Used Impreza with Small block replacement?

Hey guys

I've found an Impreza diesel that I want to buy and the owner has mentioned that it has had a small block replacement. He says it was done by Subaru under warranty and has receipts to prove it for when I go to view this Saturday.

I was wondering is it wise to buy a car with an engine change? I'm in two minds because the car looks and sounds great by the pictures and what he's told me but I don't know if it will be extra aggravation in the long run?

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk Pro

The early diesels had problems so if the blocks been changed under warranty then you should have avoided the initial problems that they had, what year is the car & how much mileage ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It is a 2.0 Diesel Subaru Impreza with 77k miles. MOT 17th April 2018.

It has full Subaru service history (Same dealer – Simpsons of Subaru) up to 56625 miles/23/12/15. I purchased the car April 2016 with 57500 miles on the clock.

Three months after the purchase the camshaft failed. Simson of Subaru replaced the short engine block (£5500.00) under Subaru warranty, customer care was excellent here. With the engine came new oil sump and timing belts so these don’t need replacing for some time now when comparing against cars of same mileage. The Subaru is running fine, drives and pulls well.

I have replaced the brake discs, brake pads and tyres. The tyres are premium Nokian tyres, I have had these on my last few cars and will put them on my new car as they are good al season tyre. I have had the wheel alignment and toe adjustment carried out (Hunter Hawk-Eye at KwikFit) so the car is driving as it should.

Dont meam to scare you off here we go.....Snapped cranks, stuck glow plugs, dpf issues to name the major ones,

Why not give the original dealer a bell and double check the history

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's a great idea, I'll be doing that!

But wow I didn't realise they had things that bad go wrong. I know there would be teething issues with the earlier models, but what sort of year would you recommend getting, if you recommend getting a diesel at all?

That's a great idea, I'll be doing that!

But wow I didn't realise they had things that bad go wrong. I know there would be teething issues with the earlier models, but what sort of year would you recommend getting, if you recommend getting a diesel at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would first ask 'why do I want a diesel?'

What sort of mileage do you do a year?

Work out cost comparisons, it takes quite a lot of miles per year to make any sort of gain from a diesel.

Just my pennies worth [emoji1][emoji1]

• Like 1

Lol hey I'll take all the pennies possible thanks [emoji23]

I do between 8-10k a year. With that it's at least one trip from Kent to Scotland to see family and then other long range drives to likes of Devon for family holiday away.

I'm currently driving a 1.6 petrol 2005 civic, which when on the motorway does 43-50mpg depending on traffic flow.

I was looking for a mix of power and mpg so I thought of diesels to be the best way.

I'll gladly accept any suggestions if you see anything wrong with my view?

I see your reasons why. As i understand you need to be doing close to 18,000 miles a year to get any gain from a diesel. Having said that, maybe a WRX or sti would not be beneficial to you, but on the other hand a diesel all wheel drive would only give you similar mpg to your civic (if smart driving). I had a Impreza 2.0L NA and got close to that mpg........well more like 35ish lol

Again just my view [emoji1][emoji1]

• Like 1

Lol [emoji23]yeah I'm sure I'd get about that If I had an n/a 2.0 too!

No worries, I appreciate all the viewpoints that people can give me [emoji106]

I'm still in two minds about this one with the small block change though. From the pictures it looks really good and the price is cheap because the guy needs a quick sale to buy a work vehicle. But on the other hand is he selling cheap because something's wrong? Need to wait and call Subaru when it opens and hopefully they'll give me more details on what was changed.

I think I would be cautious at a cheap price to sell quick. Generally means get rid quick before something else goes wrong. Could be a good motor, but if it's a good one, why change it for a works vehicle. I.e. Loads of space, good mpg, new engine etc??

Personally having had a 2.0 NA, I know the engines are pretty much bulletproof, I'd be looking for one of those. Good luck with it and I hope it's a good one for you 🤞

Yeah I am cautious for that reason especially! It's like a 200 mile trip to see it so it's put me right off.

Apparently he used to own a freelander, got bad mpg from it, switched to this, couldn't fit his tools in it and now wants to change back.

Thanks dude, I'm still looking so hopefully I find something before JapFest this year [emoji106]

Right, called Subaru, it has had a small block change which entails

LOWER BLOCK, CRANKSHAFT, CONNECTING RODS, PISTONS, RINGS, MAIN BEARINGS, ROD BEARINGS, CAM BEARINGS.

I asked are there any drawbacks to having all this changed and Subaru state that it should all be fine

much as this is a subaru forum we are quite open about the short comings of the brand and the fact, unfortunately, is that subaru are comparitively new to the diesel technology and still have a way to go to get to the same levels the petrol solution has achived.

For the mileage you are wanting go for a petrol Subaru or an alternative diesel brand model with a longer development history

• Like 1

Yeah I am in two minds now to be honest. I've told the seller that I don't want his one with the block change now. As much as I want a petrol variant, I'd want to go for a 2.5 turbo and not 2.0 n/a but the tax and insurance would be too high every year to warrant getting one [emoji22]

Thanks for the advice [emoji106]

Yeah I am in two minds now to be honest. I've told the seller that I don't want his one with the block change now. As much as I want a petrol variant, I'd want to go for a 2.5 turbo and not 2.0 n/a but the tax and insurance would be too high every year to warrant getting one [emoji22]

Thanks for the advice [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why not the 2.0L turbo?

Scratch that, just re read your post. I get what you mean now. But pre 2006 and the 2.0 turbo is cheaper tax.

Hey guys, I took the plunge right after I went and looked at this car. It was stunning and almost perfect bodywork. Has just a small dent the size of a 5p on the door other than that it's perfect! It's a diesel and my god, the torque! I've not owned something like this so I'm thoroughly impressed! Lole576156940fef14bf0147a6d0b5cc0b5.jpg