Induction kit. To or not to that's the question

Anthbax

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering what advice there is for swapping the K&N panel filter I've got installed to a short intake induction kit?

I've read a few things saying not to bother unless your uprating the power, bigger turbo etc, etc.

What would you all advise?

All opinions for and against are well welcomed!

Ant

On its own I wouldnt bother - spend your money elsewhere.

Most recent example is here - going back to a standard box removed the hesitation experienced with an induction kit

Air filters don't -always- need to be mapped in. It's not unheard of for a cone filter to cause issues for the car. Panel filters are much cheaper than induction kits. A filter on its own will give minimal power gains. Might get lucky and have 5 extra horses. Decat downpipe will give a moderate gain in power but 100% has to be mapped in to avoid fueling issues and overboost. Air filter, decat and a map could get you 20-40hp depending on other supporting mods.

I have a Cosworth panel filter, decat 3" turbo back and a remap. I went from 211hp to 276hp. I also had a RCM fuel pump and three port boost solenoid fitted for help and safety. Each car is unique in how it will take to different mods. It's never clear cut as this mod gives X amount of gain. Age, condition and type of fuel can also effect possible gains. Even the temperature 😂😅 Gotta make sure to close up all these loopholes.

• Like 2

There's really not at lot to be gained over the standard airbox if the cars standardish, with a short ram ( that's what I had on my blob wagon, messed the fuelling right up as didn't have map ) but for the short period of time I had it on there the turbo spooling noise was immense, totally addictive to the point that I was driving around on and off the throttle most of the time just to listen to it, I would defo recommend it purely for the noise tbh, mine was a cheap eBay crap one, maybe if I had bought a top end one it would have fuelled ok

If I was to do it, it would have to be KnN or another suitably decent make. I just wouldn't like to fit it and find out I was going to screw something up and have to then have it mapped. I'm in the process of having it serviced as I'm away working (The joys of a mechy fitter as a dad) apparently it's made a massive difference just replacing the green panel filter that was in it with a new KnN one so now i really can't decide. I love the whistle and always have done, I've had one on every other car I've ever messed about with but I"m just not sure I want to take the chance with a Scoob!

I have the Apollo fitted when I had the rebuild done by scoobyworld over 10 years now and never had an issue. Tell a lie I did once I pipped it up to the air intake pipe in the bumper went through a puddle without thinking safe to say I crapped myself and removed it being fixed on to the induction now.   

What do you want 1 for.their basiclly ok for looks and noise.if you fit a front mount intercooler you need 1 as the standard airbox comes out.if you look on youtube at mightycarmods they test them on a dyno and results show the standard air box gave the best power.my hatch has a aem on but to be honest if i did not have the front mount fitted i would take it off and go for a good panel filter in box.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

One of the main reasons of deciding whether or not to put one on was for the whistle, the other for the look. The only thing that has held me back was whether or not i would need additional mods to sort things like fueling etc. There seems to be a lot of for and against with them. I suppose it would help for fitting spark plugs etc due to not having to remove the air system to get to them. @david1972 How does it look sat on the car? have you done anything else to go with it??

That looks loads better than the original airbox! I'm currently sorting a decat downpipe and a fuel filter ready for a remap. I've decided not to go with the induction kit because its sounding like its all about the noise and not the gains that normal cars would get with them.

Thank you all for your input, you've helped a lot.

• Like 1