Swap car thoughts?

Jon812

I own a hakeye wrx, completely standard, 80k miles on it. Had it 3 months love the car, full past service history and no problems. Cant get the thought out back of my mind about the weak engine problems ive been reading about. Seen a 05 plate blob wrx ppp for sale(great history, 1 owner), am i being over paranoid by wanting to swap? I do love my hawk but dont want to face engine going pop. Would anyone else in my shoes swap the car?

Buying any car there is always going to be the unknown element and things that go wrong. If you are currently happy with everything else pull the engine and make the changes, at the very least get an aftermarket map specific to your car.

Although I - along with a few other members on here, have had no issues with the 2.5 lump, there are a couple of discussion threads on here related to the 2.5 / ringland failure causes etc have a read and see if any of the points relate to your car or the way you drive - that may help ease the paranoia.

• Like 3

If I personally had the choice between the two motors and mechanically they were equal ie they both had the same amount of wear etc then I would go for a blob [probably bias]. Having driven both I feel like I get a better experience in the Blob, I think I just find a Blob more fun to drive? I would see if you can test drive a couple of Blobs before you make any decisions and perhaps try and test drive PPP vs stock wrx vs lightly modded wrx - low down torque is easily achieved if you invest a little $.It is always a risk changing motor though and what might look like a gem at first could just as easily be a problem in the near future...

Thanks for replys. Theres a couple of blob wrxs at a garage ive always got my imprezas from and he is reliable in terms of getting good car. Only had the hawk since august and it is a nice drive, very tempted to go have a look at the blobs.