Couple of Problems me thinks?

XVGUS

Hey lads,hope you can help me with these 2 possible probs.

First of all My xv is a 14plate 2.0 diesel turbo se

First Question: Is it normal for the tensioner that located to the right under the alternator to have sideways movement under idle or should it stay still?,cant remember if the aircon was on or off at the time!!

Second Question: Can third gear be a pain to slot into when giving the car a bit stick? it was my first time driving an xv so could it be down to my driving style and not being used to the gearbox?

I don't want to buy the car if these are issues,its been niggling away at me for a couple of days now..........

Thanks in advance

XVGUS, I had a quick look at the pullies on the XV, I took a video, but can't upload it at the moment. I did not see any significant movement on any of them. The tensioner had a slight wobble as the belt ran around it, but probably only 1mm or so in the direction the belt would be pulling it. For reference this is on a 2013 diesel with about 47,000 miles, it's just had it's 4 year service. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

XVGUS, I had a quick look at the pullies on the XV, I took a video, but can't upload it at the moment. I did not see any significant movement on any of them. The tensioner had a slight wobble as the belt ran around it, but probably only 1mm or so in the direction the belt would be pulling it. For reference this is on a 2013 diesel with about 47,000 miles, it's just had it's 4 year service. 

Hi mate,and thanks....... Yes I think after speaking to a few mechanics today that they are meant to have slight movement when idleing and maybe a tad more if aircons on. I only found this out this afternoon so im going back to AF Noble to check my future car out as im sure there was noticeable movement. The cause incidently can be the alternator pulley being seized and not the tensioner itself or so im LED to believe.

Also found 3rd gear once or twice when giving it some beans a tad hard to find,howz yours regarding this (might have been my driving and not being familiar with the box)

Thanks again

I don't believe 3rd is a problem gear, I only get to drive ours at the weekend as its the parters car.

Definitely don't  rush into it, there are plenty XV's coming on the market at the 3 year old mark, I'm sure if you wait you will get another.

I rushed into buying our one, and I ended up doing an oil change, filters and alignment to satisfy myself that the work had actually been done.

You might also be better off looking at one that has just had its 4 year service, as this is an expensive one, with rear diff oil and all other sorts of costly fluids included.

I have 2014 model XV Diesel SE, same as yours. 1st to 2nd can be a bit lumpy when under heavy throttle but 3rd in both mine and my wife's is fine and pretty smooth. Certainly not hard to get in gear.

if you can't get it in gear I'd say leave alone

as for the 4th service as stated above you can expect to pay upwards of £350 for that service and around £240 for the interim services.

20 hours ago, Dogconker said:

I have 2014 model XV Diesel SE, same as yours. 1st to 2nd can be a bit lumpy when under heavy throttle but 3rd in both mine and my wife's is fine and pretty smooth. Certainly not hard to get in gear.

if you can't get it in gear I'd say leave alone

as for the 4th service as stated above you can expect to pay upwards of £350 for that service and around £240 for the interim services.

We paid £585 from AF Noble for our 4th year service! fook me i had my pants pulled down. Lucky I didnt let them do the front brakes/pads else i wouldnt have had much change from £1k.

Right lads thanks for the replys,Ive asked them to check these points out and to go and have another drive in the car just to see if it was just me regarding the gears!!! So Once I'm back from holiday I'll know more.......

Also the cars just had the big service,48k on the clock,diff oil etc all done plus new front pads and discs...

I'll keep yous up to speed on the outcome.....

I have owned Imprezas in the past and in retirement have bought an XV 2.0D SE Premium from Ian Grieve Subaru, Camelon, Falkirk. After a lifetime in sales I found the Sales Manager Gavin Fraser as professional as they get - check out what he has.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys and thanks again for your help and info.....

First of all they replaced the alternator tensioner after I highlighted it,let me drive another xv then take the one I bought out and both were pretty smooth regarding the gears,i think I was just getting used to the box lol. Done around 400miles and finding the XV braw to drive now :-)

• Like 1