Just brought Impreza wrx wagon 2002

Hi am new obviously; just brought my first scooby - Impreza WRX wagon 2002. Always wanted a WRX but could never afford it. Couldn't have a saloon now as child and dogs wouldn't fit! So let my heart rule my head and brought wagon from private seller;

Already costing mega money! lol it's currently in the local garage having full service (sparks broke in half on mech when he checked them and fuel filter looked like sludgeville!)  all oils drained and replaced and apparently the vacuum pipe was off the turbo, worst bit being the EXTENSIVE rust under rear wheel arches which they have just stripped out enire rear interior to replace and tell me that it's as good as it came out of the showroom now! The bill is scary too! I am hoping to "run it forever now" !!!!!!!

Welcome :) always saw on here rear arches are a place to look at so don't consider yourself unlucky!

Mechanic snapped front brake calliper bolts on my gfs Impreza.. from the looks of the discs it looked like it had a previous owner that used it as a cheap runabout (non turbo) and so didn't bother with routine maintenance.

My legacy around the same year everything comes off easily, but had full service history (ex mod)

It might be all sludgy etc now but hopefully if you look after it properly, it will be years of feeling like a driving god :)

About to hit 200,000 miles on my legacy, aside from a common leak, still running great!

Also a friend of mine converted his wrx in Europe to LPG, says now it costs around the same as his previous Astra turbo diesel to run

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yay Scoobs back from the garage yesterday late and after "feeding time at the zoo" (teatime for husband,child and animals) we all piled into the car and took a long road trip from Bideford to Bude on the Atlantic Highway A39, loads of twists and turns little straights to get the turbo opened up - but also lots of "grockells" or holidaymakers that are not used to the narrow/bendy roads here in Devon! Love the holidymakers as it Devons bread and butter! 

such a lovely drive in the scoob, not top performance as can't open her up on those roads but certainly will be taking her on a longer run, have to take her to Dulverton to our Local (if you can call 75 miles away local) dealership for the recent recall from Subaru on front suspension and that is a good Road for testing out the turbo and has crawling lanes for HGV's and caravans etc! 

Have some bodywork issues to sort out like the rust bubbles on paintwork above the rear wheel arches (must have crept from the hardcore rust underneath) and a few dents/scratches on the roof from the last owners use for skis, snowboards and surfboards  

My scoob has 125,000 on the clock and the previous owner took into the alps (he had rad go on him in the mountains and had to negotiate in French to get it done) 

i plan to run her forever now especially after the garage bill of £2000, I asked the garage to take pictures of the welding work being done so I could post on here with it! 

If there are other Subaru owners in north Devon I would love to hear from you

• Like 1

wotcha and welcome - running on the 99 ron stuff vpower etc will give better MPG and the Shell stuff will keep all your tubes clean. There are good quality after market parts for your motor nnow so keeping it on the road will be a lot easier - stainless steel exhaust systems etc taht have lifetime quarantees, given your location might be worth looking at a second set of wheels and having some winter tyres fitted so absolutely no issues all year round :thumbup1:

Hey great advice - though being Devon things are few and far between! The nearest Shell station is 25 miles away at Okehampton! Or 35 miles near Exeter! So have to make do with BP 97 , Texaco 97 or Esso 98. The hubby and I have discussed the exhaust issue - ours has been "bodged" up in places to get it through its last MOT before we brought it. Because of the extensive work and cost of the work just done, we are umming and are ing weather to do it until we have to next year as so far the stainless option has not come in cheaper than £800; husband also just questioned weather the lifetime garuntee is worth the mileage left on the car - I said yes considering others on here have well over 200 thou on the clock and our scoob only 126 thou (also how much he just paid for the rest of the work!). Also just had quote to do comestic work on rust bubbling on paintwork and refurb alloys comes in at £500 ish so think exhaust will have to wait till MOT demands it's done cause of emissions or its blowing like a horn! As for tires - it came with a set of parelli  winters on it and was narked that hubby agreed with garage to change for "normal" unbranded as there was loads of life left in them! But garage owner told hubby that the car would slip and slide in the rain with them on - I wasn't happy when got home and he told me that one, previously we had a Land Rover discovery mk3 which was constantly in "limp home mode" (hence selling the darn thing) but when it wasn't it rolled and aquaplained across the roads which I hated and our scooby sticks to the road like glue compared to that!

I drove to meet friends near Launceston (80 mile round trip) yesterday on the old A361 and my scoob ate fuel but really enjoyed the driving, I have fallen in love with driving again after buying this money pit lol

• Like 1