Braided lines

Hey guys

Changing my pads and discs in the next couple of weeks but uprating them to Brembo instead of the rubbish that's on there now. I'm keeping the calipers original (just painting them instead) but is it worth changing the brake lines to stainless braided ones? I know if your changing calipers then obviously change pad and disc sizes and upgrading the lines is a good idea, but for standard size brakes is it worth doing?

I'd have a mix bag of answers so wasn't sure. Any advice appreciated!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends what your doing with it I guess, I've just done mtec discs and mintex pads all round on my STi with a view to-do braided lines and DOT5.1 fluid soon, mainly cos I think been able to stop is more of a priority than going fast haha and I want a back road blaster lol

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah you're not wrong, being able to stop is definitely a priority!

I'm not looking to do track days a lot and I'm driving a gen 3 diesel so I do have quite a bit of power but not as much as yourself. I do like to step it up though when I'm on my own and not carting the wife and kid around lol does having steel lines improve the braking power a lot? Or not so much that you'd notice straight away?

If you have the budget to get braided lines then you sould.the oem rubber diteriate and go soft which can make them swell up if you have to brake hard and if you are keeping the original calipers they sould make it feel a bit better when braking instead off the spongey feel you get from subaru.i fitted hell braided lines to my hatch wrx,they dont mate a vast inprovment on their own but as@mattiekane said braking is something you need to make sure is right.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you have the budget to get braided lines then you sould.the oem rubber diteriate and go soft which can make them swell up if you have to brake hard and if you are keeping the original calipers they sould make it feel a bit better when braking instead off the spongey feel you get from subaru.i fitted hell braided lines to my hatch wrx,they dont mate a vast inprovment on their own but as@mattiekane said braking is something you need to make sure is right.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Yeah brakes are definitely important! Especially if I'm wanting to remap somewhere down the line, the extra stopping power would be great! I'm looking at hel lines too, between £50-£70 for a set of four.

For the cost of a set of braided lines... you may as well do it if you're swapping calipers over.

Not swapping calipers unfortunately, keeping OEM calipers (just going to paint them up) and changing disc and pads to Brembo, and now possibly hel lines lol

The brakes do feel a bit spongey since getting the car a couple weeks ago, but as I said I'm replacing the brakes all round which would have sorted it but a firmer brake pedal would be nice too! [emoji106]

How hard are the lines to replace? I do have a good amount of experience with mechanics but I've never done brake lines before.

Also I don't really know what variant my car comes under. I know the engine type is an EE20, but I don't know if the car type is a GR, GH etc. Anyone know the differences in codes so I can find lines easier?

Yes should be fine, speak to tim at Scooby parts he will cross reference for you and if you mention the owners club possibly get a 10% discount

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Yes should be fine, speak to tim at Scooby parts he will cross reference for you and if you mention the owners club possibly get a 10% discount

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tim couldn't help me in the end lol he couldn't get through to his suppliers. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited a couple weeks because he was recommended, but he had no luck, so he said I should call the manufacturer instead. Called Hel Performance the same day and got them couple days later! [emoji23]BUT.. wrong colour.. wanted red, got PINK!! d017b78e9aa3fc7d812827bc2d67df93.jpg 🤦‍♂️sent them back today finally and HOPEFULLY will have the right colour 🤞