please help:'(

Tomtom

Hi all

Four months ago misses bought a 11 plate wrx sti 53000 it has not missed a beat while we have had it but the other day while on motorway it started to knock very loud took while to be able to stop not had the courage to have it looked at yet help is it £5000 new engine like I have been told cheers.

orca-image-1501938649643.jpg_1501938649801.jpeg

About that mate ( unless you go scooby clinic , their prices are mad ) but that will give you a new 100k mile plus engine , don't get a replacement scooby one get it built with uprated internals [emoji1360] , the initial outlay is expensive but will give you years of enjoyment

• Like 1

It depends mate if your happy with 400 or if one day you will want to go more? , also depends on the condition of your engine too.

The engine build for 400bhp would be around £4.5k for an engine tuner build , that's drive in drive out . if you want the engine to be capable of 500+ , it's around 5k , but then you will need injectors , mapping , turbo exhaust , intake and maybe intercooler and clutch .

I have a build thread on hear , I'm running 414 hp on an enginetuner package , I'm only running a front pipe on the exhaust , a mishimoto top mount , rcm headers and uppipe and a engine tuner spec mamba turbo .,

turbo and headers will be about £1700

+ 500 ish for injectors

+ couple hundred for exhaust depends what you go for

+ 500 ish for a new top mount , although this may not be necessary.

+ 500ish for the clutch

It can end up getting quite expensive dependant on what parts you pic

7 hours ago, Tomtom said:

Hi all

Four months ago misses bought a 11 plate wrx sti 53000 it has not missed a beat while we have had it but the other day while on motorway it started to knock very loud took while to be able to stop not had the courage to have it looked at yet help is it £5000 new engine like I have been told cheers.

orca-image-1501938649643.jpg_1501938649801.jpeg

what you do is very budget dependant. My advice would be find a tuner your happy with and get them to spec and price up a build based on needs. Engine tuner are good, scoobyclinic are good and despite what clueless kershaw says arn't mega expensive since a few folks on here use them unlike he does, neither are that close though unfortunately. 

Clueless you would have to be if your willing to spend countless thousands extra for a similar or lesser job [emoji1360] ,I'm not going to argue about it , but it's well documented on here that they over priced especially when it comes to the newer cars they try it on ! , one guy was quoted 9k for a cdb conversion on here recently , that's daylight robbery . But by all means get a quote off them just make sure your sitting down haha

3 hours ago, kershaw-330s said:

Clueless you would have to be if your willing to spend countless thousands extra for a similar or lesser job emoji1360.png ,I'm not going to argue about it , but it's well documented on here that they over priced especially when it comes to the newer cars they try it on ! , one guy was quoted 9k for a cdb conversion on here recently , that's daylight robbery . But by all means get a quote off them just make sure your sitting down haha

and where do you get this lesser job when engine tuner ring them with tech questions when they get stuck? where is it documented? im yet to see anything that when you look at whats included like for like? given each bill they do has a full break down of costs for each thing thats done you can see exactly what your getting.

You continually have a pop at them everytime yet you never actually come up with anything real, several people on here including myself use them and disagree with what you say, yet you know better without even having never even been to the place and seem to have a vendetta for no reason, is it jealousy maybe? I'm not sure, but you keep showing how totally clueless you are when you make comments about lesser jobs and such, they are the go to people for other stuck tuners all over the country, but then i guess you know more than those tuners eh ;)

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/835498-scooby-clinic.html

I can't copy links from here I don't know how to really use Tapatalk that well and to be fair I don't care there's an example above and there are plenty more if you can't be bothered to look , being inventive with prices , creating faults , telling people they need parts they don't . TBH honest I don't have a vendetta against them I just don't like seeing people get ripped off . Yes they may do a good job do the re galvanise every nut and bolt on your engine ? Not from any I've seen , do they do closed Dec inserts themselves ? No they don't , hence the turnaround on your build will be significantly higher.

I find it very unlikely that engine tuner would be on the phone to scooby clinic over tech for an engine build .yes they may share info a lot of tuners do litchfeild rcm clinic etc .

But as you are comparing clinic to engine tuner, are clinic considered the " masters of the 2.1 stroker " no , and I doubt thats been said in any reviews about them . Also where clinic involved in the development of the cosworth cs400 cars, probably not. does the owner have a framed cheque from cosworth in his office ? Hmmm doubtful

Like I've said the end product may be very similar but you pay more for it from clinic I don't know why you can't except it clinic is expensive, very expensive, which surprises me considering the little problem they had last year

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kershaw-330s said:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/835498-scooby-clinic.html

I can't copy links from here I don't know how to really use Tapatalk that well and to be fair I don't care there's an example above and there are plenty more if you can't be bothered to look , being inventive with prices , creating faults , telling people they need parts they don't . TBH honest I don't have a vendetta against them I just don't like seeing people get ripped off . Yes they may do a good job do the re galvanise every nut and bolt on your engine ? Not from any I've seen , do they do closed Dec inserts themselves ? No they don't , hence the turnaround on your build will be significantly higher.

I find it very unlikely that engine tuner would be on the phone to scooby clinic over tech for an engine build .yes they may share info a lot of tuners do litchfeild rcm clinic etc .

