Newbie needs buying help!!

chester991

Welcome to the club! A very good choice in car!

First thing that is important, check to see if it has a full service history, also find out when the cambelt was last done. Listen to the engine on a cold start for any tappity sounds, generally it's usually piston slap which is harmless and goes away when the engine is warmed up but if they persist then there are problems. 

If you take it for a test drive, and make sure to thoroughly go through the gears and feel for any notchiness. Could be a sign of an abused box... sometimes changing gearbox oil can help, depends on severity. Try and take it over some bumps and listen for any knocks or rattles! 

Great, thanks very much for the advise. Really looking forward to going to see it but just want to make sure i'm not buying something that going to cost me as it will be a family car (plus my new toy). I've been told the car was running on LPG by previous owner but has now been removed, any experiance with that? 

49 minutes ago, chester991 said:

Great, thanks very much for the advise. Really looking forward to going to see it but just want to make sure i'm not buying something that going to cost me as it will be a family car (plus my new toy). I've been told the car was running on LPG by previous owner but has now been removed, any experiance with that? 

sorry mate, no experience with LPG! If it's been removed I would maybe ask how long it's been running back on standard petrol... just in case something hasn't been done right

So I seen the car at the weekend and It was pretty mint apart from some small mark but that ok, It also had a few nice mods that the guy in the dealership had no idea about (he didn't know what he had), so I will be getting the car on Thursday and will get it into my workshop and give it a good check over but overall im pleased with it and I will get some pictures up soon as. I can feel my pocket getting lighter already.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2016 at 1:11 PM, Gambit said:

This is mainly aimed at the Impreza but I guess is relevant to most Turbo Subarus 

engine is the same in the impreza and forrester sti mate. I asked those in the know the very questions because i was pondering on one for the daily. decided against it because of the usual issues.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2016 at 1:11 PM, Gambit said:

6 minutes ago, chester991 said:

Is the rear anti roll bar on the forester the same as the impreza sti, the one on the forester has seen better days and I am abit fussy when it comes to these things, if anything don't look right it get replaced. 

cant help with that for def, but i would expect it to be different, more weight on the back end of a forrester

what is your experience with timing belt kits? I had asked my local performance garage about doing a upgrade kevlar STi belt and he said they were very noisy and unnecessary if not running crazy BHP. The FSTi is currently running 305bhp from last dyno in the paperwork and I wont be making it more for now, just concentrate on getting her nice smooth and shiney for a while as it will mainly be getting used by my wife to get the kids around and its my toy at the weekend lol.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got it, 2004 Forester Sti and I LOVE IT! Really happy with it and she sure shifts, got a few bits planned for it to tidy it up and looking the part and get the timing done, service and few other bit. Currently has few nice parts fitted including Tein coilovers, stage 1 remap , stage 1 clutch, some samco hoses and some others. Will get it in my workshop this week o have a good look under it and go from there.

IMG_4889.JPG

• Like 6

Hi and welcome to the club.

I have just sold my WRX Blobeye and that was painful!!! I am know looking for one of these. Can I be cheeky and ask some details of the one you have brought? You can PM me if that's better ?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk