ) to v2 (early 96) map sensor hits it's max at 1.2 bar, so they're normally upgraded for a v3 (late 96 onwards ) map sensor which max out at 1.7 bar .

So basically if it's a v1 /v2 then yes get a later classic map sensor and get the mapper to fit it on the day , as they're not plug n play and need to be calibrated.

If it's a v3 onwards the stock map sensor will be fine but I'd consider getting a 3 port boost solinoid (if your's hasn't got one) as they help the mapper keep the boost curve smoother. [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1