Winning noise

Scooby snigs

Hi I have a mk1 impress and it's developed  a winning noise. I can't pin point where it's coming from had car to local garage  but they can't find anything wrong . They have checked all transmission  oil levels and checked for play in wheel bearings but are left scratching their head's .the noise gets worse with speed & at 60-70mph is drowning the Stereo out . Any ideas what to check ?

Did they drive it at 70 ? To see for them selves or was it just on ramps that it was checked ?

My guess is of they haven't it's a diff/ or bearing issue when my wheel bearing failed there was no signs of play just got louder and louder until it started to cook itself, have a drive around and then touch each wheel centre see if ones excessively hotter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

road drive it on clear road and rock steering left to right and see if noise stops when loaded , if does should be wheel bearing .

Rear dif is very distinguishable noise and generally very easy tell it rear . Diff noise normally worsens at speed in corners .

If noise can be produced on ramp running in gear should find likely area in 10 minutes with screwdriver and funnel or stethoscope .

I had the same sort of issue when i hit boost , loud whining coming from the passenger side front .... it soon disappeared once the wife wasn't in the scoob [emoji23]

On a serious note (as Mr b said) try coasting around corners (clutch dipped or in neutral) to see if the noise gets worse when either side is under load . This might help pinpoint a bearing issue .

Or when driving at the speed that causes the noise ,see if coasting lessens the noise . If so it might indicate that the diff is worn if it's quiet when not under load.

Best of luck , bud

Firstly thanks for your replies . When I took car into garage they road tested it themselves . Then put it on ramp & checked fluid  levels +checked  for play on wheels non found . I recently did a motorway run (about 15 mile each way , I felt the wheels all round car none of them were hot at all .I have tried coasting with car out of gear, no differance,tried lock to lock ,no difference either , guy at garage said leave it till it gets worse but don't want it to go all at once (you know it will happen when you need it most lol).I can't make my mind up if it's a diff noise or wheel bearing noise ,it's a type of dry running noise if that makes sense?.thank's 

wheel bearing I expect, diff normally changes noise pitch as load/unload via throttle and normally very easy pinpoint noise .

Best way with bearings is run it in gear on lift and use stethoscope on hubs, normally easy distinguish noisy ones out of the 4 this way .
If do bearings only use japan bearing kits as not much more cost but 10 times the quality .