2017 STI in the house

muziqaz

Hey,

so it has been a week since I got my STI, and as promised here is the thread with my experiences and opinions on it.

I will post some photos once I find some decent photoshoot place. This week I'm on holiday, so planning on driving a little bit. Need to crank on those miles to break in the engine. Keeping under 4000 rpm is not fun :D

Either way at the moment I am driving like grandma, 1st couple of days was cr*ping myself, since clutch is not very forgiving, but I kept apologizing to the car, so I hope all is good. I came from 2 years of DSG driving, so... yeah. Car brings extreme amount of attention, people stopping in traffic staring at it and stuff. Worst thing is they expect me to just shoot of to the horizon :D But yeah, takes me a minute or two to start moving from first :D

As mentioned in other thread engine covering wax broke its color and now is visible. Dealers mechanic confirmed that it was indeed wax.

I was thinking at later stage install axelback exhaust, but stock one is already too loud in the mornings (cold start) in my neighbourhood, and inside of the car exhaust is leading tone. I love it, but my passengers might not like it (not that I care).

Subaru arranged tracking system for free 1st year, second year its gonna be 150 or so, which is not a big deal. 1st year tax (£903) was paid by Subaru as well, so that is already good deal. No MOT for 3 years.

Not really thrilled about infotainment system, Starlink is basic of the basic. USB stick with my music gets forgotten when I switch off the engine, so I have to insert it again for car to pick it up. Scirocco had SD card reader for music, have no idea why that's not a thing with Subaru's. Speakers are very basic (didn't go for the premium ones). Halfway through volume they start to make vibration noise. I'm not really complaining about this, just noting, since I have boxer soundtrack going on in the background ;)

Also of note the car cabin noise. Coming from sh**ty scirocco, sti is very noise and mechanical. I mean I hear everything what gearbox and engine does, road noise is kinda similar to scirocco on a given road. I heard that 2017 model has much better noise isolation than previous models, so I wonder how did older models sound :D Again, not complaining, just noting that car means business.

One thing what worries me is rear light fogging. Its happening with one side and is visible at the side where there is no bulbs. In the future I'm planning on swapping them to something different, so it shouldn't be big problem, but disappoints me that Subaru can't sort out proper insulation still.

I got some advice about how to clean the engine bay from that wax and taking off the underside panels, thanks for that, I will look into it.

oh oh, petrol. in a week, half of the tank gone :D with 70 miles driven. Love it, I'm gonna go broke :D

• Like 1

Nice one and great to see your loving the car. Welcome to the 2017 era, we are breaking new ground :rolleyes: Just a few comments to make on your post. 

Are you really ment to keep the revs below 4000. Ouch. :blink: I can't remember how many time I have hit the limiter. 

I have a lot of wax showing on my engine, however I'm not to bothered about it as it's doing a job of protecting the components. 

I also love the sound and the worrble that comes from the car, however I'm planning in installing a cat back exhaust shortly. The noise insulation inside is good however I often switch the radio off and role the window down. lol

I agree with you regarding the starlink system, and it's even worse when you down load the app, now that is crap. lol 

Yes I have been using a bit of fuel as well, most of which is BP's unleaded 97.

One thing I did take advantage of was the autoglym life shine protection system on offer from Subaru.  http://lifeshine.com

Enjoy the ride. :-)

It might be too late, however I might be better to take things a bit easier. 

Then again I also had this discussion with my motorbikes. Does it realy do any real harm or should you drive it fast straight off. I'm sure there is a discussion on this on the forum somewhere. lol  

9 minutes ago, RichieT said:

Nice one and great to see your loving the car. Welcome to the 2017 era, we are breaking new ground :rolleyes: Just a few comments to make on your post. 

Are you really ment to keep the revs below 4000. Ouch. :blink: I can't remember how many time I have hit the limiter. 

I have a lot of wax showing on my engine, however I'm not to bothered about it as it's doing a job of protecting the components. 

