Iffy boost in 1-2

Hi guys, new to this forum but trying to get to the bottom of an issue that's driving me mad. Pun not intended, I've just bought an import wrx sti Gc8, it's mapped to 275 but here's my issues, in 1st and second the boost seems hesitant and produces the kanagaroo effect, boosts fine in every other gear! Can't feel or hear any leaks... any ideas?

If it's running a standard ecu search for the classic self ecu code check sticky thread on here . Then to see if any fault codes are stored .

If not what what ecu is in the car ?

Classics do tend to suffer from fuel slosh which causes fuel starvation and fuel cut when cornering hard with under half a tank (which can also give the same sort of symptoms )

Cheers for the reply, it's not a standard ecu can't see exactly but an OBD2 port is there, no codes coming up. 

Im starting to think it might be something to do with the ignition as I think there would be more demand in lower gears? Either that or whoever mapped it forgot about the lower end 🙈

Just been thinking classic only have a natural pos switch so to ecu does not know what gear your in and a no it doesn't work it out from rpm vs mph so I don't think it will be to do with your ecu

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea who mapped it, and yes could be messed up by any mapper on a bad day, we all have em

edit, or did you mean, any way it could have got messed up at some later date after mapping, as in something out of kilter

Yes there are coil pack conversions you can do to newage items - yes the map could be off but when it was originally completed they would have test driven it / rolling road so chances are it is something that has gone defective since the session however as already suggested get it booked in for a diagnostic session - running mafless wont affect just two gears it would impact across each of the gears and only real problems it would throw up are engine running rich at lower revs / idle so nothing dramatic. ESL solution will retain the code functions and if you can get the ESL software it will list the faults for you as they have a code table included.