Winter wheels & tyres

Swayze88

Hey guys & gals, 

We've just had our first snowfall in Scotland and it's got me thinking about Winter wheels and tyres ( I'm actually away in Australia at the moment so didn't get to try it in the snow :( {also there are hundreds of XVs in Perth, it's amazing}) 

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap rims and winter tyres? I'd rather have a separate set of wheels and not faff about getting tyres changed over every time the weather changes its mind. original xv wheels are probably out of the question a they are pretty pricey and hard to come by 2nd hand at the moment.

What are other people running?

Looking forward to getting back to Scotland to play in the snow!

:tongue: None specific for the XV yet from what I can see. It's more rims I'm interested in than tyres. As you said, tyres is well covered, but it would be nice to see what people have put on the XV as winter beaters.

To be honest I found that the standard Geolanders were fine in the snow (as long as you had good tread depth).  I got caught in a severe snow storm a couple of years ago and we had 10" snow, had to drive back from Manchester and had no trouble, even on the steep hills everyone else was getting stuck on. Had a Porsche Cayenne follow me up one hill and he didn't make it, unless you're thinking of doing anything serious I wouldn't be too worried about the standard tyres.

On 11/11/2016 at 8:48 AM, Swayze88 said:

:tongue: None specific for the XV yet from what I can see. It's more rims I'm interested in than tyres. As you said, tyres is well covered, but it would be nice to see what people have put on the XV as winter beaters.

I've  got a spare set of wheels with Michelin Alpin 5. the wheels are in the accessories catalog for XV from main dealer. Also needed TPMS valves.

Not cheap solution but if I can get six years out of both sets of wheels on a six month turn around  it should offsetting the cist mostly.

We have had some black ice already and even going down a steep hill of ice didn't come close to activating the ABS under hard test braking.

Also the XV seems pretty good for lack of extra road noise from winter tyres - even at speed.

20161030_144436.jpg

20161030_144429.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 9:08 PM, Dogconker said:

To be honest I found that the standard Geolanders were fine in the snow (as long as you had good tread depth).  I got caught in a severe snow storm a couple of years ago and we had 10" snow, had to drive back from Manchester and had no trouble, even on the steep hills everyone else was getting stuck on. Had a Porsche Cayenne follow me up one hill and he didn't make it, unless you're thinking of doing anything serious I wouldn't be too worried about the standard tyres.

The Geolanders do not have the snowflake mark so are not allowed in parts of Europe where winter tyres are compulsory.

Does anyone know if Subaru Outback or Forester wheels fit the XV ??

Hi RyeCroft,

the wheels and tyres are the standard 17 inch.

I believe the forester wheels 17" should also fit as the hub and chassis on all new Subaru is same, but with different body as from 2016.

See pic20160930_205318.jpg

I've had a few -6°C mornings and driven through snow  between Turriff  and Fraserburgh . 

The Michelin Alpin tyres are great, especially on nasty black ice.

Chris

4 hours ago, Ryecroft said:

The Geolanders do not have the snowflake mark so are not allowed in parts of Europe where winter tyres are compulsory.

Does anyone know if Subaru Outback or Forester wheels fit the XV ??

Oh know they're not snow tyres. They're all season tyres.  I was merely making the point that they're actually quite good in the snow.

Hey Dogconker,

I'm shure your right.

IMO  Rycroft was picking up on the point that the rubber used in construction of the Geolanders is a generic all season, and no doubt global use compound.

Apart from the sipes the critical component in winter rubber is the copius quantities of silicon in the rubber compound. which keeps the rubber very flexible at temperatures below 7°C, consequently keeping more contact with the ground. Normal tyre compound becomes harder and less flexible below this temperature  and thus the tyre doesn't get such a complete contact when it's  very cold. 

The geolanders seem like a great tyre and were designed specifically for the XV/Crosstrek and are designed for use in  the hottest  countries as well as our roads.

I've been using winter tyres from various manufacturers  for over twenty years and believe they pay for themselves if you have a car long  enough and drive for several months in  temperatures below 7°C.

Having said that I've also found that not all winter tyres are equal !

But up against top winter tyres the geolanders IMO will never match the lateral grip or traction when you lay down the power.

But most of all, what could be better than an XV on great winter tyres when some bits of a country back road are covered in black ice on bends and around junctions.

Only a couple of years back I managed to avoid a car which shot out onto the main road I was travelling along because they couldn't stop. they managed to stop before the other side of the main  road but I was doing thirty and they were only ten feet in front coming out of a side road. Having good winter rubber enabled me to cross to the wrong side of the road and back again before they even stopped !

Without that extra grip I would have slammed into their driver side at at least 25 mph. so they've already paid for themselves for me.

Of course  it depends on your commute. but I've known own all the roads in the centre of Aberdeen  become one giant ice ring and on more than one or two occasions. it's funny watching a BMW x3 struggle to get up a 30% slope and I've  seen a dustbin lorry slide at 2mph down the entire length of a street.

Chris

Good summary Chris. Anecdotes about winter tyres abound. I used to have a BMW 320 (2wd). On winters, it was certainly better on ice and in the snow than my Legacy on standard tyres ! However, when I fitted winters to the Legacy :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Must now fit winters on the XV......just need to find a set of 16"/17" wheels at a reasonable price.

Oh, and I must source a space-saver spare as well.