I also love the sound and the worrble that comes from the car, however I'm planning in installing a cat back exhaust shortly. The noise insulation inside is good however I often switch the radio off and role the window down. lol

I agree with you regarding the starlink system, and it's even worse when you down load the app, now that is crap. lol 

Yes I have been using a bit of fuel as well, most of which is BP's unleaded 97.

One thing I did take advantage of was the Autoglym life shine protection system on offer from Subaru.  http://lifeshine.com

Enjoy the ride. :-)

Yeah I took lifeshine as well. Was considering paint protection wrap, but not sh***ng money at the moment :D

Internet all over the world is telling me that break in period is around 500 miles with revs under 4k, which is when boost kicks in. I has few moments when I went past 4k for short blip, and even can feel power build up around 3k rpm. Though I understand that I still do not experience full boost turbo has to offer.

I also use BP 97. Got used to them during scirocco years, so gonna use them as well.

Now I need to find self servicing car wash, as I don't want to **** off my neighbors by washing my car by my house.

Anyone know any in London (South/Southeast London)?

@Sandals, thanks for welcome ;)

3 minutes ago, RichieT said:

It might be too late, however I might be better to take things a bit easier. 

Then again I also had this discussion with my motorbikes. Does it realy do any real harm or should you drive it fast straight off. I'm sure there is a discussion on this on the forum somewhere. lol  

With bikes its kinda different. Besides we are talking EJ motor here, gaskets ringland, etc. Might as well take it easy first few hundred miles, to make sure everything sticks together nicely :D In USA, Subaru dealers even offer free oil change after break in period, to clear all the bits and bobs the break in period produced.

Some AMG Mercs even have computer limiting revs during break in period ;)

• Like 1

Clocked 250 miles over couple of days driving. Still hit or miss with the clutch. Also brakes are interesting. I came from no name kwikfit scirocco brake pads, so obviously difference is huge. My scirocco brakes would grab straight away, but with STI when I press it slightly braking is very vague. Obviously I did not press them hard enough yet to test them properly, but when pressing mildly they act similar when my Scirocco brake were overheating :) Again this is not a complaint, just observation. What make are STI brake pads and discs? Hand brakes when I park a car even at a slight slope I can hear a slight slippage. I have to pull handbrake all the way up to stop it from making that noise. This issue should go away once I start putting the parked car into gear. At the moment, I avoid doing it because my habits are still on Automatic, I am fearful that I might release the clutch after starting the engine without putting into neutral. Just need some time to get my mind into gear. I remember when my scirocco was in for service, VW gave me manual Polo. So I went to work with it, parked it in the car park, after work all tired and in automatic mode, I start the engine and instead of pressing clutch to get into reverse, I pressed brake pedal and tried putting it into reverse :D It ended up in some minor explosive bang :) So yeah :D

Anyways, am looking for some car covers, as during xmas I will be going for 3 week holiday abroad, and car will be parked in Airport car park. Anyone know any good covers? I'm currently looking into these 3:

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=16243&cat=286&page=1

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=16788&cat=286&page=1

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=18816&cat=286&page=1

I'm leaning towards the 1st one, but I do like the 3rd one, unfortunately they do not have 2015+ WRX/STI in the drop down list of selection.

https://flic.kr/p/M7EGZg

Let the games begin :)

Ordered from subispeed.com done the order Friday, was delivered today. Well happy, except customs fee :D

Anyways my aim is to rid the car from any chromey/silver bits possible. Debating with myself either to debadge Subaru AWD and WRX and leave STI only, or plastidip them black.

• Like 1

Finally fitted trunk hooks with some DYI, and spent couple of hours replacing steering wheel bottom bezel with piano black bit. Now need to get either hair dryer, or heat gun for some outside bits.

Also installed coin holder instead of fusebox cover. Fusebox cover had keypad glued to it, had to take it off. Interestingly coin holder had fuse diagram labelled V1, while my car has V2 diagram with some added fuses for DRL.

anyways here is a photo of the steering wheel:

First mods coming in :D

• Like 2

Thanks.

I think subaru should have done bottom bezel same color as ones around control buttons, would have been consistent and neat. And would have saved me from drilling my steering wheel :D I just don't get the obsession with silver/chrome :/

Anyway, clocked 460 miles already. Not long till I open it up :D Though manual says 1000 miles for engine break in. But driving in London traffic 500 miles become 1500miles on motorway.

