Engine fault code disables VCD/TCS

jinxinferno

Hello all,
I've got a bit of an unusual request and possible some useful information for other owners about the effect that an engine fault code can have in a MY07 Liberty.

I purchased a MY07 2006 Liberty GT a year or so ago from a dealership in Melbourne (an independent car dealer). During the 3 month statutory warranty period, the car started throwing consistent engine fault codes.

The dealer encouraged me to keep driving the vehicle in case the light went off on its own accord. I was a bit miffed since the fault disabled the sports mode and cruise control. But after a few occurrences, I decided to give it a go.

Now, when it throws a code, the car goes into limp home mode, which is something I've experienced with other vehicles.

However, something I hadn't experienced before is that limp home mode disables Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), which is basically Subaru's version of Traction Control.

As a result of this, I went to accelerate from a set of traffic lights turning right in wet weather and the car slide understeered across two lanes and hit the gutter almost perfectly side on.

The damage isnt extensive but both front and rear suspension and wheels took a bit of a hit on the left hand side.

I've decided to return the vehicle under statutory warranty but the dealer is claiming that TCS or VDC doesnt actually affect the traction of the vehicle.

What would be really helpful right now would be if I could get my hands on anything from Subaru which states that the VDC is disabled by engine light/limp home mode and that it actually affects the vehicles traction.

If anyone has any suggestions/references/resources that they can throw at me, I'd be eternally grateful.

Code was P0021 A CAMSHAFT POSITION SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK2)

and the extract from your owners manual is exactly what I wanted to hear. The VCD light was on permanently. Which means I had at the very least no Traction Control and possible even no ABS etc as well.

Is there anyway you can send me the owners manual as a pdf if you have it available? Mine didnt come with a manual.

I'll try attach what I've got. Bear in mind it's for a UK 3.0 Outback. You'll be looking for section 3.22 or thereabouts.

2006 Subaru Legacy Owners Manual.pdf

2 hours ago, jinxinferno said:

Code was P0021 A CAMSHAFT POSITION SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK2)

and the extract from your owners manual is exactly what I wanted to hear. The VCD light was on permanently. Which means I had at the very least no Traction Control and possible even no ABS etc as well.

Is there anyway you can send me the owners manual as a pdf if you have it available? Mine didnt come with a manual.