On 16/11/2016 at 3:22 PM, Aberdeen Chris said:

I've  got a spare set of wheels with Michelin Alpin 5. the wheels are in the accessories catalog for XV from main dealer. Also needed TPMS valves.

Not cheap solution but if I can get six years out of both sets of wheels on a six month turn around  it should offsetting the cist mostly.

We have had some black ice already and even going down a steep hill of ice didn't come close to activating the ABS under hard test braking.

Also the XV seems pretty good for lack of extra road noise from winter tyres - even at speed.

20161030_144436.jpg

20161030_144429.jpg

These look like the rims I have on my 08 Impreza RX

They are a 5 x 100 pcd 17" rim. Tyres have a smaller tyre wall than you are running on the XV, currently shod with 205 50 17's

file_zpskxnglkj4.jpg

On 15/11/2016 at 9:08 PM, Dogconker said:

When we bought the XV the garage had just fitted 4 generic tyres, If they were geolanders I would be less inclined to get a set of winter wheels. But as Aberdeen Chris points out the difference between all season and winter rubber is quite wide. With the partner doing 50 miles a day in the XV to night shifts at the hospital its probably just a wise idea for when the snow eventually grinds central scotland to a hault.

On 16/11/2016 at 3:22 PM, Aberdeen Chris said:

20161030_144436.jpg

20161030_144429.jpg

Aberdeen Chris,

Do you "need" the TPMS valves? I'm hopefully picking up a set of 17" Forester Wheels Tomorrow, and was going to get some Winter tyres put on. If i dont fit TPMS Valves (and save myself £400) will the car freak out and always tell me that ive lost all my wheels?

Thanks Chris, 

Not quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. 

Just picked these up for £145 off a 2014 Forester.

They were a warranty replacement as the paint had started coming away from the centre. Not sure if I should paint them or plasti dip them yet. Now just o find some good (reasonably priced) winter rubber to go on them.

IMG_20161203_132534.jpg

They look great : - )

Good luck getting some winter rubber.

If it was me I'd scuff them down, prime the bad bits with the 2k acid etch primer u-Pol make for alloy wheels, respray and 2k clearcoat.

I've seen that corrosion on most BMW wheels. perhaps it's caused by the center cap being a different metal.

There's some center caps on eBay for a tenner  item 262705905949 .

They're going to look fab when you get them on.

Chris 

Thanks Chris,

Just bought those centre caps. As they are black and silver I think I might try and do a black and silver paint job on the wheels.

Spoke to Subaru in Penicuik and they said TPMS was around £100 a valve! Sounds like you got a good deal.

To be honest the wheels don't look to have any curbing damage and being your winter wheels will get abused by chemicals and nasty grit anyway.

Wouldn't it be possible to get a local body shop to touch up the centres cheap .

Also 152255740277 on eBay

These tpms valves look same as mine and should work for you. the tyre fitters have to be more careful when fitting the tyres but 150 pounds is cheap and you can fit them yourself.

Hope you find some good winter tyres for them.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have been of the same opinion that buying a set of winter tyres is the best option.

over the years the amount of time when I have been able to use my car from having winter tyres was amazing. I live on a street which has an incline all the way to the top, years ago when I had my BMW and could not even get out of the drive, I bought some winter tyres and the difference was unreal that year I was able to get all over the place.

From that point I have always had a winter set.

So this time for the XV I managed to get a set of spare wheels and was about to look at which winter tyres to get but I had started to see a new breed of proper all season tyres start to be developed.

Nokian Weatherproof and the MICHELIN CrossClimate

As these were just coming out there was not much info about them and no real / long tests done so it was quite a gamble, but one I was prepared to take as I saw benefits if they worked of not having to change wheels over all the time.

I opted for the Nokian weatherproof due to them having the snowflake winter symbol and the fact I had used Nokian tyres before but was a little sceptical how they would be in the heat of summer and handling.

Well this is the second winter I have had these on my XV and have to say how impressed I am. They are fantastic in winter been able to get all over in the snow and icy roads, Even going out of my way to find some sketchy roads in the dales to try. The handling and sure footedness in heavy wet conditions is unreal.

As for the summer months, they have also worked well, great grip and handling so I would say deffo an all round tyre. They seen to be lasting quite well also with a slightly less mpg than the stock tyres but only by a mile or two.

https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news-article/nokian-weatherproof-all-weather-tyres-safe-year-round-driving-comfort/

• Like 1

Looks like fun. We drove 370 miles on Saturday  and averaged 51mpg which isn't bad. On one part of the journey of 130 miles got average 57 mpg.

So the winter tyres don't  hit economy  to bad, also they are no louder than stock.

I want some of your snow to play on please.

We've had lots of ice and frost so thick it looks like snow.

But bring on the real stuff lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2016 at 2:13 PM, Aberdeen Chris said:

They look great : - )

Good luck getting some winter rubber.

If it was me I'd scuff them down, prime the bad bits with the 2k acid etch primer u-Pol make for alloy wheels, respray and 2k clearcoat.

I've seen that corrosion on most BMW wheels. perhaps it's caused by the center cap being a different metal.

There's some center caps on eBay for a tenner  item 262705905949 .

They're going to look fab when you get them on.

Chris 

Those centre caps didn't fit :( guess i should have measured before ordering parts from Bulgaria! oh well for £7 its not the end of the world. I guess the Forester centre caps must be smaller than 55mm.