Locked ECU and Remap

Wondering if anybody might shed some light on this for me please.

I've got a Alcatek ECU on my Version 4 classic, which Andy Carr remapped. Not long after I've found out he locks the ECU after mapping so it can't be tweaked or adjusted without his code to release it.

Is there anything any other mappers can do? Would they be able to flash it and start again or do I need another ECU? I only ask because I'd rather take it to GR or another mapper for my future mods.

Or am I not giving Carr enough credit & get him to tweak it - bonus being it'd be a lot cheaper than a full Remap. Only thinking of changing because I've always used GR in the past and just from things I've heard about Carr. But then again, every mapper has some detractors.

most mappers lock the ecu. Who owns the map is an ongoing discussion, does the mapper who's work it is, or is it yours who commissioned the work? So they tend to be locked and if you want to go elsewhere they have to start from scratch.

I spose if you go in depth , it's like music and stuff the artist , in this case the tuner , will own all creative royalties as it's their art , but when you buy a film or a cd it's yours it's only an issue if you start trying to sell it as yours . or start making pirate copy's

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Yes but you've paid for the license so why should you have to pay again to have it unlocked and start from scratch you've commissioned the work so should be able to do what you want with it. Another mapper may look at it and find it wasn't as good initially as it could of been and release even more ponies as well as tweaking it for any additional mods. Like most people these days our cars come from all parts of the uk thanks to the internet so a car mapped in say the Deep South could end up in Aberdeen so not reasonable to take it back to the original mapper because of the distance. 

There was a chap - I was on the ESL course with who had a tuning shop - because of this situation he had his own security code generator to allow access to locked alcatel units - cant remember his location but if you would consider him as an option I can try and dig his details?

To play devils advocate, lets say a ECU is left unlocked and a mapper comes to tweak it and decides to copy the map and use it on other cars? either as a base map or just a flash map? 

I can see arguments both ways tbh, its one of those types of discussion that rumbles on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

There was a chap - I was on the ESL course with who had a tuning shop - because of this situation he had his own security code generator to allow access to locked alcatel units - cant remember his location but if you would consider him as an option I can try and dig his details?

hmmm, i wonder if andy is aware of that? or it could well be BS

that I wouldnt know - I remember the chap saying he was constantly on the phone to get these codes from the supplier that in the end they gave him his own key, ill try and dig his name out anyway its about time I followed up with some of the chaps

Yea it's a pain in !Removed!, if I'd have known about the locking thing I wouldn't have taken it to him in first place I don't think. I actually didn't know about that as I'd only used GR before. Nevermind.

Regardless of that as long as it's possible to flash it and start again that's fine with me just wanted to make sure it was possible. Even if it will cost me more.