No chance to open it up in London, especially with drivers recently being complete d***ks. And as soon as you hit 3k rpm car just wakes up and you are already breaking the law :D I can just imagine how she will act once I hit full boost. This car does not like mild driving. But I live in Kent part of London, so easy to pop out to some B roads. Like today got lost somewhere in Kent. Couple of hours later popped out somewhere around Gravesend :D What pisses me off is normal road suddenly becoming single lane road and you are too concentrated to see whats beyond the next corner. But being early Saturday morning, not many cars were around so I was lucky enough. I need some quality 2 lane roads. And I need to scout out some nice locations to park my car to take some pictures. As soon as I see some lovely landscape, there is nowhere to park and everything is fenced off :(

And yeah talking about milk, I always go to furthest of tescos to shop, even though there are one or 2 much closer to my house :D

Nice not to bad if you can get out quick enough on some nice country roads. I've only ever worked in London and lived there for 6 months as a kid . But nightmare for me to try drive around I don't mind driving at all and driven cities before but London just whole new world lol.  Have a chat with @Scoobyghost might be able to recommend some locations :smile:

• Like 1

Gloves are off

Gloves are off ;) Most likely will book an oil change just to flush all the new engine bits and bobs :D

P.S. Yesterday saw blue bug eye in Addiscombe, London, the chap inside it waved. Feel like I just joined a brotherhood :) And his bug eye was extremely clean.

• Like 1

Quick observation from a fellow new STi driver, the fuel RON rating for the car is 98 or better so really only Shell 98 or Tesco Momentum 99. I've kept away from anything any less to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, dgarside said:

BTW where did you get the boot hooks from as I need to get some ordered or mine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

subispeed.com but they ship with rubber nuts which are waaay too small for the holes they are supposed to fit. It took me another order from Amazon and some rubber cutting in order to fit them DIY style ;)

and regarding fuel, never trusted Tesco's fuel. And I asked the dealer when buying my STI, if BP Ultimate is ok, and they said its fine.

I have one Shell garage not far from my home, but its kinda off my way while BP is in very convenient place.

OK, done some more reading up on fuel, and will make extra effort to fill up with Shell from now on, especially now when I am past the engine break in period and am allowed to use boost :D

And there I was several months ago laughing my !Removed! off from supercars of london fool filling his brand spanking new 0 mile Merc AMG GTS with 95 octane regular fuel on his first petrol garage stop from dealers :D

• Like 2

Nice not to bad if you can get out quick enough on some nice country roads. I've only ever worked in London and lived there for 6 months as a kid . But nightmare for me to try drive around I don't mind driving at all and driven cities before but London just whole new world lol.  Have a chat with @Scoobyghost might be able to recommend some locations smile.png

I know some tasty b roads over in Essex. We have the monthly meet first Saturday of each month so you're more than welcome to pop down for a chat. Details can usually be found in the south east regional meet section.

OK, done some more reading up on fuel, and will make extra effort to fill up with shell from now on, especially now when I am past the engine break in period and am allowed to use boost :D

And there I was several months ago laughing my !Removed! off from supercars of london fool filling his brand spanking new 0 mile Merc AMG GTS with 95 octane regular fuel on his first petrol garage stop from dealers :D

Sounds sensible to me :-)

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

On 10/19/2016 at 6:42 AM, Scoobyghost said:

I know some tasty b roads over in Essex. We have the monthly meet first Saturday of each month so you're more than welcome to pop down for a chat. Details can usually be found in the south east regional meet section.

Thanks, I will check it out, and most definitely keep it in mind

Ok, I got in few threads in Regional section, so waiting for some chit chat to start about some meets or other thingies around South East in near future, though I do understand it being off season.

Today, I was walking around the car after work, and thought to myself: Hang on, did I buy brown alloys? :D Weird thing is back wheels are seriously dusted from brakes, way much more than front wheels.

And that clearance of brake pads to the inside of the rims... :crazy: