Mechanic Joyride - Advice

Amaru

Hi all, would just like some advice really on what can I do with this situation. 

My scoob went in for some new brake pads, all round. and unbeknownst to them (and myself) my dash cam was recording for the whole hour it was there. I know they need to test them afterwards, but that's where i'm a little hazy on the protocol for the bedding in procedure? do you take the car up to 30mph then slow but steady brake to a stop, then up to 40mph brake a little harder and come to a stop, initial test done?? and then the obvious take it easy for a week or so while they properly get set in once they hand the car over. 

Now, my camera recorded a top speed of 77mph going down a residential road with cars parked up on both sides of the road, technically the speed limit is a 20mph zone, as there is a school they actually drive past at around 55mph. 

so when I do confront them about this, and if they just dismiss the whole situation as if it never happened, would a situation like this be able to hold up in court.

Thanks in advance ☺

That's what i'm doing tonight after work.  Just trying to cover all my bases and know where I stand should they try and squirm out of it. Thank you for replying :happy: 

Make sure you keep a copy of the vid and provide them with a copy. Other option is report it to the police, but depends how far you want to go.

Bedding in depends on the pads, so do some don't. Other than potential incorrect bedin wont have harmed the car at all.

See what happens when you speak to them.

Speeding in your car in a residential area isn't going to make you look good , and I doubt they had much mechanical sympathy when battering the car around like warm up etc , I would go confront them and see what they say , but first name and shame the !Removed! ;)

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

I do all my own brakes and tbh there is no need for any of that as long as can stop the car without the peddle hitting the floor then normal driving will set them up fine now I don't mean doing 77mph and expecting it to stop in 5sec but in about a week or so of normal driving thay should be back to normal

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

I do all my own brakes and tbh there is no need for any of that as long as can stop the car without the peddle hitting the floor then normal driving will set them up fine now I don't mean doing 77mph and expecting it to stop in 5sec but in about a week or so of normal driving thay should be back to normal

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Also if braking hard from 70 plus mph isn't going to bed your new pads very well , when I got my Godspeed setup it's says you need to do roughly 300 miles driving like miss daisy to properly get the reaction to take place the it sayed do 3 hard breaking almost emergency stop from 70-20 mph then that finishes them off , if it was me I wouldn't be happy especially as they prob charged you a fair whack for the privilege

• Like 1

Wasn't clinic again was it? [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Just a joke peeps [emoji8]

Have a look into the situation with clinic though. It will help you see what may happen and what plan you need

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

Wasn't clinic again was it? emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Just a joke peeps emoji8.png

Have a look into the situation with clinic though. It will help you see what may happen and what plan you need

lol, doubt it, got dales close by so no residential streets.

Reason it kicked off with clinic so much was the owner refused to show the video, made up half the story then went straight to the press. Don't get me wrong, shouldn't have happened in the first place, but they guy was looking to stir it up. Apparently he's done it before elsewhere and never took up the offer for his car to be checked over by RCM, so pretty obvious he was never that bothered.

Wasn't clinic again was it? [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Just a joke peeps [emoji8]

Hahaha banter !!! Haha i was going to say that but though probably best not too lol ..

back to topic tho don't it just suck that you can't take your car in for something as simple as breaks without some disrespectful !Removed! battering it down the road

36 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

Hahaha banter !!! Haha i was going to say that but though probably best not too lol ..

back to topic tho don't it just suck that you can't take your car in for something as simple as breaks without some disrespectful !Removed! battering it down the road

Was an Audi Main dealer that got caught as well a while back.

I'd say it depends what you expect to come from it. Obviously the police would be interested in it. I doubt the garage would be though.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Jesus. Name and shame for sure. Make sure you get multiple copies of the video on file and go and complain to the garage etc. I'd be tempted to even report it to the police as well as that's proper bad crack from a garage...

Was an Audi Main dealer that got caught as well a while back.

Yes a customers rs6 iirc !Removed! ridiculous

Hey all, sorry not getting back sooner, thanks for replying 👍🏻

Manager was interested until he saw the speed, then started saying I need to do the route again, get my camera sent off for calibration testing. All because the little smart car in front didn't seem to be going that fast, it didn't look like he was going 70mph. But that's what the speed stamps are for surely?! 

Then walked off before I could say anything further. The guy who tested it said he'd owned 3 subarus before hand and he knows what there like, then went on to say he saw the camera and only went about 45mph tops..

38 minutes ago, Amaru said:

Manager was interested until he saw the speed, then started saying I need to do the route again, get my camera sent off for calibration testing. All because the little smart car in front didn't seem to be going that fast, it didn't look like he was going 70mph. But that's what the speed stamps are for surely?! 

Then walked off before I could say anything further. The guy who tested it said he'd owned 3 subarus before hand and he knows what there like, then went on to say he saw the camera and only went about 45mph tops..

Either way that's still 25mph more than the 20mph zone...

2 hours ago, Amaru said:

Aren't those cameras measuring speed by GPS? I'd call that claim about calibration - b*llsh1t! 

• Like 2

Yeah I'm keeping it offline for now, have handed it over to the police to decide what they what to do with it. Thank you again everyone, you've helped keep me level headed about this.

all this was from a local garage in the tailgate area of Crawley, I'm not naming and shaming just yet as that could make me liable under some law somewhere, and could be taken to court over it. Going by what I've heard or read about with similar situations around the country...

and yes, all these cameras and sat navs use gps, so if anything did need calibrating it would be the satellite tracking me 🤣 

• Like 3

Dash camera footage always look slower than what the car is doing, I think especially if you have a wide angled lens one.

I guess you could compare speed reading of your gps with your speedo (might be 3mph slower unless your speedo has been calibrated) then compare the readings with the dash cam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My mechanic simply leaves a warning flyer on the dash stating that new brake pads have been fitted along with advice on breaking them in. They never do a road test unless specifically asked to do so to diagnose an issue and always with the owners written consent.

He also said that if he felt it necessary to begin bedding the brakes in he would use the rollers on the mot bay much like they do during the mot test.

Arguably the driver is guilty of "taking without consent" as you only asked them to change the brakes which does not require a road test - let alone a speeding road test.

Mark- 

I have compared the gps to my speedo multiple times before hand, and more since Tuesday, it is roughly 3mph slower than the actual speed as you say 👍🏻

And yes, wide angle lenses do give people doubts as to how fast vehicles are going.. that was one of the guys biggest points, it didn't look like it was doing even 50 on the footage, he kept saying it again and again... 

Shifty-

that's sensible really. I would like to think that most garages would do this, but now I know otherwise.

but to clarify ☺️ it's mainly the speed I have an issue with, especially as I do use that road often!! 

And thank you everyone, again 👍🏻 You've all been great 

• Like 1