Number plate on bonnet?

mattiekane

I prefer the on bonnet location - ever since the E Type jag carried it really, smooths the front end instead of the crappy bit of plastic you have to mount. The only reason they are on the front now is speed traps as bikes havent had / needed them for years

It's illegal to have a stick on one unless your car was made beofre a certain date, or hasn't got an 'oem' mounting point for it suppose it depends on how the OB are round you for things like that,

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just been through the DVLA site reading all their number plate info - it mentions colour, letter spacing reflective material and mounting front and rear but not found anything to say sticking it on bonnet is illegal. They do bang on about a BS plate so if the material used to stick on was not of the same level to get BS compliance (or not having BS standard a manufacturer and a postcode on bottom right corner) they may have something to say. Couldn't find anywhere stating vertical mount, the original document with this reference has now been replaced by another leaflet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/533255/inf104-vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

I have been on MOT sites and these state sizing colour and ability to clearly read plate eg no discolouration, cracks etc

The only thing I have found is back in the original 2001 guff which states must be mounted on the front vertically or as close to vertical where practicably possible but ensure that all letters numbers can be read.

(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/pdfs/uksi_20010561_en.pdf para 6)

I can see why they would not be pulled up if you had a reflective white sticker with appropriately spaced BS fonted digits etc, I think one site mentioned a fixed penalty of £35 (more for number plates with dodgy fonts made to look like words etc).

Way I would look at it is if you were pulled for something dodgy it is something else they could throw at you, but if this was the sole reason I would question the officers right to be drawing oxygen at that point :biggrin:

Iirc it's something to do with the reflectivity and more likely anpr being able to read them, when I had the hairdresser mobile there was a big hoo Haa about them as most owners replace with a stick on one as the plinth looks rubbish.

I can't remember about the involvement of the plod, but there were a couple of mot fails

I drove round with the smallest legal size plate I could get away with on the mx5 and never had a problem, apart from the over zealous mot man

I've only been stopped for number plates once, an my plate was in the window as I'd just swapped front bumper on my civic an had to shoot out to pick wife up, he proceeded to tell me I couldn't have my rear window tinted and I must take it out there an then, it's at this point I requested a traffic officer at the scene who educated his colleague lol

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've only been stopped for number plates once, an my plate was in the window as I'd just swapped front bumper on my civic an had to shoot out to pick wife up, he proceeded to tell me I couldn't have my rear window tinted and I must take it out there an then, it's at this point I requested a traffic officer at the scene who educated his colleague lol

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Ah i think a private reg on the bonnet would do the trick. Btw i dont work for newreg/dvla lol

█ W █ R █ X █