forester rear door spare wheel mount

jonboy

Has any one else got an LPG conversion? 

What did you do with the spare wheel...

I've had a Forester for about a month / 2k kms already converted to LPG and as the gas tank sits in the spare wheel well I have been thinking about mounting the spare on the tailgate...options seem to be fitting hefty gas struts and just mounting it like other 4x4s, or maybe fabricating a side opening gate that you'd open before opening the tailgate..

or what about one of those skinny spares that come standard on some cars...

Any ideas?? or point me to a thread thats already been started...

thanks all !

What model foz do you have ?

Not seen anything really relating to a wheel move before, may be worth having a look over on forester.org as it's a huge forum and I'm sure some of the US guys have done similar things when kitting the cars out for more serious off road/camping vehicles

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

best option is a swing gate for the tyre that goes through bumper and mounts off rear bar of the tow hitch.
Will be custom fabrication effort but not overly hard, use 2 taper needle bearings so the swing arm is play free and smooth to use .

other option is cans of tyre puncture repair or spare on roof-rack if MPG not a concern ...

chatting with my tyre man today and his view is ' dont spend the money dont mess up the back end ...if its only a few times a year you might need all the space stick the spare on the roof,  or the luggage. or the inlaws.  now that's a a thought....

swing gate can look tidy if done well and only thing needs trimming is bumper but can do it without even that but wouldn't look so neat, if don't travel far then not major concern just have couple cans puncture repair and good foot pump. if use roof rack then tyre will sit on roof or can go in boot upright with ratchet strap retaining it .

thanx for the advice MrB Im still looking at the tailgate option as it could look kind of neat if I do it well... but the tyreman's advice about it only being an occasional issue is hard to beat.  i'll let you all know what road I go down on this one. Ta.

• 2 weeks later...

Just Gamble on not needing it! Weight savings and all...

But in all honesty, I've got a Can of Gloop in the boot and an electric pump stuffed under the drivers seat for any emergency.

I've had one puncture and drove 18 miles wondering what was wrong with my suspension before I clicked that it was flat!

Turns out, much like the original Citroen DS :) Foresters are not bothered by punctures.