But as you are comparing clinic to engine tuner, are clinic considered the " masters of the 2.1 stroker " no , and I doubt thats been said in any reviews about them . Also where clinic involved in the development of the cosworth cs400 cars, probably not. does the owner have a framed cheque from cosworth in his office ? Hmmm doubtful

Like I've said the end product may be very similar but you pay more for it from clinic I don't know why you can't except it clinic is expensive, very expensive, which surprises me considering the little problem they had last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you didn't actually read through the thread? there's various replies on there. i especially like the guy complaining about being charged £58 too much, which had actually already been refunded when clinic had realised they had added RR time when it was a price without, he hadn't even notice the money had already gone back into his account lol. rest is pretty much all being full of praise lol

At the end of the day you take your car where you want, most places do an itemised list of exactly whats been done so you can see the break down on what your paying, cheaper isn't always better just as more expensive, not too mention branding doesn't mean jack.

Good example, a very well respected brand of headgaskets that were used pretty much across the board in 2.35 conversion's for many years were actually found to block half the water ways (when closed deck blocks were used) when  fitted due to feed's being slightly off set.

Another one, who was the first company to do rotate turbo's? RCM? nope, was latteral performance, so where did the design for the RCM kit come from?

You can believe what you like, but if you'd been around as long as i have you'd understand a hell of alot more rather than just thinking things have only been happening for a couple of years. You have alot to learn and assumption is the mother of all f*ckup's ;)

My big end bearing eat itself after a 10k engine build by RCM to the owner before me,only had bigger pistons put in!! When I questioned it Olly said the owner was on a budget!! Totally ripped off!! So make sure you go to a proper engine builder, I only use Three arches in Cardiff,Dean done my build on rb320 and running 410/410 bhp torque, and powerstation mapped it. Good luck bud

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My big end bearing eat itself after a 10k engine build by RCM to the owner before me,only had bigger pistons put in!! When I questioned it Olly said the owner was on a budget!! Totally ripped off!! So make sure you go to a proper engine builder, I only use Three arches in Cardiff,Dean done my build on rb320 and running 410/410 bhp torque, and powerstation mapped it. Good luck bud

The bearings weren't replaced?

46 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:
1 hour ago, Brywithay said:

Wouldn't be the first time RCM have done this despite being advised to. As I said above name and high price doesn't always mean you get a good job.

Wouldn't be the first time RCM have done this despite being advised to. As I said above name and high price doesn't always mean you get a good job.

[emoji6] Indeed it doesn't [emoji23]

• Like 1

Will admit owning my own business I know that you can only carry out work to the customers budget . Unless your 1 of those ruthless " quote cheap to get the job and then add loads of extras afterwards " type of people .

I own a few rcm bits can't fault the quality or service I received from them . Personally I do all my work myself but know budgets and skills differ.

I know a few people who use rcm 1 of which is running 320 hp on a standard uk turbo lump that's been always maintained by rcm and has currently got 230k on the clock . Another friend went in for a engine build by them and was told the excessive knock and noise he was getting was due to a badly fitted fmic .

Endoscope bores proved therebuild wasn't needed and it's done 20k since without any issues .

Basically I'm saying if you can't afford to run a performance car don't buy 1 . Certainly don't bad mouth other companies that recommend a full rebuild ,don't take their advice and then complain when it goes bang [emoji6]

Rcm isn't cheap but they know their stuff imo . But have a chat with the likes of Alyn at asperformance or r.m performance for a cheaper alternative

• Like 1

Cheers all we have found a ready to go 440 bhp with only 11000 on it the owner got rear ended my pal has checked everything out and it will be in next Monday can't wait :-);-)

All I'm saying is after previous owner spent 10k on engine build to be told it's fully forged but only thing in build that wasn't standard was the omega pistons. No uprated conrods,race bearings etc etc which for 10k you would like to think they are included lol. But RCM do very good fuel pumps and ceramic headers which I do have now on the car.

• Like 1

Sorry (just re read my post) I'd had a few scrumpy's and didn't mean for my post to come across as a rant .

After all I've never had any work done by them myself and although they're expensive , I've never seen anything but good feedback on rcm's work .

I do still find it a bit hard to believe that they charged £10 k for a engine build that didn't include at least a bottom end refresh . Especially as my mate had his scoob booked in for a £5k rebuild (over the phone) and once they looked over his scoob , they told him he didn't need a rebuild (seem fairly honest of them ) .

Sorry to the op for spamming your thread , but this is a friendly forum and I didn't want my post to be taken the wrong way .

Best of luck with the build and running in's a !Removed! [emoji23]

• Like 1

Ohhhhhhh yes its in just finished 3 hours of checks and 30 mins of absolute blast time wow from standard to 447bhp is just what the doc ordered pulls like a fighter jet on take off along with the new rubber she now come back to life with a mean streak!!!!!! Thanks to all for every bit of advice happy driving ;-)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tomtom said:

Ohhhhhhh yes its in just finished 3 hours of checks and 30 mins of absolute blast time wow from standard to 447bhp is just what the doc ordered pulls like a fighter jet on take off along with the new rubber she now come back to life with a mean streak!!!!!! Thanks to all for every bit of advice happy driving ;-)

happy days!!

• Like 1

Beags 

I got the engine from a friend of a friend who was desperate for cash 1800 it cost him 7800 and my pal and I did all the work using a friends garage and then rolling road hence why I know the bhp really got lucky to be honest to have the right friends and contacts. Went for a blast to Dorset and back this afternoon and the car has not missed a beat and on way came across all sorts that got blown into last week loving the mid range pull just epic !!!!!!!!