2010 6 speed diesel DIED after owning it for 24 hours...

ZenRegalia

So, we won our 2010 Forester in an auction and flew to the North of Sweden to return 1000km home to Stockholm.

We were overjoyed with the vehicle for the entire drive.  Our first child is due in 2 months and this car was intended to be in the family for the next 4 to 5 years.

20 minutes from home, the engine popped out of gear and the engine immediately cut-off.

Preliminary diagnosis has to do with a lack of compression in the cams that prevent the drive shaft from turning... this is a best case scenario.  Otherwise the entire engine need be replaced.

Any thoughts on this situation?  Is there a commonplace problem premised in these issues?

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Michael

Sorry to hear about you're problems unfortunately the diesel boxer engines have suffered quite a few problems although i've never had a scoob diesel i have read that they suffer from crankshaft failure so that could be the reason for no compression and if thats the case you can get the crank replaced or it could be just as economical to get another engine dependant on cost of course ☺

Thanks for the input my friend... I haven't owned a vehicle for about 6 or 7 years, tho I've probably rented about 40 or 50 during those intervening years.  I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to contemporary costs... you have a ballpark idea of what a new engine might run for one of these puppies?  THANK YOU for your comments and wisdom...

2 hours ago, ZenRegalia said:

So, we won our 2010 Forester in an auction and flew to the North of Sweden to return 1000km home to Stockholm.

We were overjoyed with the vehicle for the entire drive.  Our first child is due in 2 months and this car was intended to be in the family for the next 4 to 5 years.

20 minutes from home, the engine popped out of gear and the engine immediately cut-off.

Preliminary diagnosis has to do with a lack of compression in the cams that prevent the drive shaft from turning... this is a best case scenario.  Otherwise the entire engine need be replaced.

Any thoughts on this situation?  Is there a commonplace problem premised in these issues?

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Michael

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same problem with an early 2010 diesel model.  On changing gear there was a short grinding sound, the gear popped out and then the engine cut off.  The car never started again.  A mechanic confirmed there were fairly big chunks of metal in the sump.  Does yours have a fairly high mileage?