Flat battery

Strider

I have had a 2013 Subaru Forester XE petrol, which I bought second hand from a Subaru dealer, for a few months. It is an automatic (CVT) with stop start technology. I didn't drive it for around a month and it appears that the Battery in the car has gone flat as it will not start and the remote key will not work. The car is in my drive at home.

I am assuming it is not the Battery in my car keys, as I have two and it seems unlikely that both batteries have gone flat at the same time!

Luckily I joined the RAC through my insurance and have cover at home if I breakdown. My main question is, if the Battery needs replacing, do I have to get the ECU reprogrammed at a Subaru garage? As I read with AGM batteries this may be necessary. AGM batteries are quite expensive, I would prefer to avoid having to pay to have the ECU reprogrammed as well! I also read that you should not jump start AGM batteries.

I know little about cars. I past my driving test a few months ago (I am 56). I just want the Subaru for driving out to the countryside and shopping. So far I really like it, apart from the Battery problem.

I may get either a solar charger or an intelligent trickle charger, as I have read that the battery is likely to go flat if left for any length of time.

Is it safe to use a trickle charger from the mains to my car outside?

I am waiting for the RAC to arrive, maybe I will be lucky and the battery won't need replacing!

David

So the Battery is OK. The RAC guy jump started it. Everything seems fine,so I am hoping I do not need to get the ECU reprogrammed. The RAC guy advised me to turn off the stop start technology as it drains the engine quicker. I will probably do this. I am on the edge of London,but am usually heading out of London so it's not like I am stuck in traffic that much anyway.

If anyone has any experience of using solar or trickle chargers I would be grateful if you would let me know if they are a good idea and which ones to buy. Or maybe I will just drive more often!

David

Get yourself a CTek charger and if you don't use the car on a regular basis you can charge the Battery once a week for a few hours and all should be fine. Even though they are advertised as 'intelligent chargers' do not leave it charging the Battery for weeks on end as it will eventually destroy the Battery. Also your ECU will be fine, you don't need to have it reprogrammed 

Link to charger here... Click

I got a Ring Smart charger from Halfords which seems pretty good. It works fine. I didn't read the instructions carefully enough, it says the negative Battery clip should be attached to a bolt or bracket on the engine block (earth). I attached it to the negative terminal of the Battery. Does this matter? Obviously it has already been jump started by the RAC and the leads were connected to the positive and negative terminals of the Battery.

If I should attach the negative Battery clip from the charger  to earth in future are there any particular places I should connect it to on the engine block on a 2013 Forester?

I've read connecting to the Battery negative could (although unlikely) fry delicate electrical parts, but that's when jumping from another car.
I guess connecting to the earth would put a serial connection to the Battery and not a parallel connection?

When reading up on a 2006ish Audi I saw that when connecting a Battery it should be fully charged, to do with a 'Battery management' computer.

Did you not drive it because you were on holiday? If not and you leave it standing often, it's good to start it for 5 or 10 so minutes every week or so, get fluids circulating and pumping the oil around the inside of the engine.
That's just what I would do anyway, also keeps your battery charged.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Mark D said:

I've read connecting to the battery negative could (although unlikely) fry delicate electrical parts, but that's when jumping from another car.
I guess connecting to the earth would put a serial connection to the battery and not a parallel connection?

To connect batteries in a series, you need to use jumper wire to connect the negative terminal of the first Battery to the positive terminal of the second Battery. This would give you a 24V output, so has absolutely nothing to do with this situation

When reading up on a 2006ish Audi I saw that when connecting a battery it should be fully charged, to do with a 'battery management' computer.

That's when refitting a Battery, if it isn't fully charged the Battery management on the Audi will throw an error and not allow the car to start. Again nothing to do with this situation

Did you not drive it because you were on holiday? If not and you leave it standing often, it's good to start it for 5 or 10 so minutes every week or so, get fluids circulating and pumping the oil around the inside of the engine.
That's just what I would do anyway, also keeps your battery charged.

One of the quickest ways to wear out an engine and components is to start the vehicle once a week for 5 or 10 minutes. The engine never gets up to full working temperature therefore causing excess wear and tear, the carbon build up inside the engine will eventually cause poor running issues and excessive fuel consumption. There is also the added caveat that if it is a diesel vehicle the DPF would soon fill up and never have the chance of burning the soot causing further problems. 

Best just stick the Battery conditioner on once every week or two for  few hours to keep the Battery topped up and when you do take the vehicle out don't just take it to the local shops and back, go for a good run to get everything up to temperature 

One of the quickest ways to wear out an engine and components is to start the vehicle once a week for 5 or 10 minutes. The engine never gets up to full working temperature therefore causing excess wear and tear, the carbon build up inside the engine will eventually cause poor running issues and excessive fuel consumption. There is also the added caveat that if it is a diesel vehicle the DPF would soon fill up and never have the chance of burning the soot causing further problems. 

Best just stick the battery conditioner on once every week or two for  few hours to keep the battery topped up and when you do take the vehicle out don't just take it to the local shops and back, go for a good run to get everything up to temperature 

I got tea bagged :|

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk