Decat Exhaust + No Tune = ?

Seminole81

So...I'm picking up my new new slightly used Cobra exhaust next week...if I fit the 3" decat with the full system and DON'T tune I'll get boost creep yes? Or is it a maybe? Ran out of money to do the tune, so would I be safe to run on the exhaust until I can raise funds? I've heard you can boost creep and I've heard sometimes you don't...

Dammit @Jay762 need you and your Tactrix! 😂

23 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

you doing a full system? downpipe as well?

I would expect issues though. Just leave it off till your ready for a map

Yeah mate, full 3" system, decat included. I've read various things, some say they overboost, some say they haven't...I would expect it to, but I have DEFI gauges and can see the alarm to go off if it overhits...

3 minutes ago, stants said:

You'll throw a cel on new age for a start, save up for map them do all at once

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dammit! I've read conflicting on this as well...

Edited by Seminole81

It's more if the ecu isn't 'seeing the arf it expects and can't trim the values to the 'acceptable' levels it wants, classics will adapt better to the mods but not sure on new age

Just now, stants said:

It's more if the ecu isn't 'seeing the arf it expects and can't trim the values to the 'acceptable' levels it wants, classics will adapt better to the mods but not sure on new age

Well, I'll be adding in more Air with the HKS and more fuel output with the pump, albeit that will be trimmed to with what the injectors can push out...

It will probably throw a cell if it doesn't you will be lucky , not sure about any running issues tho , . But doesn't your car already have a tune ? If you go back to the same place it won't be to expensive about £ 200max, it would defo be worth waiting and saving , as you've got the intake on too , could be expensive if things go wrong

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, aucky said:

Just fit the cat back part till you can afford remap and sould be ok.then fit decat pipe when ready for a map.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

3" midsection doesn't go into 2.5" cat though 😕😢

5 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

It will probably throw a cell if it doesn't you will be lucky , not sure about any running issues tho , . But doesn't your car already have a tune ? If you go back to the same place it won't be to expensive about £ 200max, it would defo be worth waiting and saving , as you've got the intake on too , could be expensive if things go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, no tune on it that I'm aware of. Is there a way to check if it's got a license or software on it already?

My 3" cobra track day system is mated to a cusco decat downpipe that has a 2.5" flange on the outlet fine with a normal "conical " fire ring gasket .

If the overall cat back length is the same ,I'd keep the oe downpipe on until your ready to map .

As it's not just overboost and boost creep you have to be wary of ,it's the boost coming it too early and without a a afr gauge it could be a expensive short cut

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This is why I did all my decat in one go a week before mapping as the only bit of driving I will be doing leading up to the mapping is to get the fuel tank very low and give it a full fresh tank of v-power, had my decat up pipe and down pipe sat in my garage for nearly a year while whoring other parts haha, it definitely throws a cel on newage as got one on mine but I haven't suffered any limp mode or anything. Fitting an aftermarket air filter and doing away with the panel filter and box could also leave your car running poorly without a tune. If you do fit it just be wary to stay off boost as much as possible till you do get it mapped. Personally I would wait till you get nearer being able to get it mapped so you don't get tempted to test out that new exhaust note :P

43 minutes ago, aucky said:

It does if you buy the adaptor plate.they sell them on tarmac sport.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

This one?

yeah I probably will wait to fit decat until I can map.

31 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

I'm currently running a 3" down pipe to 2.5 " cat back I believe with just the fire ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The donut one? I dunno, I'll have a look...

IMG_5020.PNG

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

Is it worth the hassle and cost of the extra adaptors and cone gaskets to get it on now and driving it like a granny or to wait a bit till mapping :Jumpy:

...aye probably because I don't know when I'll be able to tune...plus I'd be able to sell current exhaust to raise funds for tune 😬😂

2 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

...aye probably because I don't know when I'll be able to tune...plus I'd be able to sell current exhaust to raise funds for tune 😬😂

I guess that's one way to look at it, if you do that and it all's fits ok hope your other exhaust sells in good time :)

7 hours ago, Hudson said:

I guess that's one way to look at it, if you do that and it all's fits ok hope your other exhaust sells in good time :)

Yeah well, that's what I'm hoping for at the least haha. The little adapter would be useful to have as well for when MOT time comes around and I can put the cats back on 😉😊