Clutch Replacement

Burroo

Morning all,

I have just been told that my Forester will need a new clutch sooner than later (bite point very high an pedal very stiff - I thought it was just the way the set up was in this type of vehicle).

I stay in the Glasgow area, has anyone any recommendations as to who to go to for a good, but reasonable job and how much am I looking at here to replace?

Many thanks

Clutch kit is about £160 for a Blueprint. If want do dual mass flywheel it will add another £400 to cost .
Fitting could cost around £260 for proper job and not overly hard car to do clutch on. Main thing is buy top grade parts & choose a known competent fussy mechanic so work done to high standard .

Hi Mr B,

Please excuse my ignorance, but is the dual mass flywheel a matter of choice or is it a standard part on some models.  If it's just a normal kit I need I can get a Blueprint kit for £163 or a Sachs kit for £191, would either of these be OK?

The garage I bought it from want to do an engine diagnostic as there is still excessive smoke from the exhaust, they will check the clutch at the same time - all free of charge....

yours has DMF (dual mass flywheel) . It is recommended to change DMF with new clutch but if you do really come down to you & the fitter really, they can be resurfaced even though many say can't, they probably won't last another clutch life though .

Blueprint or Sachs ok, Sachs kit with DMF is £500 region.

Get your Garage check it, they may even do a good deal on clutch if does needs doing .
Smoke issue needs be priority though, I would suspect injectors possibly . early boxer diesel can be a PITA and as potentially highly expensive best pursued while garage showing interest .

The Subaru main dealer to the south of Glasgow quoted me £1500 for a clutch replacement last year, so I spoke to the garage that's done my MOTs for the past 30 years and they came back with a price of less than £800 for supply & fitting a new clutch plate and Sachs DMF