Subaru Newbie Turbo 2000

Ash007ks

Hello all, after a year of ownership on my world rally Blue Subaru I decided I would look for a decent Classic, as with any insurance these days its all about owning the car first before you get a decent quote, my current Subaru was £850 a year Fully comp, not bad for 22year old I guess, my friend suggested a swapping site as it was free to put your car on there, dubious at first I decided what was the worst that could happed, 10 mins in and I had already been offered redtop corsa's and a z20let, which you can imagine I had held no hope for the vehicle that you see below. 2 days passed and numerous cars where been offered and money quoted but nothing really pipped my interest until I got offered an R33 GTS, the thought of rear wheel drive nearly took me to the dark side and just as I was about to click yes I was offered a stunning example of a turbo 2000, which if I am honest seemed a little too good to be true. As all things your mates are the first to pick up on how good something looks and why he would rather swap than sell, I offered to meet the Gent half way so he could look at my Subaru and I could look at this one, everything checked out and tbh he was a cracking guy. Well the rest is history, I swapped my 276bhp Bugeye for the car you see below.

lovely example of a turbo 2000, outside is pretty standard other than the crystal pack that has been added and wheels.

Engine however is nicely tuned.

Closed deck block
Ej205 heads
Newage sti Rods
HB twin dot pistons from early newage 2001's
Cometic head Gaskets 1.4mm
Graham Goode Racing timing belt
New water pump
New timing belt tensioner
Full engine gasket kit
Heat wrapped headers and up pipe
Oil catch can with pcv delete
Carbon Canister delete
Uprated sti header cap
Full turbo back 3" jasma jap exhaust Decatted
Baileys dump valve

PPP ecutek ecu fitted.

Absolutely love it. Always wanted a classic but could never insure one for the right money until now. Done a full swap of the ECU for a PPP ecutek for the moment till I can get it custom live mapped for this set up, going to run it on the TD04 for a while while the new engine beds in and then eventually move up to a nice TD05 or VF34.

let me know what you guys think. this is after 7 hours of painstaking cleaning. not sure if some of you already know the previous owner but he has done a cracking job of looking after it. Sorry for the Essay :).

post-1324-0-95190900-1377799108_thumb.jp

post-1324-0-64188300-1377799128_thumb.jp

post-1324-0-92796400-1377799162_thumb.jp

post-1324-0-97280000-1377799181_thumb.jp

post-1324-0-74888300-1377799206_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Mate - firstly Wotcha and welcome to the site.

secondly - what a machine - it looks great defiantly sounds like you were dealing with someone like yourself - a real enthusiast.

No problem with the length of the post, dont mind that at all - between myself and Gambit (he'll be along in a minute or so) we write x4's as much and make about a 10th as much sense as what you have ;) 

Only thing I would point out (having done it to a bike oil cooler recently) it might be worth spending some time, or replacing, your intercooler as I dont think the airflow through it will be too good at the with the fins the way they are at the moment.

• Like 1

The bloke gave me x2 of those as well, so that will be my work around for this weekend, just waiting on hearing a call back from Duncan with a date that he can map the car, as at the moment its slightly overfueling, so for the minute its a very pretty drive addition :) .

He definitely was an enthusiast and im going to keep it looking exactly the same as they are becoming rare in a rust free and unmolested state. for the inside ive got one pillar gauge which is a pro stepper which matches the blue conversion and then at a later date will probably upgrade to the STI seats as these are showing slight signs of wear.

Very nice car looks like it has been well cared for  not like many of them at that age have not been looked after   and genuraly thrashed   but nice one 

can i ask you what insurance company you are with please ?  You see i am 37  but i am classed as a new driver as i jjus got a uk licence on the 29 april this year but I have been driving for 20 yrs  I passed my test in northern cyprus as i lived out there as my dad worked there for years and its the turkish side so my licence wasnt able to be swapped so i had to sit a test in the uk both theory and practical , I passed first time  naturally lol  but i am classed as a newbie driver it pisses me of sooo much as now i pay almost 2500 a yr fully comp !!!!   and before i had to resit i was £ 300  full comp  for my saab 93 aero convertible 2.5 turbo !!

mad mad  rip off the insurance companys are  , 

2nd time writing this as my dog managed to get ALT F4.

