Newb here :D and some advice?

Taiwan85

Hey guys. 
Have a confession to make, i currently do not own Subaru, but i am on the market for one currently and i'm kinda edging at getting one very soon. Only issue is right now, that i'm heavily undecided to pick a model.
So i'm hoping you guys could point me in the right direction, seeing as you would have much more knowledge in this department. 

Blob Impreza. Bascially i have a budget of roughly £7-8k for the car, I'm willing to stretch a little more for the right car.
But the dilemma, do i get a WRX and modify with wheels, coilovers, widearches etc. or do i get an STI? i'm not chasing power too much, but i do know that once i get a taste of the grunt, ill more than likely want more :( but having a limit will stop me. i do like a car to last haha.
Only going to be used for back and forth to work, and the odd spirited drive here and there. I just really want a nice looking, fun car to drive, and have settled here. Seems the best all around car imo. 
Also i work on my own cars to keep costs down, and pride'ness (if this is a word) up. haha.

so what can you guys advise?
Also is there many welsh owners? south-west region? Meets etc?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Taiwan85 welcome mate 😁

Both WRX and STI are great cars. If your looking at the blobeye shape, and with your budget I would reccomend an STI. 

The STI has most of the parts fitted from factory that you would probably want to put on your WRX if you started modifying it. Should get a nice one with your £8k budget aswell. 

or spend a couple of thousand more and get a hawkeye STI (2006-2007) which is a much better car in every way* 🏎💥💨

*in my opinion

shots fired @HawkSTI haha
i had looked at the hawk in fairness, but my budget wont stretch that far i'm afraid (atleast for an STI). And there really isnt much good responses on the hawk wrx's regarding the increase of power and engine reliability? or am i completely wrong? 
I'm not looking at doing huge launches etc, but im not saying i wont want to try it, as ive only ever driven rwd and front wheel drive cars. This will be my first into the world of usable snow cars! haha

I take it blue is the new black sort of thing? I was thinking of black or silver personally, but I do love the blue! Its the iconic colour.
Just need to find a good quality example for the money.

@Taiwan85 I was in a similar position a few months ago. I owned a 2002 wrx between 2006 and 2010 and spent a small fortune on modifying it. Basically what I ended up with after spending thousands of pounds was what I would have had if I'd of just bought an sti. 

So this time it had to be an sti. The difference between wrx and sti in standard form is huge. Stronger engine, bigger brakes, stronger 6 speed gearbox, stronger clutch, better suspension, nicer interior, more power, dccd, better wheels, all the exterior modifications like big spoiler etc....

i had a slightly bigger budget than you so a few more options and decided I wanted a blob or hawk sti. Test drove a couple of blobs and liked them, then test drove a hawk and fell in love there and then. Much better in my opinion. 

I think what puts people off the hawk is the 2.5 engine is fairly well known for ringlands and head gasket failure. But any scooby can throw up a big bill so I wouldn't buy based soley on that. 

Also most tuners will tell you that the best engine for an impreza is a forged 2.5. So if it does go just forge it and bang it back in. (I've set a couple of k's aside specifically for this purpose.)

If you do go blob, which I'd  reccomend with an £8k budget, deffo get the sti and I guarantee you'll love it 😁

13 minutes ago, Taiwan85 said:

What is the widetrack all about in relation to the pre widetrack?

The 2005 blob had upgraded running gear, DCCD and face lifted interior, tends to pull a price than the 03/04's.

Widetrack is 5mm wider on each corner. You can tell them by the little arch extensions on the back (zoom into the rear arch on my car and you will see) All hawk sti's are wide track but only the later blobs. All hawks also have the dccd, driver controlled centre diff and some late blobs have it aswell. 

IMG_0770.JPG

Ah i see, I've never noticed the slightly wider arches tbh. ill take more note of this from now on.

Blue Blobby it is. Just need to find a nice looked after one now, so i have a good base to start working on. I hate having to fix issues, which show more issues, due to pure neglect.
An STI will diminish the funds out mostly, but i do have rainy day money stashed just in case.
I will more than likely be looking into wide arching coilovers and wide wheels as its the look i enjoy. But have a few hurdles to jump through before i can get anywhere near that stage.

Thank you for the warm welcome guys! Much more helpful than the other forums that i have previously been on. Very very much appreciated! 

Is mileage an issue with these cars? I understand that they are of that age, where im going to struggle to find a low miler.
currently on eBay, I'm finding hawk sti's as cheap or cheaper than the blobs?! turmoil.

8 minutes ago, Taiwan85 said:

Is mileage an issue with these cars? I understand that they are of that age, where im going to struggle to find a low miler.
currently on ebay, I'm finding hawk sti's as cheap or cheaper than the blobs?! turmoil.

Most of the hawks you find under 10k will be spec D's, which is discrete. They are an sti but all the body styling is toned down, and they have black leather. Not my cup of tea but a good option if you  decide you want a hawk for your budget. 

A normal hawk sti should be around 10-13k for a good one, with some slightly more and the odd one a bit less. 

Blob I think anywhere from about 7k upwards for a decent one. 

52 minutes ago, Elephant said:

my brother paid 7900 for his hawk with a forged 2.5 lump in, they are out there as they are getting a bit old and the 2.5 hasnt got a good rep

£7900 for a forged hawk sti?

nope guy couldnt sell it , had to go far end of wales to pickl it up. One on facebook now for 8k in the nice black colour , uprated cosworth gaskets, remppaed etc 86k thats £8k!

Page: Sell your subaru parts uk

@Elephant spec d's are always cheaper for some reason and the black one with 468bhp is a wrx. 

The other 2 at £8k and £9k are well priced though and shouldn't hang about long. 

All the forged 2.5's I've seen have been over £12k, as it costs about £3-4K just to build the engine.