AutoGlym Kit

Seminole81

So broke down and finally decided to purchase a proper detailing starter kit. Just went with the autoglym starter kit for now to get me started. Any tips? I've read about the two bucket method, but is that entirely necessary when you have a bucket and a hose? Lol

This is what it comes with. Not bad for £50.

• 325ml Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
  • 325ml Super Resin Polish  - Four time winner of Detailing World’s Polish of the Year award
  • 325ml Extra Gloss Protection
  • 500ml Clean Wheels
  • 500ml Instant Tyre Dressing
  • 300ml Wheel Protector - Recommended & Commended in the 2015 & 2016 Auto Express wheel sealant test group
  • 500ml Interior Shampoo
  • 500ml Fast Glass - Commended in 2015 Auto Express product awards
  • 500ml Vinyl & Rubber Care
  • Wash Sponge
  • Hi-Tech Finishing Cloth
  • Hi-Tech microfibre Drying Towel
  • Free Hi Tec Polish Sponge

• 2 weeks later...

I always use a two bucket method as if your car is relatively dirty you end up rubbing dirty grit all over your car and end result can leave new scratches and marks that can be avoided

autoglym stuff is good from my experience had a 2.5l body shampoo bottle and a 1l super resin polish from them that's lasted nearly three years which should last me to the end of this year

Having a plenty of microfibre cloths is useful, I use separate ones for each step

My break down of a full works wash, polish and wax is:

Hose car down

2-3 bottle caps of body shampoo with hot water in two bucket method wash from top to bottom, do wheels last with wheel cleaner from front to back

Hose car down again

clay bar the whole body using soapy water or detailer spray to keep the areas being worked on wet

Hose down car once more

Dry car off with microfiber towels and shammy leather

Work super resin polish into the bodywork and allow it time to haze up being careful not to get it on headlights or plastic trim, badges etc as it tends to be a pain to remove it if you get it on these parts

Buff off with clean microfibre towels

Apply Meguiars ultimate wax allowing 10 minutes for it to haze up and dry or in your case the autoglym extra glass protection doing two panels at a time so once you buff off the first of two panels, apply wax to another panel then buff off the second one and so on so you always have a panel hazing up while you are buffing another one.

Once all the main graft is done next I use the glass cleaner round all the windows inner and outer

Use wheel protector and back to black tyre dressing to get them nice and shiny

Use back to black bumper shine on the plastic trims

Lastly if it needs it I hoover all the footwells and mats and use an interior seat shampoo and dash cleaner to get all the inside clean and that's it

I'll only do the clay bar, polish and wash every 2-3 months as it's a lot of work and takes me about 3 hours start to finish then just periodically just use the body shampoo and detailer spray

• Like 3

That is a great start up kit but as @Hudson described - you are missing a clay bar, if this is the first time going for it I would suggest the Meguires clay bar kit, comes with bar and spray, works very well

x2 bucket approach works for me particularly as the rear arches hold a huge amount of crud 

Was looking at the Doo soon juice bar and spray on eBay. £13 shipped. Never done two bucket method and not entirely sure what it requires? Assume you use one for wash and then clean car and then rinse off in second bucket then go back to first bucket?

No mate lol. 1 bucket with your shampoo mixture. The second bucket with clean water to clean your sponge before dipping in soapy water again. Keeps the dirt in one place. Never put dirty sponge in soapy water.

1 minute ago, Sirspidey said:

No mate lol. 1 bucket with your shampoo mixture. The second bucket with clean water to clean your sponge before dipping in soapy water again. Keeps the dirt in one place. Never put dirty sponge in soapy water.

Aye that's what I was saying lol

48 minutes ago, Kilrathal said:

To add to this for anyone who has a membership.

Halfords currently have 20% off all Autoglym products, I haven't tried yet but the 15% coupon should be applied after.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/car-cleaning-kits/autoglym-perfect-bodywork-wheels-and-interior-gift-collection
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/clay-bars-detailing-products/autoglym-clay-surface-detailing-clay-kit

Result!!

On 08/05/2017 at 7:24 PM, Seminole81 said:

I saw that when looking haha. If I buy premium membership can I get discount right away?

you need to wait for the card to come in the post.

just make sure that you keep the card in your glovebox when you get it! for them inpromptu Halfords visits.