Finally got myself in for a remap today as I need the car next week, my Ecu that I got off eBay was chucking fuel in but not making the right boost at all so I wanted to find out why.

Upon arrival to the Scooby clinic my car decided to go into 3cyl, and with no explanation of why, the ECU was checked and so was the maf sensor and both where found to be running absolutely spot on.

Fiddling with coil pack checking for a spark one of the lads pushed a wire on the injectors and suddenly its back to 4cyl and then back to 3, a quick check and it was found to be the wires of the injector plug coming free, a plug was quickly sourced and fitted.

Everything else was given the once over and then the go ahead was given for it to be put on the DYNO :) .

I then had to wait a further Hour for Pat to turn up, nut when he did more problems arose, My Ecu decided to commit suicide and no longer work at the time there was no explanation as to why, another was sourced and quickly fitted, but then Pat couldn't log into the ECU to map it, an error was traced to his OBD cable (reason for blowing the first) and away we went.

A few runs in the boost seemed to peak just under 1 bar, around 9-10 psi, the wastegate pill was checked and then changed and away we went again, it was then found to be a shoddy turbo that wouldn't make anymore than 10 psi of boost :angry:  however saying that it still made 232 bhp and 240 lb of torque, I have been advised to get a billet turbo as this engine is built for 450+ but im just on the look out for 320bhp so a TD05 will suit me just fine. If anyone has one let me know.

A few vids of the day and a nice picture ignore the figure on the screen as this is for boost and HG and is the power at the wheels. As always Stay Tuned folks.

th_IMG_13781.jpg <<<<<Clicky

IMG_13831.png

And here we have a few pictures of the car I swapped it with, my 2001 Bugeye with private plate running 276bhp.

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

• Like 2

Well my day gets better and better.

I decided to go over my graph from Scooby clinic yesterday and noticed I had a perfect spool curve, this got me thinking how the hell can my turbo be broken if its spooling correctly, which must mean I have an Air leak, while driving my suspicion was further pointed towards an air leak by my boost gauge, one minute its boosting to 10psi and the suddenly all the boost is gone yet my foot didn't move.

When I got home I decided to fit a spare intercooler I had but while it was off check all the pipes on the turbo and surrounding areas, that's when I noticed a manual boost controller one pipe from the turbo but no other pipe connected which is obviously where the boost was going, now this was next to the turbo but on the frame, which begs to believe how can a company like Scooby clinic miss that I had a manual boost controller, so now basically im £480 lighter as they charged me for a map and apparently an hours labour and im now currently running 8psi of boost which is of course standard boost.

An email shall be sent and then we shall see how great there customer service is.

Remind's me of another garage I used for tracking to be done they took the car for a drive after doing it. Not sure why, and when he got back told me my clutch was on it's way out and I needed a full set of coil packs :D 

Ive never had a great experience with them tbh, I once mention this on another forum and magically half of my post with the finger pointing as to what went wrong and with who was erased, should have just waited for Duncan from Race dynamix to map it again, live and learn I guess.

Scooby world did all my work full engine rebuild clutch and map wasn't cheap but was a few years ago now. And I don't want to try give anyone bad feedback more so when it's a big company that is involved with something I enjoy and I've never used them myself. So I and have heard good thing's about Scooby Clinic So not sure if you are just really unlucky with them or there is something more. I will bow out of here now before I carry on ;) But Tlag I think is in Coventry not to far from me I would be tempted to try him if he was willing next :)

Least the weathers been good today here :D 

If I get duff service I give them a chance to redeem themselves then if they dont come through I tend to spend the next 20+ years sharing the bad experience with anyone who asks for an opinion / reference - hence why I will never use Demon Tweeks or Judd Racing again

But where I get good / great experience I will do as much as I can to promote / refer the business so it grows

• Like 1