Petrol

Naz

Fuel related, Im pretty sure using some fuels from certain companies would set off a P0420 code.

Although can't be certain, but seems like a coincidence. Those were the BP and ESSO regular unleaded fuels, I think it may have added ethanol? I just stick to Shell Vpower now :) worth getting the club card aswell, sometimes you get triple points per litre etc so you could get some money back

• Like 2

If it's turbo stick to high octane. Lower octane fuel can cause det in the engine.

If your car is an import and hasn't been mapped you will definitely need to use high octane fuel. If it has been modified again use high octane. It pays to get in the habit of using high octane. You may get caught short and 95ron will be OK but fill up the bare minimum and try to keep the revs low until you can get some real fuel and flush the cr@p through.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scoobyghost said:

If it's turbo stick to high octane. Lower octane fuel can cause det in the engine.

If your car is an import and hasn't been mapped you will definitely need to use high octane fuel. If it has been modified again use high octane. It pays to get in the habit of using high octane. You may get caught short and 95ron will be OK but fill up the bare minimum and try to keep the revs low until you can get some real fuel and flush the cr@p through.

Really scoobyghost is it that bad for a turbo last time i fueled up i put £20 of 95 ron in better make sure and use a high octane next time maybe go with the tesco momentum thanks for the advice guys.

It can be that bad. You could always use 95 and have no issues but if you stick your foot down and the engine detects knock it will ret-ard the timing and you won't have full power. If the knock is so bad the car can't control it, temperatures can rise inside the cylinders leading to failure of components. I'm guilty of being caught short and sticking a tenner of 95 in it with no I'll effects but I wasn't treating it the same way.

It's worth having a read up on knock/detonation and learning what it is and how to reduce the chance of it happening.

• Like 1

I have only ever run v power, but my local garage was empty of v power yesterday so I went to tesco and put the momentum 99 in, 6 pence a litre cheaper, no more v power for me, and car runs lovely on the tesco gear