Looking to buy a Head Unit

Hey guys, looking at buying a double din head unit for my hawkeye STI as I've only got the stock one in. Want something nice, so was thinking along the lines of Pioneer? Want something that can offer hands free as my wife loves to ring me whilst I'm driving (probably so I can't drive properly haha).

Open to suggestions. What's everyone got?

I would recomend the pioneer app radio range. but they are a bit pricey due to being touchscreen.

I have a SPH da110 from them and it works perfectly. Has Bluetooth calling, plus the options for connecting IPod's/iphones and Android phones. With a cable.

There are a load to pick from so choose one that does what you want. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Razz311 said:

I would recomend the pioneer app radio range. but they are a bit pricey due to being touchscreen.

I have a SPH da110 from them and it works perfectly. Has Bluetooth calling, plus the options for connecting IPod's/iphones and Android phones. With a cable.

There are a load to pick from so choose one that does what you want. 

This is what I was looking at. Think it was the DA-120 I saw that caught my eye. About £180 for a used one, which is what I'd do.

1 minute ago, Seminole81 said:

This is what I was looking at. Think it was the DA-120 I saw that caught my eye. About £180 for a used one, which is what I'd do.

I think that's the slightly newer version of what l've got. Just supports Apple car mode I think. I imagine the rest is much the Same. 

I also picked mine up second hand, works just as well as a new one would. Just make sure it's got all the cables you need as they are quite pricey to buy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Razz311 said:

I think that's the slightly newer version of what l've got. Just supports apple car mode I think. I imagine the rest is much the Same. 

I also picked mine up second hand, works just as well as a new one would. Just make sure it's got all the cables you need as they are quite pricey to buy.

Yeah think I've seen the 120 for about £180 give or take. Just having a look at the 110 now. Have you got a pic of it in your car? 😊 Does it do sat nav as well?

mine has sat nav but it runs off your phone so it will use your Data. Also if you want to listen to music at the same time it needs to be on your phone. I don't use the Sat nav for the reason i can't listen to my Ipod at the same time.

Also just grabbed a quick pic of it in my car.

IMAG1405.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Razz311 said:

mine has sat nav but it runs off your phone so it will use your Data. Also if you want to listen to music at the same time it needs to be on your phone. I don't use the Sat nav for the reason i can't listen to my Ipod at the same time.

Also just grabbed a quick pic of it in my car.

IMAG1405.jpg

That looks nice. Hawkeye wagon? Heat vents on Centre console give the hawkeye away haha, 

For the actual amount that is use the navigation I think that would be sufficient.  Does that have a CD player as well or no? DAB radio? Can you play movies and stuff from your phone on it too? Lol not that I would, just curious. 

Think that's definitely what I'm going to be looking for, something along these lines. Halfords had a brand new Pioneer on sale for £99 but it wasn't the touch screen style. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

That looks nice. Hawkeye wagon? Heat vents on Centre console give the hawkeye away haha, 

For the actual amount that is use the navigation I think that would be sufficient.  Does that have a CD player as well or no? DAB radio? Can you play movies and stuff from your phone on it too? Lol not that I would, just curious. 

Think that's definitely what I'm going to be looking for, something along these lines. Halfords had a brand new Pioneer on sale for £99 but it wasn't the touch screen style. 

Yeah its a hawk Wagon.

Yeah, most the time I just use Waze on my phone for the few times I need Sat Nav. It doesn't have a CD player but i believe there is a version that does have it. You can play movies and stuff on it, just need a compatible phone and cable (MHL output for Android and most IPhones work i think)

The touchscreen is nice to have as it basically mirrors my ipod on the screen. means no silly menus or fiddling.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Piggysniffer said:

Did you have to cut any of the surround on the dash or do the pioneer fit properly

It fits with no modification to the dash, Both the old and new headunits are Double Din so just take the old one out and the new one fits in with the existing bracket. The only thing you do need is a wiring adapter to go from the Subaru plug to a ISO plug.

• Like 1

Just now, Razz311 said:

It fits with no modification to the dash, Both the old and new headunits are Double Din so just take the old one out and the new one fits in with the existing bracket. The only thing you do need is a wiring adapter to go from the Subaru plug to a ISO plug.

What about the USB bit? Is there one that goes near where the screen is at AND a spare one to run somewhere else, or is it just one to run? I've got a god awful little switch thing I want to get rid of near the intercooler spray. Want to delete it, but if I can convert it to hold a USB that would be cool...

you can see awful switch that does nothing in this photo...also thinking of trying to mount that extra water spray bit (see the little box on the center console near where drivers legs go?) into where the ash tray is at...already got the defi link moved to the glovebox. Hidden 😉

IMG_3022.JPG

Il thanks

9 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

What about the USB bit? Is there one that goes near where the screen is at AND a spare one to run somewhere else, or is it just one to run? I've got a god awful little switch thing I want to get rid of near the intercooler spray. Want to delete it, but if I can convert it to hold a USB that would be cool...

you can see awful switch that does nothing in this photo...also thinking of trying to mount that extra water spray bit (see the little box on the center console near where drivers legs go?) into where the ash tray is at...already got the defi link moved to the glovebox. Hidden 😉

IMG_3022.JPG

Have you got a Clifford alarm ?

I depends on the exact connections you need or want. I have a micro USB connector for my phone which goes to the MHL converter and splits into USB and HDMI, and a 30 Pin Ipod connector. I have run these to the compartment under the armrest, just drilled a hole and poked them through. 

But if you just need USB then you could get something like This  and cut a hole where your switch is and have it as a USB port.

17 minutes ago, Razz311 said:

Ah ok, I been looking at the cheap Chinese head units on eBay but they measure 180mm across and my opening measures 170mm

2 minutes ago, Piggysniffer said:

Ah ok, I been looking at the cheap Chinese head units on eBay but they measure 180mm across and my opening measures 170mm

If they are sold as Double DIN they should be a straight swap. Single DIN is the same width as these just half the height.

Send a link of what you are looking at and I'll see if i can help

6 minutes ago, Piggysniffer said:

@seminole81

SORRY MATE, hijacked your thread a bit 😳

Haha you're alright mate! Sounds like we're in the same boat! Personally, if stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff. Alpine or Pioneer for me personally, or even Kenwood. Quality products, buy cheap, buy twice.

heres the proper link 😉

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Din-7-Touch-Display-HD-Car-Stereo-DVD-CD-Player-Bluetooth-Radio-UK-SHIP-/152222382279?hash=item23712938c7%3Ag%3A3lQAAOSwIgNXnA4r&_trkparms=pageci%3A6f33f078-af53-11e6-8023-74dbd1e00596%7Cparentrq%3A831b552a1580a5e0a20e080efff33689%7Ciid%3A1

Yeah I've never bought a cheap un yet but they do look the part and are so cheap, problem I have is I've done a lot of snagging for a company that imports Chinese built interior products, they are absolutely shocking, dangerous even, I know they are not electronics, but I'm wondering if they approach their cheap electronics with the same "devil may care" attitude....

• Like 1

my mate has a android head unit in his focus st,their great,he has reversing camera,dabs radio,obd2 adapter thing so you can use the torque app and monitor all car stuff,and all your apps,internet,sat nav,stuff like that,when i change my head unit its what am going to go with for my hatch.

• Like 1

Touch screens are defiantly the way to go now, best buying used as well because they still work just as good as a new unit.

On 11/20/2016 at 6:58 PM, Seminole81 said:

Haha you're alright mate! Sounds like we're in the same boat! Personally, if stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff. Alpine or Pioneer for me personally, or even Kenwood. Quality products, buy cheap, buy twice.

heres the proper link 😉

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Din-7-Touch-Display-HD-Car-Stereo-DVD-CD-Player-Bluetooth-Radio-UK-SHIP-/152222382279?hash=item23712938c7%3Ag%3A3lQAAOSwIgNXnA4r&_trkparms=pageci%3A6f33f078-af53-11e6-8023-74dbd1e00596%7Cparentrq%3A831b552a1580a5e0a20e080efff33689%7Ciid%3A1

It says its a double din so should fit, but for that price I would run. A decent branded touch unit is a least £200 for a basic model and for a good one new its normally around £400.

But i would definitely recommend Pioneer and Alpine, My Pioneer head unit and Alpine Speakers and Sub have yet to disappoint me.

• 4 weeks later...