Fuel Leak?

Seminole81

Right so as suggested, was filling up tonight after work. Always fill it to the brim, and I mean literally to the brim, like fuel up through the filler neck so it's nearly sloshing out when I put the cap back on. So I normally add a few more quid once it clicks off. Anyway, did the same as always and put the pump back and the heard what sounded like a leak, so I got under the car to have a look...this is what I found.

A massive puddle of fuel. Now, it could be because I overfilled it, however I've done this multiple times before and never had this problem? Maybe the filler neck has rotted out as it seems to be drained from there when I went back and looked? I am not interested in dropping the tank if I can avoid it as it looks a massive pain in the ****, plus I've got a full tank of fuel in there at the moment too. It appears to be coming from near the top for sure. Only other thing I could think of is the seal around where you access the pump at has gone/isn't right from when I changed to her Walbro pump, although I would of thought that would of shown up earlier as it's been in for a few month now.

Pics below. I've got video with some more close ups if anyone is interested in seeing that lemme know and I'll pop a text through?

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

I don't think literally brimming it will have helped. The auto cut off is there for a reason. Were you parked on a slope at all, compared to normal?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, david1972 said:

I don't think literally brimming it will have helped. The auto cut off is there for a reason. Were you parked on a slope at all, compared to normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it multiple times as you can normally get another £5 or so in. This is the first time it's leaked like that. It was flat surface at the garage.

1 hour ago, Scoobyghost said:

You should always leave some space in the tank for expansion.

Explain? Never heard of that before. Petrol shouldn't expand? Also check your PMs. Think I have an idea on what it is now though, just haven't had time to double check it yet.

59 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

If theres no running issues on boost id have a guess at the return to tank pipe on top of the fuel pump access opening or the seal on the access opening

No issues at all. The car wasn't even started when it was leaking, so doubt its the return to tank line. But it's stopped now and there's nothing under car this morning, which again leads me to the same thought as you. Could be the seal on the access opening OR it could be the filler neck as it seems it's all leaked out of that. It's definitely coming from the upper side of the tank as you can see it's came down from the top. Car still shows tank as full.

11 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Wouldn't some fuel end up going down the vent pipes to the charcoal canister?

Hmm, possibly. Depends. I thought that was more for separating water out anyways though...

I'm sure @stants had an issue with the seal, so he might know more about that bit more? Suppose I best get the car up and have a look then...planning on tossing the new(old) exhaust on tomorrow if all goes to plan so could have a look then.

You should always leave some space in the tank for expansion.

Explain? Never heard of that before. Petrol shouldn't expand? Also check your PMs. Think I have an idea on what it is now though, just haven't had time to double check it yet.

If theres no running issues on boost id have a guess at the return to tank pipe on top of the fuel pump access opening or the seal on the access opening

No issues at all. The car wasn't even started when it was leaking, so doubt its the return to tank line. But it's stopped now and there's nothing under car this morning, which again leads me to the same thought as you. Could be the seal on the access opening OR it could be the filler neck as it seems it's all leaked out of that. It's definitely coming from the upper side of the tank as you can see it's came down from the top. Car still shows tank as full.

Wouldn't some fuel end up going down the vent pipes to the charcoal canister?

Hmm, possibly. Depends. I thought that was more for separating water out anyways though...

I'm sure @stants had an issue with the seal, so he might know more about that bit more? Suppose I best get the car up and have a look then...planning on tossing the new(old) exhaust on tomorrow if all goes to plan so could have a look then.

I have replied to pm.

Petrol doesn't exactly expand its more the fumes and vapour it gives off when warm/hot. Should always fill up when cold too, petrol is denser and it all starts getting scientific. Not massively though but if it was totally full and left in the sun it's not pretty. We have a lot of fuel cans on site and some pleb once left it next to an exhaust of a diesel compressor. The can expanded and eventually burst. Not in a catastrophic exciting way. Just developed a small hole.

3 hours ago, Scoobyghost said:

I have replied to pm.

Petrol doesn't exactly expand its more the fumes and vapour it gives off when warm/hot. Should always fill up when cold too, petrol is denser and it all starts getting scientific. Not massively though but if it was totally full and left in the sun it's not pretty. We have a lot of fuel cans on site and some pleb once left it next to an exhaust of a diesel compressor. The can expanded and eventually burst. Not in a catastrophic exciting way. Just developed a small hole.

Saw it, will reply later mate.

yeah, I can understand that fumes/vapor. Not totally full and left in the sun though. I use about a gallon to get back from the petrol station...

And that's a different storey lol, leaving next to a hot exhaust yeah that's just stupid.

2 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Subaru turbo tanks are never full for long anyways but fill it up again ,hit 88mph ,flick a match outta your window, go back to 1994 and get me a newer version of my 94 sti emoji23.png

Exactly. I use about a gallon to get home from the petrol station 😂😳😂 and sounds good, I'll take you with so we can bring two back! 😈

• Like 1

From what I understood the charcoal canister does is as you put fuel in, air has to go out so it could vent out the canister while catching the fuel vapour.

As you use fuel, air has to get into the tank and does so from there.

Also when parked and expansion of vapours etc.

When you start your car the engine sucks in the trapped fuel vapour to burn.

Think it's to do with not polluting the air with fuel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk