AUX & USB in a 2008 Legacy

Just said hello in the newbie section and hope to get the help/clarification i'm looking for.

I was surprised and disappointed to discover that despite having an AUX option on the HU controls there is no socket where one could/should be, just a blanking plate.

I've spent a lot of time since buying the car on Saturday looking for solutions and the Grom stuff seems to be popular but possibly overkill in my case. I have read there is, or was anyway, a Subaru AUX kit for dealer fitment but my only dealer has no part # reference, does anyone know this perchance?  My thoughts are to buy one of these or appropriate alternative and instead of pulling all the centre console trim out run the cable to a socket that i will fit in the top cubby box. I will also run a piggy back power supply from the cigarette lighter to provide a USB socket so our phones can be charged and music played if desired.

It seems like a simple desire and resolution but before i embarked on it thought i would explore what others may have done.

I have an Aux input in my RX impreza - I believe it was installed as part of an overall Stereo upgrade package as there is also a 10 disc player in the car.

What head unit do you have in your legacy as this site lists an Aux lead for the head unit I have

http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/p/Subaru_2010_Impreza/Aux-Jack-Kit/49926029/H6210FG000.html

Well it seems this is the part reference http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/p/Subaru__/Aux-Jack-Kit/49926029/H6210FG000.html

And the only Sussex dealer says it can be had for £26.13 + VAT. My only hesitation now is the sockets fascia isn't the shape as the blanking plate in the car? Wiring is one thing but fettling trim especially in confined spaces is not my forte. Time to consider what to do, but thanks again for the very useful link :smile:

1 minute ago, shadowman said:

Ah, perhaps not. Only just realised it doesnt mention Legacy models in the compatibility list  :unsure:

It is a US listing so the audio spec is possibly different.

The UK subaru dealer should know though.

5 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

It is a US listing so the audio spec is possibly different.

The UK subaru dealer should know though.

They're not the sharpest dealership in my very limited experience. The Grom kit is looking more attractive but is more than i need and more than i'd like to spend on two rather basic additional facilities. Oh well i'll keep researching.

17 minutes ago, shadowman said:

The positioning in mine is reversed, the 12V socket is on the top with a small rectangular blanking plate below.

20170306_145720.jpg

That AUX panel should replace the blanking plate with no cutting or modifications of any kind

Well i'll check if the part number can be cross referenced to the car. The US website doesnt mention Legacy options at all, which isn't encouraging. Where it is sited is ultimately less of an issue tbh. I had thought to use a 'Subaru ' AUX lead from the HU run up into the dashtop cubby box and leave the socket  fixed in there. At the same time i was thinking of taking a power supply up to the cubby box too so that a phone can be charged and music on the phone utilised with everything tucked away out of sight. If the part shown fits the HU in my car then ultimately i'd just relocate it to my preferred position albeit the lead with be kind of long!!

Busy on my first day!!

OK dealer has just confirmed now the part shown on the US website is not correct and has found the right one. I didn't bother asking for the relevant number though as the lead with just two tiny connections is a cool £82 + VAT. I know the Grom unit is more expensive still, but pro-rata offers a great deal more, with Bluetooth as the bonus feature.

Thats where the money is likely to go after all.

It seems like i may have just stumbled on a solution? http://www.world-beatsonic.com/audiovideo_cables/avc9-subaru-aux-input/

I've mailed them asking for confirmation and price. The phono socket aspect seems a bit outdated imo but i can hide all of that and just have it terminating in a 3.5mm jack anyway.

I'll post up their answer and the price in due course.

For the possible benefit of others here is the reply, in its entirety, from Beat-Sonic So its viable but isn't a great deal cheaper than the Grom AUX unit and the price could worsen if those lovely people at HMRC decide to add any duty and tax.

What to do? Perhaps the full Bluetooth module from Grom with added USB/AUX cable isn't such a bad idea after all?

Thank you for your enquiry for the AVC9.

I'm not able to directly cross reference EU model numbers for the Subaru
radio however I was able to do a Google search and it certainly appears
to be a compatible radio unit.
Photos of the AVC9 attached.

Price for the AVC9 is 3,500 JPY + 1,800 JPY shipping to the UK (DHL Express)
Total: 5,300 JPY (approx. 38 GBP)

Let me know if you wish to purchase and I will send you a PayPal request.

Best Regards,

--
Hendrik Wildy
Beat-Sonic Co. Ltd.
472-5 Koushin, Fujieda, Nisshin,
Aichi 470-0112, JAPAN.
Mob: +81-90-6628-4790
Tel: +81-561-73-9000
Fax: +81-561-74-5554

www.beatsonic.co.jp
wildy@beatsonic.co.jp

AVC9_connection_1.jpg

AVC9_plug.jpg

AVC9_socket.jpg

decisions decisions.... One of the pieces I found yesterday referred to the pin connections being different across the Stereo units so whilst it would plug in correctly the pins may need to be put in different position.

Reconfiguring three pins isn't too taxing but knowing where to reposition them could be.  I think the common sense option here is the Grom unit after all. More costly but proven and does offer Bluetooth, albeit that's catered for another way via a Garmin sat-nav.

It seems my other desire, wind deflectors is also an issue with sources and supplies :angry:

Oh well still enjoying the cars for what they are :smile:

• 5 years later...

@Mthokozisi

The aerial is printed on the rear screen/hatch, along with the rear windscreen heater element. There is an aerial booster fitted inside the hatch which connects to the radio via the left-hand wiring harness which goes through the rubber boot near the hinge. The wires in the rubber boot often break, meaning the aerial gets disconnected from the radio. Check the left hand rubber boot for breaks in the wiring. Note the right hand side rubber boot also carries wiring, mainly for rear lights, wiper power etc and these can also fail.