2015+ WRX STi Owners - oil ?

Daz-RSK

People - when you get a mo, could you please look at the last service sheet you have the car, if you have one, and advise what oil was placed in. Thanks.

I don't know what they placed in on my 2nd service as it was done "on the house". But the initial service is advising they placed in 0W 20. I know a lot of new cars have followed this route as they can extend service intervals and is good for emissions, being so thin. Therefore, it didn't surprise me that Subaru would spec this, even though I will move to 5W 30/40 when I get to service it, as I believe the 0W 20 is too thin anyway.

But when I look up the spec, it should be 5W30/40 anyway. So I am questioning why the dealer has placed in 0W 20.

Anyway, please let me know what your dealer(s) have placed in.

Ta.

What?0W20, what is this? water? :D Anyways, Subaru manual gives you 2 suggestions 5w30 or 5w40.

5W30 is better at cold temps which don't apply to most of UK and 5w40 is great for hot summers or in UKs case all year around ;)

42 minutes ago, dgarside said:

2014 WRX STI latest shape and garage dealer uses 5/30 Shell Helix Ultra and when I do my interim services I use 5/40 Fuchs Titan Race Pro S. Once warranty is over I'll be using 5/40 all the time with black Subaru filter ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use that oil even now, as dealers have no right to void the warranty for usage of oil which is in Subaru's manuals ;) They might refuse (probably more expensive) 5W40 oil, but if you bring your own, doubt they would mind. Also, most dealers don't stock premium 5w40 oils ;)

I brought my own oil to the dealer for change, and they did not even say a word(well, secretary did, but mechanics did not). I used 5W40 castrol Titanium

Thanks for your responses people. You have all said what I thought.

I wasn't so concerned about the 0W they placed in as that is your ambient temp viscosity. 0 degrees outside, your oil isn't going to be a whole lot higher in temp before it is started for the first time in 12 hours - maybe a few degrees due to being sheltered. The 0W is nice & thin at this temp. It was the 20 operating viscosity I was a bit alarmed at.

In fairness, I don't rag it about and probably 20 is fine for my usage. But it's not the book guidance, therefore, it's a bit foolish to run against the guidance. So I'll have the inquisition at the dealers next time. I won't bother dumping it out now - I go through oil change intervals in 4 months and halfway through since the last. They or I can do it in March / April.

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Daz-RSK said:

I go through oil change intervals in 4 months and halfway through since the last.

4 months? 😨

OK, I'll be honest, I've not read the manual thru, but is 4 monthly required?

Never changed mine in any of my Scoobs, (GX, WRX, STI) other than at service times, I've only ever topped up.

Am I missing something? 😑 

9 minutes ago, Pixyflash said:

4 months? 😨

OK, I'll be honest, I've not read the manual thru, but is 4 monthly required?

Never changed mine in any of my Scoobs, (GX, WRX, STI) other than at service times, I've only ever topped up.

Am I missing something? 😑 

It might be personal preference ;)

Besides if you are hooning your Subaru, its better to change oil more frequently than suggested by manual.

Remember, manual suggestions are for normal driving in typical conditions. Easiest way to check if you actually need oil change more frequently than not is once change it let's say 6 months after last change and see what condition/color oil is coming out, if its all black with bits, then your driving style/car wants and oil change more frequently than manual suggests ;)

P.S. this is my own personal opinion and it is not based on any long term experience with Subarus :P :D

1 hour ago, Daz-RSK said:

Ha ha - sorry, not been on for a bit to get back to this.

No, 4 months isn't my choice. 4 months is Subaru's choice. That's 12,000 miles for me.

Ah, that makes more sense, since Subaru does suggest one year or 10k miles whichever is sooner ;)

TBA i do it every 5000 miles to be on the safe side for the 2.5 EJ257 and also I like it to be top condition. There are many posts online recommending it, but all above is valid as well, driving style, conditions, upgrades/modifications, BHP and tune. All have a factor in our high temp turbo engines on the break down of the oil over time. My personal opinion is that I'd rather pay for some oil and a filter and keep it top notch than wait until it's black and due according to manufacturer [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I am with you on that, with the frequent changing. I used to do that in a diesel motor I had 10 years ago and change every 5-6k miles when the service interval was a lot higher.

The reason I am not so on board with that, myself, now is because my journeys are just a straight 50 miles out of the driveway and down the m/way. It does little in the way of town / shopping trips. So a huge % of its operating life with me is at normal temperature, not the stop/start stuff that is a killer.

But that all said, I certainly see what you are saying because I used to do that, for sure. I then just figured for me, personally, it probably was a bit overboard, given this has been my routine of this type of usage for the last 20 years. But if your motor does do a bit more of the stop/start, absolutely, change the oil more frequent. A pot of oil is pretty cheap compared to other things that can go wrong.