2008 Hatch STI UK Style

BIGD

I think it's the pre 2010 ones that had issues.

Of those two, I'd favour the first one based on the service record and cambelt. As advised on other thread, second one has no claimed service history and costs more, so would be tempted to leave that one alone

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for that. Can't afford a newer one. I will keep looking.

I am in no rush just want the right one.

13k is my max budget so any help would be great.

Hatch or Estate

Blue or White

Less than 50k miles ish

250 - 300 bhp would be nice

How does this one look ?

Still worried about this engine problem if anyone can advice?

Spoke to Subaru and apparently it's when they are driven to the limit red line every gear constantly it pops cylinder 4 ?

On 24/09/2016 at 0:59 PM, david1972 said:

Of those two, I'd favour the first one based on the service record and cambelt. As advised on other thread, second one has no claimed service history and costs more, so would be tempted to leave that one alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nope, it's all 2,5's, even the 2015 ones have issues. Already seen 3 2015's having rebuilds due to ring land or HG. Only revision they have done to the engine is ridges on the outside of the liners to bond better with the block.

Does it def have to be a hatch or estate?

15 hours ago, BIGD said:

Spoke to Subaru and apparently it's when they are driven to the limit red line every gear constantly it pops cylinder 4 ?

I spoke to Subaru about this and the ECU 'flash' they offered which changed the parameters of fuelling and if the Prodrive version I had included those changes. The said they were included and from 2009 it was all sorted with the 330s model coming out.

Unfortunately that is not true as seen by quite a few failures (mine never had an issue - and it did get driven :cool:). If what Subaru told you was true why is it predominantly No. 4 cylinder?

The Pistons themselves are not forged which deals with the ringland failure issue but a bespoke map for your motor is a strong recommendation, get the ECU setup exactly for your engine.

Petes mate had one fail through oil starvation so whilst Subaru state the failure due to high revs etc that does not explain the failure itself. Lack of oil for some reason would be a cause and it has been discussed a few times on the forum about how the oil will not return to the sump under continued hard cornering - Track use for instance) - so a baffle plate and uprated oil pump would be in order if that is how you plan to use the motor.

I really like the STI hatch I had and will have another, no doubt about it but I will be tweaking it to compensate for the Subaru manufacturing compromises

nope, it's all 2,5's, even the 2015 ones have issues. Already seen 3 2015's having rebuilds due to ring land or HG. Only revision they have done to the engine is ridges on the outside of the liners to bond better with the block.

Does it def have to be a hatch or estate?

Ideally yes for the space why what you thinking?

I spoke to Subaru about this and the ECU 'flash' they offered which changed the parameters of fuelling and if the Prodrive version I had included those changes. The said they were included and from 2009 it was all sorted with the 330s model coming out.

Unfortunately that is not true as seen by quite a few failures (mine never had an issue - and it did get driven cool.png). If what Subaru told you was true why is it predominantly No. 4 cylinder?

The Pistons themselves are not forged which deals with the ringland failure issue but a bespoke map for your motor is a strong recommendation, get the ECU setup exactly for your engine.

Petes mate had one fail through oil starvation so whilst Subaru state the failure due to high revs etc that does not explain the failure itself. Lack of oil for some reason would be a cause and it has been discussed a few times on the forum about how the oil will not return to the sump under continued hard cornering - Track use for instance) - so a baffle plate and uprated oil pump would be in order if that is how you plan to use the motor.

I really like the STI hatch I had and will have another, no doubt about it but I will be tweaking it to compensate for the Subaru manufacturing compromises

Ok so if I buy a remap is a must ?

Look for a full history - cam belt change at at least 35 - 40K and budget for a ecutek type map - if not done already - this would not be for power but to have it fuelling properly through the rev range

Ok finally got some sense from Subaru the ECU problem is :

SU19 - Ring Land Failure is that update associated with that failure

Apparently you can call Subaru and get the car updated anytime for free as it's a fault so that's more reassuring [emoji3]

On 26/09/2016 at 10:10 AM, BIGD said:

Ideally yes for the space why what you thinking?

easier to find a hawk or spec c thats in decent nick thats all

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/imprza-sti-spec-c/5050530

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/jdm-wrx-sti-twin-scroll/5601509

there's no STI wagons in the new age by the way (ither than odd imported ones that were a bit of a funny spec without Brembo brakes etc)

Full service history and the seats go down lol.

Completely standard apart from a stainless backbox.

Just waiting on Subaru as it had a private plate so had to get the chassis number [emoji1]

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:55 PM, salsa-king said:

yep... still un touched

How do you find yours? What difference does the dial make in the centre console i.e more responsive?