Possible head gasket death? (Video)

chrisemms

Hey guys just wanted to get an opinion on this,

Started the car from cold and about 10mjn later I get what happens in my video above.

Ignore the steam as I lifted the bonnet and the rain water dropped all over the turbo and internals...

Started off looking like an airlock but then starts to get quicker, when was the coolant changed last ? They are a bit more of a labours car to bleed than normal systems,

what does the expansion bottle look like when you keep rad cap on ? Oily film or signs of coolant, or white smoke form exhaust?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

it definitely needs flushing and new coolant in it, is the oil dip stick frothy or milky at all?

A compression test would rule out the head gasket, if it's not head gasket I'd just say rust has mixed with the coolant

This is pretty much what the wife's 2.0d X3 was doing and pressurising the water system, that was head gasket, and also it's pretty much the same as my wrx is doing now although I have more frequent smaller bubbles and some presssure in the water hoses, and uses a little bit of water, I put some kseal in it and it's not gotten any worse over a couple of months, just gonna nurse it along until I get the other engine finished, but I presume it is head gasket

ah right might be head gasket then, thanks for all your responses! 

i've got a head gasket testing kit coming today so if that fluid turns yellow then i'll know for sure. 

strange really as theres no obvious white smoke, overheating of any kind and the dipstick has no milky oil and neither does the oil cap. 

A lot of the time you just get a hairline crack in the head gasket between the cylinder and a waterway so you don't get any water/oil mixing, tbh if yours does turn out to be headgasket and not just an airlock working its way up then I would presume it is very early in its failure and probs best to address now

Mine went the other week, no overheating or smoke just the odd bit of mayo and random bubbles, managed to do nearly a thousand miles before it started to drink coolant,

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk