Ex Sub Now Returned

Evening all, a once old school sub owner back in the early noughtys (2000 onwards). I have returned and with a grin and a sad face. I recently picked up a Sub 2006 WRX 2.5 Hawkeye and was impressed with it's modified selection and price (Wink Wink) and more excited about the do me up project ahead (tailored to my taste over the previous owners). But first I had to have a play 'dont we all' and like before the smile was planted well and truly back on my face as I drove through the Surrey countyside, blipping and popping as I enjoyed the weekend sun. Then the world went dark come Monday morning as I flipped the auto start and finished my coffee and headed off to work. I hadn't travel more then two miles when the engine died, no rhyme or reason, no splitting, or splutter just a silent dying. I spent the rest of the day, attempting to start with no luck; she cranks and wants to nearly go but NO 🤔 but maybe that is for another thread later. Either way I'm back, with a non starter but still smiling 

Thanks SG and nope to your question 🤔 

Electrics were all fine, petrol was half tank, no splutter or and signs, it just died. Checked coil packs and seem to get a spark but on testing it again it was either not there or weak but Battery is good and so on. I can hear fuel pump and smell fuel. I first thought it maybe crank sensor then ruled it out as got a spark but today no spark then a spark I'm wondering if it is actually the crank sensor but I can't get hold of one of quick enough to test plus I don't have the tools to do a Multimeter test. To be honest I'm a little stumped. It's got to be something silly, as the engine is serviced regularly and only done recently and it's had money thrown at it on parts etc. 

Do you have an alarm/immobiliser that could be playing up, could be crank or maybe camshaft sensor ? (I don't know if moody cam sensor would stop it running), maybe pop a fuel hose off to make sure your defo getting fuel, and obviously check cam belt for proper tension and to make sure it hasn't skipped any teeth 

Thanks PS, it has a fully loaded Clifford system which seems to be working fine. I am swinging towards a Crank or Cam sensor too but like you I'm not sure the Cam would cut the engine unlike a Crank. Reference fuel line that's on my point of to do's - Cam belt etc looks fine 

It might be worth checking the ecu codes and doing a ecu reset. I think most use a eBay obd Bluetooth interface and the torque app on a smartphone .

If the alarm is fully loaded ,does it have a hidden switch or sequence of buttons to re imoblize it ,maybe ?.

As although mine is a different brand it has a few tricks to get it started ,even with the fob and keys . Also has a turbo timer built in which might explain it cutting out after running for a short while?

Hopefully it's a easy fix fella

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks SB, already tried a ECU reset 🤔 no resolution. I tried to read codes but as I have a aftermarket setup and remap it's locked down so can't drag off codes. I did consider the alarm but I have checked over and changed setting too but no fix (mind also has key fob start and turbo timer etc). I'll keep digging 😀

Have you checked the cam ,crank sensor plugs and engine loom earth's for corrosion?

Have you definitely got spark and fuel ?

Surrey rolling road have a lot of scoobs on their rollers , might be worth seeing if they can diagnose the problem? .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk