Esl mapper options

Hi,

This has quite possibly been done to death over a lot of forums but i'm coming up fruitless in my searches, they are all old posts or the mappers websites are not optimised properly to come up on google searches in the first few pages.

I now have an ESL board and a few bits and pieces (v1 yellow injectors, Decat up pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump) ready for a remap and will have the cash at the end of the month to get it done, I am stuck with the question, who do i get to do it?

I live near Shrewsbury and dont really want to travel too far incase i need adjustments made afterwards.

Duncan at race dynamix has been spoken about and I have found his website. I have heard good and bad things, my own dealings with him so far have been multiple emails ignored and several days delay in replying to texts, the one time i phoned he hung up on me, his website does say to text though.

Andy Carr got recommended to me recently, but again im finding good and bad things in forum posts, most are generally years old though.

Slo-boy racing in london come up in searches

There is obviously Andy Forrest but he is way up in Scotland.

Can anyone please drop some names and experiences. Thanks.

Oh, also i have a stainless steel downpipe with a sports cat on already, it has a sensor in it after the cat, i guess to measure temps but it is not connected to anything as the wire is too short and and the mechanic who fitted it says it doesnt matter. The original down pipe had a sensor in before the cat. Do I need to get the sensor ready to be attached for the map, will it make a difference? Thanks.

Bob rawle, martyn Jeffery, pat herborn

These guys have been recommended by others this evening on The forum that shall not be named :biggrin:

I was checking out Bob Rawle and liking what i was reading when someone posted this

Bob Rawle goes to Chevron Motorsport in Staffordshire. Not far from you.
Call Simon and enquire thumb.gif

Perfect! I have just sent him an email and shall see what he says. Here's hoping he's not booked until next year sometime :unsure:

10 hours ago, Scoobyghost said:

Another map thread and more of this rubbish. When will you let it go emoji23.png

Racedynamics mapped my car twice now and had no drama. I'm highly mileage, I've done track days and pod runs. Its been perfect.

you said that before piggy went for a map and look how that turned out. He's enept at best.

Your gonna get issues now and again no mater who you are, I can accept that, its how you deal with them that sets you apart.

Everytime his name is mentioned on SN people come out with complaints about him. Given you know what experiences people are having with him im amazed you'll let him anywhere near your car tbh, even a broken clock is right, twice a day.

20 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

I'd rather take my two, first hand experiences against the one sided stories I'm always hearing.

Can we apply the same logic to you leaving your car at clinic? We've all seen the footage.

You could argue the point yes, how ever its one incident vs dozens.

I've had my cars mapped by Duncan a few times over the years 3 times rcm and once on the road my mates had his mapped a couple times by him and his dad had his mapped by him all turned out very good and I would use him every time all I see about him is bad biggest problem I've found with him is getting hold of him took 4 weeks to reply to a text before which I find really bad but just deal with it when i 1st spoke to him about my current car I was thinking esl but got the impression he don't like mapping them as all he did was list bad things but then got a alcatek ecu cheap which the guy got off Duncan so worked out good I think a lot of it is personal preference biggest plus with Duncan tho is he don't try to sell you anything

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

One proven incident, many more covered up by clinics aggressive threats of court action. Dozens of proven incidents or second hand "my mate" had this done.

The problem with this situation is you can never get every detail. Noone can go without ever making mistakes so of course it happens to everyone. How do you or I know that every car that's been mapped is in perfect health before it enters mapping. Does the guy that had his mapped want to look like an idiot when there's an issue caused because he fitted massive injectors 6 weeks before mapping, bore washed his oil, got mapped and then still ran on diluted oil. We know the end results. How about all those that advocate fitting a decat with no remap. Run lean for a month because they enjoy the sound, the extra boost, get mapped and oh look more issues...everyone will blame the mapper.

The difference is his technical knowledge and working practices are known to be bad, he doesn't even road test cars after mapping, that isn't opinion, its a known fact.

He's been drummed off 22b, SN and other sites and its Andy forrest who first called him dung khan, so take what you want form it, but when you get the top mappers/tuners in the country saying he's bad then it's up to you if you want to believe it or not.

It sounds like you have been lucky to say the least, but sooner or later it will bite you in the **** im sure.

You've got me here being mapped twice, Swino 3-4 times. That's 5-6 maps all with good feedback regarding work. I know of 3 others who have been mapped and are happy.

My cars been mapped since January and no issues. If something goes wrong now I can hardly go back and say it must've been the map. If there's a mapping issue it's usually instantly obvious or gets picked up on very quickly.

• Like 1

My v3 uk turbo was mapped with esl twice by duncan't. 1st time it wouldn't idle right and kept bringing up the eml when i hit boost at wot .

2 wks later he tweeked it for free but 6 months later a dyno run showed a crazy rich afr that looked like a ECG.

Dyno operator said I'd have to drive everywhere on boost to avoid bore wash . When i asked Duncan why ? I was told "what do I expect it's a old car "

My current mapper (clive attowe ) gets it right first time and I haven't found any negative stuff about him online anywhere. But he not cheap for base maps and only maps from his own dyno in Norwich.

I don't often get involved in mud slinging but I've had a few scrumpies and feel I need to let it out lol .

Best of luck to the op finding someone your happy with, cos at the end of the day it's your car and money bud

• Like 1

I agree with what nearly all of you have said in some form or other.  Personally I would rather go with someone who communicates like a business should, Duncan might be a good guy and might be better than his internet forum history suggests, but he is awful at communicating with his customer base. That put me off him straight away. Its a lot of money to give to someone who wont even speak to you via email which he can answer from his living room chair with a stella in his hand and feet in a foot spa.

I have researched about 6 mappers, and the guy I have booked my car in with is Bob Rawle, I have to go to Swindon to get it done but I dont mind that for good customer service and promising internet history.

I have been chatting to him for about a week getting all sorts of advice and help without even having to agree to book it in. Once we had agreed upon what work I would be better off completing before getting it mapped I settled on Sept 5th.

I am currently sat beside a second hand slanty intercooler trying to straighten fins, this will replace my dead one.

I have newage coil packs that will be fitted at the end of the month,

yellow 440's that are being ultrasonicly cleaned and fitted at the same time as everything else, the end of the month,

3 bar map sensor that is being posted out atm,

Walbro 255 fuel pump,

Decat downpipe I will order on payday,

I have found a td05 that I am considering getting, my argument is that I can get andy to put a td05 map on the esl which will make the journey down to Swindon a bit easier. Other wise its going to suck! Bob said that I had to have everything fitted a few days before so I know that everything works before coming down as he doesnt have a garage to fit anything or time for me to fix anything that doesnt work once fitted and found to be faulty. He said the original ecu wont like the changes but once driven for a while off boost will slightly adapt and be driveable if i stay off boost.

i am taking the ECU out of my car later today and sticking in a manky replacement (same version), I will send mine off to get the board fitted tomorrow. So will make my mind up tonight about the td05, (although i think it already is :laugh:)

• Like 2